DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How do you deliver the "digital copy"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495361-how-do-you-deliver-digital-copy.html)

Kelly Langerak May 3rd, 2011 06:51 AM

How do you deliver the "digital copy"?

I'm wondering how you peeps deliver the digital copy of the couples wedding video.

What I'd like to do is offer them the quicktime file at 1920x1080 with very little compression so that if they want to make another disc they can. I'm trying to avoid breaking the video up into smaller pieces unless it's pretty simple to do then Exporting bit by bit.

My big hurtle is that some of my clients have a PC and I own a Mac so getting them onto a hard drive and onto a PC formatted drive is a big pain. Also, files can't be bigger then 4gigs in size when transferring to a drive.

Your thoughts?

Chris Harding May 3rd, 2011 07:29 AM

Re: How do you deliver the "digital copy"?

Hi Kelly

I have a similar post a little lower down on giving the couple a digital HD movie on a media player or USB drive so they can play it on their TV in full HD (most people here don't have a BD player!!)

Surely standalone media players handle MOV's ???? It seems that most are delivering digital format in MP4 though....It would be nice to know what you end up using???

With MOV a PC user has to have QuickTime but MP4's can be played on heaps of other software too if your target is either MAC or PC. I'm pretty sure a PC and MAC both will play MP4 files without any fuss???

Chris

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2011 07:37 AM

Why can files be no larger than 4gbs? Is it an Apple thing? With Windows file size is no issue with NTSC, and shouldn't be with Apple, but I'm not Apple so I don't know.

I would put the files on a bluray disc, problem solved, and charge them for it.

Why can they not copy the disc you give them if they want another disc? If they use the file you give them there will be no menu, chapter markers, nothing.

Otherwise, if they are asking for raw files give them raw files, and how they get if off the drive, etc is their problem. I use a PC and if someone asks for raw files or compressed I buy a hard drive put the files on and give it to them, and I tell them in advance to make sure it's not problem.

Chip Thome May 3rd, 2011 10:42 AM

If I render my GH1 .mts files to .mp4 I pick up some artifacting. If I render to MPEG2 they come out clear as a bell. With that said, if I were to attempt to give the digital copy I would look to MPEG2 and place it on an SD card. If the card is just used to transfer data to something else, card speed shouldn't become an issue. That "should" allow you to use one of the cheapie cards, say Class 4 or maybe even Class 2. As Jeff pointed out the 4 gig limit is a Fat32 thing. Format the card to NTSC if it isn't already and it should take any size file up to it's limit.

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2011 10:54 AM

only thing, MPEG 2 isn't a delivery format. mpeg 4 using sony AVC template should be good, provided the right setting are used. They are pretty good for me, nearly perfect.

Adam Gold May 3rd, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip Thome (Post 1645296)
...the 4 gig limit is a Fat32 thing. Format the card to NTSC if it isn't already and it should take any size file up to its limit.

I don't think Apple does NTFS. That's the reason Sony gives for all its card writer/readers to be FAT32.

Kelly Langerak May 3rd, 2011 05:08 PM

I think I found the answer. Mac Drive. I installed Mac Drive onto my PC and now I can connect my Mac formatted drive to my PC and transfer files.