What is your most embarrassing wedding moment as a videographer? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 12th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: What is your most embarrassing wedding moment as a videographer?

I remember unlocking the lever that is on the assembly sleeve of the legs of my manfrotto tripod and then I held the tripod vertically so all feet would slide out to their full length, one assembly sleeve holding the bottom leg got loose in that way (probably over time) and one leg came off and flew over the church floor with a loud rattling sound. The ceremony was about to start but the church was full and the only thing I can remember was everyone looking at me and I still hear the people laughing. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Equal Opportunity Offender

I had this back-yard wedding which I was assigned to, and had never met the bride and groom before, thus did not know what they looked like. So they're arriving and I'm getting a shot of the bride as she comes from the car and through to the yard. Only it was one of the bridesmaids. The (older) bride was still coming, and I managed to get just a bit of her as she walked through. Managed to get away with it in the final edit.

The other event (which was at this same wedding) that I think I have written about on these forums, is that at the very moment that the couple are saying their vows, one of the neighbours was tossing his 'empties' (beer and wine bottles) in to the bin. Ka-tink a-chink a-chink etc! I could distinctly hear it with my headphones on, though thankfully it wasn't picked up in the audio part of the recording.

They loved their finished video, BTW.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker View Post
Mine was when I was trying to follow the bride down the isle backwards with my Glidecam and 7d, and I tripped landing straight on my back. Everybody started laughing. It also didn't help that the pastor said, "Oooh, that's gotta hurt!" Then when I quickly got back to my feet, he also said, "And he's okay everybody!" The crowd got up and started cheering for me. I felt mortified!!!!

I too fell backwards when walking the B&G out of an outdoor wedding. It was a short row of seats, myb 15 rows. Anyway, I forgot at the end were 2 or 3 small stone steps. Walking backwards, totally did not a header, but I suppose an Asser. The B&G chuckled and photog asked if I was ok but my emotions went aside & just stood back up as soon as I could and kept shooting.

I'll see if I still have the video file. Other than that one time my battery didn't seem to charge fully & I replaced the battery before the intros. Had about 90 minutes but I use a Z5U with MRC card adaptor which I've found can cause shutoff with 40-50 minutes left. Anyway, sure enough it was one of those where each couple in the bridal party had to do their own dance, skit etc... Then the first dance. Then the maid of honors speech literally went on for prolly 10 minutes. I was down to about 65 minutes when it was the best mans turn. I went over to the DJ & asked if he could stall it for a minute while I changed the battery back. I quickly changed it, but felt pretty embarrased. Sure enough, the best mans speech was something like 3 minutes anyway.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #34
Trustee

Turned up at a wedding to realise they'd spent more on the video than the rest of the wedding put together, just because he was English, she was Chinese and they wanted to show the wedding to the family in China.

They spent £50 on the photographer, very little on the dress, almost nothing on the food by the looks of it and I was left polishing the proverbial turd to make it look good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques