DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   The Royal Wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495227-royal-wedding.html)

Warren Kawamoto April 29th, 2011 04:52 AM

The Royal Wedding

I was amazed with the audio of the Royal wedding! Everything was clear and crisp. I wondered how they got a mic on the bride? Was it hidden in her hair? Or in her dress? It was absolutely invisible! I also noticed there were no photographers/videographers running around anywhere... truly professionally done.

Colin McDonald April 29th, 2011 05:06 AM

Re: The Royal Wedding

And I'm not seeing any so called "cinematic" techniques :-)
Just honest to goodness tv coverage executed to the highest standards. Live as well!
Everyone doing weddings should watch it.
Not exactly short of manpower or gear admittedly but it's a reminder of what we might be expected to try to achieve.

Chris Harding April 29th, 2011 05:19 AM

I saw just one young female photog jump into the front seat of the car as the bride got in and after that absolutely not a photog or video camera in sight!!

The BBC did a pretty good job of keeping their multiple cameras out of sight too...I expected to see a camera setup in the wide shots but didn't see any.

Yep, documentary style as it happens is still the most faithful recreation of events.

Even during the exit from the Abbey you never even saw a single flash!!! I would have thought that a great deal of audio thought must have gone into the mic and mixing setup for the ceremony too...what was amazing was there was little or no echo so what the guests heard was different to what the cameras were recording. No reason a tiny lav wouldn't be concealed somewhere on the couple .I don't think the BBC are short on technology and gear!!!

Chris

Brian Drysdale April 29th, 2011 06:04 AM

However, highly unlikely they'd radio mic a royal couple.

Gary Nattrass April 29th, 2011 06:30 AM

I saw a few canon stills camera's but they would be for stills, a good friend of mine was on one camera for the BBC in the abbey but sadly my own booking to give additional coverage for foreign media was cancelled at the start of the week.

No radio mic's on the couple and their vows were probably just picked up on the ministers two radio mic's.

Michael Wisniewski April 29th, 2011 06:59 AM

A few articles on the sound system in Westminster Abbey

Liam Hall April 29th, 2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1644154)

I have, more than once... Not on their wedding day though:)

Warren Kawamoto April 29th, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1644154)

Then I wonder how did they do it? I've been putting separate radio mics on both minister and groom for many years now. During my vows, even when my couple is standing close together, I can tell that my bride doesn't have a mic. When comparing my bride's vows to the groom's, the bride always sounds a tad more distant, as expected. My bride's audio is good, but not great like how Kate's was. It definitely sounded like her mic was near her throat or neck.

Ryan Czaplinski April 29th, 2011 01:17 PM

I think that whole event is underrated. That would be one long end video to edit! AHAHA!

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2011 01:23 PM

I saw a mic attached to a piece of black wrought iron on the bride's side, even saw the wire running down the side. It was clear it wasn't meant to be seen, I'm sure they had the best small mics hidden in several places.

How can anyone who shoots wedding video for a living not find the whole affair interesting? Oh well, I did. The bride took what, 4 minutes to walk down the aisle? I'm coaching my brides from now on to slow down. Working class girls practically run down the aisle, which is not good.

Gary Nattrass April 29th, 2011 01:37 PM

On the highlights you could hear the sound guy pushing the radio mic channels up for each of the replies, the minister had one on each lapel and it sounded like those that were being faded up more for each reply.

There may have mic's elsewhere but I didn't see them or the may have been a mic suspended above and that was being faded in as required.

Brian Drysdale April 29th, 2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1644241)
Then I wonder how did they do it? I've been putting separate radio mics on both minister and groom for many years now.

Protocol wouldn't allow it. Also. the rest room audio would down extremely well, a sound recordist I know still gets reminded by audio guys about the tape he did of a UK cabinet minster relieving himself.

You can hear the acoustic quality change between the minster and their quickly faded up replies.

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2011 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you can find a larger version of this shot, it is behind William that I saw the mic and cord, not behind Kate, I was mistaken. I was watching it on 1080p tv when I noticed it, even then it was hard to make out.

Edgar Vasiluk April 30th, 2011 03:04 AM

Hi all,
I had a chance to be there at 6am, and I was amazed at how many people already was there! The whole atmosphere was amazing! Unfortunatly I had to go to work which is just 3 minutes from Abbey where they held ceremony....but I managed to take some photos of that morning....

It's here: Royal Wedding. 6am. How it was... - a set on Flickr

Wedding Videos London | Wedding Videos Essex | Wedding Videos Surrey from YouMyWorld Productions

John Nantz April 30th, 2011 09:45 AM

Fantastic Wedding Video

I'm a hobbyest so my view of THE wedding may be from a different angle from the professionals.

Well, maybe last night wasn't "the" wedding because everybody compared it to Princess Diana's, but it was certainly "THE" wedding for the past few decades. We were up sometime around 2am (Pacific Coast Time) to start watching it. My wife was looking at hats, dresses, etc., and I was looking at the video. There were lots of camera angles but, like what was mentioned previously, I never once saw a cameraman or camera. There must have been a lot of remote-controlled cameras.

For live coverage it was extremely well done. Everything from zooms to no zooms, the transitions some of which were fades and some not, audio doing a good job of blocking the overhead helicopter noise, color balance, you name it. We were watching NBC and I don't know how much of this was a data feed from, say, a video contractor, or how much was NBC, but it was very well put together.

When I think about the time I take to edit my videos, selecting the clips and where to cut them for the transitions, etc., and then compare my effort to this live broadcast, all I can say is WoW! Those guys did a fantastic job.

Obviously someone had a storyboard done well in advance. Among the highlights were THE Dress and THE Kiss, or rather kisses. Frankly, my opinion, THE Kiss was not very good from an acting standpoint and I could have done much better myself, and I don't mean the video part either! My wife tells me that royals don't kiss in public so that probably has something to do with it.