DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding/Event Videography Training Resources (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/49464-wedding-event-videography-training-resources.html)

Glen Elliott August 16th, 2005 09:42 PM

Wedding/Event Videography Training Resources

In the past few years I’ve noticed a growing onset of training material geared specifically for the Wedding/Event Videographer. Until recently the only training available has been about standard cinematography concepts covering topics ranging from exposure, framing, audio, etc. While I concede that these fundamentals are important- a vacancy still remained for material relating directly to the field in which we work.

Interestingly enough wedding/event videography is arguably the most challenging form of the craft, thus making it quite a compelling candidate for this sort of topical training. Everything from the location to the lighting is mostly out of our hands. There are no re-takes, the events occur around you in real-time allowing only one chance to get the shot. Even when you effectively capture a “realistic” representation of the day often times you then have to add your artistry in post-production to beautify the imagery, lessen the inherent “hectic” mood, and accentuate the emotions felt and shared by the family and friends that doesn’t always convey as prominently when watching it on video.

Despite the increasing prevalence of this Wedding/Event Videography training there still is still a large percentage of videographers that are simply unaware of it’s existence and/or do not have the resources to find it all. The producers of this material aren’t part of large corporations with billion dollar marketing campaigns- they are no different than you and me. In the trenches, or should I say “churches”, every weekend, editing backlogs, and dealing with customers in the very same way you and I do. This doesn’t make the information and concepts they teach any less poignant. In fact what better teachers could there be? All of the authors of this training material are industry leaders in some way or another, excelling at one or more facets of the Wedding/Event Videography.

I’m grateful to each and every one of these videographers- not only did they take the time to produce this material- in doing so they also exhibit a very generous nature, sharing much of what people would consider their “trade secrets”. In fact not only do I feel they are helping individual videographers but the industry as a whole. The more solid Wedding/Event Videographers there are the more respect and legitamacy we’ll gain as an industry.

I can honestly say Wedding/Event training material has been instrumental in my continued growth as a Videographer. I hope all of you find these materials as invaluable and resourceful as I have.

Note: This thread will be updated as regularly as I discover more materials. If you have any questions or know of others that aren’t yet listed please PM me. Stay tuned for the first of the listings.

In the near future I'll take some time and write up more detailed descriptions if need be- and include some personal reviews of particular materials.

Glen Elliott August 16th, 2005 10:06 PM

PICTURE THIS PRODUCTIONS- Mark & Trish Von Lanken

http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/videographers.shtml

MOVING CAMERA TECHNIQUES
Go Behind the scenes and learn how to get fluid, smooth motion with handheld and shoulder mount cameras.

BREAKING OUT OF THE BOX
Unique & creative wedding shooting and editing techniques

CINEMATIC LOVE STORIES
Learn how to create cinematic Love Stories with moving camera techniques.

WEDDING DAY EDITS
Go behind the scenes on the wedding day edit.

DEMO CD
Great ideas on pricing and marketing your services.

Glen Elliott August 16th, 2005 10:10 PM

THE WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHER'S RESOURCE SERIES- Joel Peregrine

http://www.eventvideographer.com/

VOLUME ONE
The Highlights Montage, Wedding-Day Edit and Pre-Ceremony coverage with bonus Photo Montages. These are the segments that showcase your creative talents and ability to convey emotion. Through logical shot progression and editing that strives not to draw attention to itself these sections can have a powerful emotional effect. The content is accompanied by a commentary track providing explanations of camera technique, shot composition and post production considerations.

VOLUME TWO
The ceremony, post-ceremony, reception, bloopers and bonus opening/recap montages. The Highlights Montage or a Wedding-Day Edit may show couples and their families what is possible, but the main sections of a wedding video have to be of the same production value. The content is accompanied by a commentary track providing explanations of how to prepare for and shoot multi-camera coverage when you choose to do everything yourself.

FULL WEDDING
One complete wedding exactly as the client received it. Included are the highlights, pre-ceremony, ceremony, post-ceremony and reception.

Glen Elliott August 16th, 2005 10:20 PM

Creative Video Productions- Brett Culp, JT Fannin, & Monica Arellano

www.CVPinspiration.com

INSPIRATION PACK "the missing think"
In this set, Brett Culp pulls back the curtain on the creative techniques that have transformed CVP from a sole proprietorship into a ground-breaking team of digital video professionals in three short years.
The Inspiration Pack goes beyond simply telling you what the team at CVP does, but why and how they do it. And in the process of learning, you will become infected with the “running-through-the-halls, breaking-the-rules, staying-true-to-your-vision, doing-the-unexpected” mentality that has become the hallmark of CVP.

Efficiency DVD "the missing link"
The secret formula of CVP’s success in wedding production work is Creativity + Efficiency. While Creativity can set your productions apart from the competition, Efficiency insures profitability.
In this DVD, JT Fannin explains the secrets of the CVP “production model” that allows for a unique combination of template-based systemization and client customization.

Image DVD "the missing ink"
In this easy-to-understand DVD, Monica Arellano of CVP simplifies the process of creating beautiful graphics for production titles, DVD menus, and cases & labels.
Good graphic design doesn’t have to be complicated. You can create impressive images through a clearer understanding of the basic rules of design and separate yourselves from the competition.
Rather than focusing on techniques for using a particular software program, this DVD is a “crash course” in graphic design. These concepts will increase the quality of your images in any graphic design or titling computer program.

Glen Elliott August 17th, 2005 08:38 PM

DVideography- Dave Williams

www.dvideography.com/pro

SMOOTH MOVES
In Smooth Moves, Dave Williams - long-time Glidecam operator and certified Steadicam operator - shares tips and on-the-job examples of award winning video he has created with the Glidecam 4000 Pro camera stabilizer.
Dave attracts high-end clients in event videography as well as corporate videography with his unique and easy-to-learn style of shooting. The twelve learning modules are fun to watch and soon, you'll be shooting exciting footage that your clients will love (and pay for).
Smooth Moves II will be released soon and will be shipped at no charge to anyone who purchased Smooth Moves after August 1st, 2005. The new version will include new footage, extended balancing exercises, and new information about Glidecam's newest product, the Smooth Shooter.

Glen Elliott August 18th, 2005 03:18 PM

Watson Videography- Chris Watson

www.dynamovideo.com/education.html

SECRETS TO CREATING EMOTIONALLY CHARGED VIDEOS Vol. 1
In this rapidly expanding industry, it will take more than the best camera and latest NLE to set yourself apart. For today's bride, it isn't about effects but how well you tell the story. In this fast paced instructional DVD, you will learn the secrets to creating emotionally charged videos.
Also included are two bonus lessons and 30 minutes worth of clips to study.

SECRETS TO CREATING EMOTIONALLY CHARGED VIDEOS Vol. 2
Continuing where it left off in Vol 1., this DVD shows you more postproduction techniques that will take your wedding videos to the next level. You will learn techniques such as "the punchline", "the evolving
shot", and "using anchoring devices" that will help you maximize the emotion impact of your videos. We also deconstruct a highlights piece using the "flashback edits" style and show you not only how to produce one but also why it works so well.
Bonus materials include the original DFWPVA presentation this video was based on, as well as 20 minutes of source clips for study.

WATSON VIDEOGRAPHY SAMPLER
Over 2 hours of content including various wedding clips, award winning clips, out of town weddings, ethnic weddings, as well as a full wedding production.
A great companion piece to Volume 1 and 2 of our educational series or as a stand-alone product.

Glen Elliott August 23rd, 2005 06:06 PM

PixelPops Design- Lance Gray, Russ Jolly, Brian Gunn

http://www.pixelpops.com
or
http://www.pixelpops-shop.com

PopDrops
DVD Menu Templates & Packaging Designs - Customizable, Multi-Layered .PSD Files

PixelMixer
DVD Case & Disc Designer - Photoshop Actions

Pop-Ins
Video Title Screens - Photoshop Actions - Great for Titling Event Videos and Photo Montages

Photoshop Training Videos (for Wedding & Event Videographers)
3D Photo Montage Training Video (Photoshop & After Effects Techniques to Create the 3D Fly-Through Look)

PopSite Web Design & Hosting
http://www.pixelpops.com/webdesign/w...popsites.shtml
Web Designs Serving the Wedding & Event Videographer Community

Glen Elliott August 24th, 2005 03:33 PM

Cannon Video Productions- John Goolsby

http://www.weddingvideocoach.com

THE BUSINESS OF WEDDING AND SPECIAL EVENT VIDEOGRAPHY
Includes 184 pages and 20 Chapters that include * On Location Audio Recording * How to Price Your Services * Where to Get Customers* How to Edit with Style * …and more. It received Four Stars from VideoMaker Magazine, was called “Indispensable” by eventDV Magazine and was “Book of the Month” in Popular Photography. It is also on the required reading list for the WEVA Merited Professional Videographer Program.

John has presented over 250 seminars and workshops on the art and business of wedding videography and is a Multi-Year WEVA Creative Excellence Award Winner, a presenter at WEVA EXPO 15 years in a row, a Wedding Video Hall of Fame inductee and the recipient of the Bob LeBar Vision Award for Innovation and Entrpreneurial spirit.

Glen Elliott December 11th, 2005 01:35 PM

Summit Video Productions- Ken Ehrhart’s

http://4evergroup.moorecastsites.com/20467_2793.asp

"Your demo is the finest I have EVER seen. It has everything. It's beautifully shot, perfectly paced and elegantly stylized... all without being overly emotional. In other words, it’s real and honest as well as creative and artistic. The timing and mixture of sound bites is executed to perfection. This is the kind of work that needs to get into the hands of Wedding Coordinators, other vendors and other Wedding Videograpers. They all need to really SEE, HEAR and FEEL what the evolution of our craft has become. Thanks, Ken, for showing us all what is possible."
- RANDY STUBBS commenting on Ken Ehrhart’s Award-Winning DEMO

STORYteller MARKETING BOOK
This is the exact book Ken uses everyday in his business. It’s a “coffee table” book that’s specifically designed to market clients both at and away from his studio. Typically, it’s given to consultants, caterer’s, bridal shops, tux shops, photographers… anyone connected with the wedding industry who can potentially refer clients to him. It presents a high-end image that’s “eye catching” and yet easy to read and understand. It’s not “fluffy sales cliché’s”… it’s full of information for the serious bride and/or the casual reader.

“WOW! This book is unbelievable. Whenever I’m feeling burnt out or at a creative dead-end… I look at the marketing samples in this book and once again draw inspiration from the well of knowledge. Amazing example after amazing example.”
Carrie Blevins (Love Stories by Carrie - Phoenix, Arizona)

“COLLECTED WORKS” SAMPLE DVD-R
This is a collection of Ken Ehrhart’s amazing body of work. Over TWO-HOURS in length… it contains his CE Award-winning STORYteller DEMO, a full-length example of a STORYteller Movie Biography, two CE Award winning Ceremony productions, his 2002 “Battle of the Editing Styles” sample and a BONUS: High School SENIOR highlight production that “must be seen to be believed”.

“I’ve admired Ken’s work for years. It’s true creative art of the highest order. If you’re serious about improving your craft, this is a must see.”
David Chandler-Gick (A Deveraux Film - Fort Wayne, Indiana)

INFORMATIONAL PORTFOLIO
A twin pocket informational portfolio for clients who meet with Ken for a private consultation. It contains information and marketing handouts like... an article on choosing the Right Professional Videographer, a Guide to Great STORYteller Movies, a Camera Placement diagram, price brochure, even a contract.

“I began implementing Ken’s marketing and promotional ideas several years ago and I’ve seen them work, first hand. I’ve now got a very professional, high-end look… that’s attracting high-end brides with high-end dollars. Thanks Ken!”
Lisa Hempstead (Let’s Make A Scene Video - Madison, Wisconsin)

VIDEOGRAPHER’S MANUAL
A “must have” portable training manual that’s jam-packed with information. This carefully designed
educational data-book will be useful to anyone you hire to work with you, from a seasoned video professional to a “wanna-be” weekend hobbyist. It describes, in great detail, exactly what the a shooter’s
thought process and actions should be when working for and/or with Ken on a shoot.

“Ken's depth of knowledge and willingness to share is nothing short of exceptional... it's like having my own personal tutor accessible at any time. My business has benefited and I've more than gotten my money's worth with his help and materials”

Tammy Miller (PushPoint Productions - Gaithersburg, Maryland)

Glen Elliott September 7th, 2006 05:37 PM

GmElliott Videography- Glen Elliott

www.GmElliottVideo.com/training

GmElliott Videography Training Volume 1
features a wedding videography production in its entirety. A very first for me, as I've shown short excerpts but never an entire production in its entirety. It will also include all the original menus and buttons to view how I handle DVD authoring/design.

Educational content includes a full running commentary track that can be toggled on an off at any time in which I will give you insight into the production of this wedding event. I will discuss the various methods which I employ to create a more emotional edit. I also discuss concepts and methodology including shooting all the way through the post-production process.

Additionally there are two unique features I call Information HUDs. If you see a particular shot you liked and wondered what wide-angle lens was used and/or how the shot was acquired (handheld, monopod, glidecam, etc) you can simply toggle on the Information HUD (via your DVD remote's Subtitle button) that will display the Lens and support method used for any particular shot in the wedding.

Lastly there is a second Information HUD that displays the original questions asked to the client to evoke the answers which were subsequently used as voice-overs in the original video.