DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Delivering Raw Footage on Hard Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495094-delivering-raw-footage-hard-drive.html)

Chris Bryan April 26th, 2011 08:13 AM

Delivering Raw Footage on Hard Drive

Hello everyone,

I'm a wedding videographer and I have a couple that has paid me to deliver all of their raw footage to them in addition to the edited version. I told them that I'd give them the footage on an external drive for them to keep. I have about 350gb of footage that I'd like to deliver to them. I kept the camera running for the entire ceremony (1.5 hours!) so one file alone is over 100gb. The question is, how do I deliver this to them on a drive? I know they have a mac laptop, but I'm concerned that they may want to view this footage on a pc at some point, so I'd like to give them a drive that's as compatible as possible. If I make the drive fat 32, then I can't transfer files to it over 4gb.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff Harper April 26th, 2011 08:29 AM

Re: Delivering Raw Footage on Hard Drive

You simply ask them if they want it compatible with PC or Mac, and deliver accordingly. Pretty simple. Don't complicate it for them, or agonize over it.

Otherwise you would need to give them two hard drives if they request it.

For PC drive why would you not format to NTFS?

I would just let them decide, and try not to worry about it. They can move or have it moved to another hard drive later if necessary.

Chris Medico April 26th, 2011 08:35 AM

Make the drive NTFS and copy everything over.

Macs can read NTFS. I do this regularly to send data to a coworker that is Mac based.

If you make it HFS they won't be able to read it with a PC.

Jeff Harper April 26th, 2011 08:44 AM

Thanks, Chris, that is useful info, didn't know macs could read NTFS.

Joel Peregrine April 26th, 2011 09:58 AM

Hi Chris,

Just curious - which camera records at nearly 1GB per minute? Thats huge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Bryan (Post 1643114)
Hello everyone,

I'm a wedding videographer and I have a couple that has paid me to deliver all of their raw footage to them in addition to the edited version. I told them that I'd give them the footage on an external drive for them to keep. I have about 350gb of footage that I'd like to deliver to them. I kept the camera running for the entire ceremony (1.5 hours!) so one file alone is over 100gb. The question is, how do I deliver this to them on a drive? I know they have a mac laptop, but I'm concerned that they may want to view this footage on a pc at some point, so I'd like to give them a drive that's as compatible as possible. If I make the drive fat 32, then I can't transfer files to it over 4gb.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed Roo April 26th, 2011 11:13 AM

Can anyone tell me how to change the permissions on an NTFS formatted external hard disk drive so that a Mac can write to it?

Chris Medico April 26th, 2011 11:54 AM

Hi Ed,

That isn't advisable directly under OSx on Mac. It requires editing of system config files and has undesirable consequences.

You will need to install extra software to enable writing to NTFS.

Take a read here and see if this points you in the right direction:
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - NTFS-3G

Osmany Tellez April 26th, 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 1643147)
Hi Chris,

Just curious - which camera records at nearly 1GB per minute? Thats huge!

I believe pana HVX200a full HD is aprox. 1gb per minute....depends...also if shot native 24p or 30p or over 60p. I think...

Andrew Brown April 26th, 2011 02:53 PM

Unless they are planning on re-editing then isn't just a drive full of clips a bit pointless.
Why not just drag everything to a timeline and create a film of all the raw footage?

Chris Bryan April 26th, 2011 05:42 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses, the camera I'm using is the Panasonic HMC150, I am delivering Prores files after final cut has unpacked the AVCHD files.

How do I format a hard drive as NTFS on a mac? When I go to format the drive on my mac the only options I have are the various Mac formats (Mac OS Extended etc.), MS-DOS FAT, and ExFAT.

Thanks again!

Jeff Harper April 26th, 2011 06:10 PM

How well will those huge clips will play for a customer on a laptop? Will they need a codec to play them if they don't have FCP? Just sounds kind of intense, but I'm a PC guy so what do I know.

Chris Medico April 26th, 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Bryan (Post 1643268)
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses, the camera I'm using is the Panasonic HMC150, I am delivering Prores files after final cut has unpacked the AVCHD files.

How do I format a hard drive as NTFS on a mac? When I go to format the drive on my mac the only options I have are the various Mac formats (Mac OS Extended etc.), MS-DOS FAT, and ExFAT.

Thanks again!

You will need to format the drive with a PC then install the software from the link above to write the files to the NTFS partition.

Ed Roo April 26th, 2011 08:00 PM

Chris - thanks for the pointer to the NTFS-3G info!

Chris Bryan April 27th, 2011 07:09 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all of the responses, so it sounds like I'm kind of stuck as I don't own a pc and don't plan on buying one simply to give raw files to clients. What do you guys do to deliver Raw Files? I have clients that ask for it all the time and if they are willing to pay for it then I'd like to be able to give it to them. Again, for a typical 8 hour wedding I have around 200-300 gb of footage.

Thanks!

Chris Medico April 27th, 2011 08:11 AM

Chris,

If you do a quick search in this forum you'll see that subject well covered with a wide range of opinions already.