DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   B Cam suggestions for the 5D II? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/494746-b-cam-suggestions-5d-ii.html)

Denny Kyser April 18th, 2011 05:10 PM

B Cam suggestions for the 5D II?

I sold my EX1r's and no longer offering video coverage for weddings. I am sticking to photography which I have been successfully doing for 10 years and will do some fusion stuff for my personal use but thats it.

I just was unable to make it worth it for me and in our case doing both has too many draw backs.

I do have a few weddings this year that we are to do 1 camera, straight edit video.

I will also do some fun fusion stuff for my high school seniors, or maybe even love story e sessions but nothing on the wedding day besides the few I have left.

I have some really nice L glass, 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 16-35 2.8, 24-105 4.0, 70-200 2.8 IS II and love the video with the 5D II.
I do however have 2 catholic weddings this fall that are 1 hour services and need to make sure I have them covered well.

My dslr bodies are (2) 1D IV's and a 5D II and possibly a 3rd 1D IV if the cost to repair is not too much. ( I dropped it on a high school track and cracked the case near the prism)

I will always play with some video for marketing and other things but most what I do is low light.

I am wanting to spend no more than $2500, what would you suggest?

Denny Kyser April 18th, 2011 05:14 PM

Re: B Cam suggestions for the 5D II?

I should add that during the 1 hour catholic mass, I ( or assistant) will be shooting photography also, so 1 of the 1d iv's will be shooting stills only. The other I could do both if I had too.

I also will probably just go with the 1D IV that is in to Canon as a B cam if the cost to repair is reasonable, or use it as a C cam if I find a good B cam.

I should have added, I want it to be a tapeless format, and will be shooting at 24p and capturing audio on a couple Zoom4's

Chip Thome April 18th, 2011 06:03 PM

So Denny are you looking for something to run 1 hour+, or just something to compliment the 5D ???

Chris Barcellos April 18th, 2011 06:10 PM

DSLR-- 7D, 60D, or T3i

or

more Video Camera oriented, Canon XA10 or XF 100 ( a little over your limit)

Denny Kyser April 18th, 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip Thome (Post 1640481)
So Denny are you looking for something to run 1 hour+, or just something to compliment the 5D ???

Either I guess

Work around may be worth getting another dslr

Nigel Barker April 18th, 2011 11:09 PM

An NTSC Panasonic GH2 has no recording limit (PAL is limited to 29'59") & has other advantages over the Canon DSLRs. An $700 adaptor that allows you to use Canon EF lenses with continuous AF ships the end of May Birger Engineering, Inc. The picture quality of the video shot with the GH2 is equivalent to that from the Canon DSLRs.

Johannes Soetandi April 19th, 2011 03:04 AM

If I were you I'd get a 5D or 550D in a heartbeat. Maybe more to 550D as the 1.6x crop factor will give you benefit of extra reach especially in a big church. And the magic lantern will be useful if you plan to leave it unmanned most of the time.

Ryan Czaplinski April 19th, 2011 12:22 PM

Does anyone use those GoPro HD cameras for interesting cutaway shots for their weddings? I know they're no DSLR, but they seem to output some impressive images if you needed something to just cut to if you didn't have another shot to cut to otherwise.

Just wondering. My primary camera is a 5DM2 and looking at some interesting ways to cover different angles with minimal crew.

Also I read that the 60D is supposed to have better imagery than the 550D. Is this true with any of you shooters?