DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Connecting to Mixer's output for event videography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495028-connecting-mixers-output-event-videography.html)

Gregory Lee April 24th, 2011 09:08 PM

Connecting to Mixer's output for event videography

It is most convenient for me to be able to connect to the mixer if the output is RCA or 1/4 inch phono. But if the only ouput available to me is XLR, I would have to buy an adapter or use a different audio recorder.

In your experience with event videography, how often do you encounter a situation where the only output connections are XLR?

Jim Snow April 24th, 2011 09:27 PM

Re: Connecting to Mixer's output for event videography

I just posted a video on Vimeo of our videographers association meeting last Monday. The topic of the meeting was working with DJs' sound boards. You can see it here.

Mark Slade April 24th, 2011 10:56 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here....but if you have cables for RCA and 1/4 inch that will hook to your recording device, why don't you just purchase an XLR to whatever cable fits into your recorder???
I use a Rolls matchbox attenuator in front of my R4 that has 1/4 inputs. So I have RCA to 1/4 inch, 1/4 to 1/4, and xlr to 1/4 cables. I'm covered....
Mark

Gregory Lee April 24th, 2011 11:18 PM

The recording device I'm using is the Zoom H2 which has a line-in and mic-in 1/8 inch stereo input. So connecting anything to a pair of XLRs would involve a series of adapters I assume.

I also notice most XLR outputs on mixers are male. Is that right?
I think I will have to get XLR to phono adapters.

Gregory Lee April 24th, 2011 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting that video. Very informative!

I realized that my wireless system (Sony UWP-C1) can't scan frequencies.

Mark Slade April 25th, 2011 11:22 AM

Yes....at least every mixer I've seen has male outs on the back....but I haven't seen every mixer in the world.
The xlr's are going to be mono....and typically when I only have xlr out there is a L-R pair. This cable should do the trick...1 xlr to left and 1 to the right....

Hosa Technology, Inc. Hosa CYX-402F Dual XLR3F to Right-angle 3.5 mm TRS 2 ft Audio Y-Cables Y Cables at Markertek.com

Mark

Ryan Czaplinski April 25th, 2011 04:09 PM

Whatever you do, only use your own gear! :)

I shot a pretty high profile wedding once and thought of plugging into the soundboard because it was convenient. Good thing I didn't because partway in the guy left his post for a few minutes and the audio went on the fritz and an extremely loud HISS sound came over the PA system for a good 30-seconds to a minute before the guy fixed it. Thankfully my audio was still good and was able to bring up the voices over the live sound hiss on the lapel mics.

I will never plug in to another vendor's soundboard.

Don Bloom April 25th, 2011 04:35 PM

For not too many dollars one can go to a place like Radio Shack and buy pretty much every possible connection and cables one could possibly use. Need an XLR to mini? No problem...RCA to XLR, hang on a second...need a 1/4 to XLRM...wait I have a turn around here in my bag.

What I'm saying is you really should invest a few dollars, but the various connections, turn arounds and cables you might need to cover any situation, put them in a plastic bag ( I love the gallon size zip lock bags) and now no matter where you are or what you're doing you have what you need to do whatever you need to do.
BTW, except for seminars where I know the sound person, I donot plug into the board. I've had issues in the past with a few non professional sound people that almost cost me some money so unless I've worked with them before I'm very remiss about plugging in. I might but I'm monitoring like a hawk and have a backup system going, but that's just me.

Gregory Lee April 25th, 2011 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the info!