lavalier microphone to a female officiant - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: lavalier microphone to a female officiant

Hopefully done with more grace and humour.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)

Most officiants I work with are like me, been there done that, so I usually just let them mic themselves while I look on...sometimes I give guidance, sometimes assistance, mostly they do a great job on their own...
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #18
New Boot

my Question is with the H1 it doesn't have a clip. Is there a case for it with a clip in situation where you might have a female officiant with no pocket?

thanks.
Elias Neris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Neris View Post
my Question is with the H1 it doesn't have a clip. Is there a case for it with a clip in situation where you might have a female officiant with no pocket?

thanks.

Try finding a mobile phone case/clip that fits your Zoom H1. If you can't find one that fits, innovate with some tapes. :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I suggest you all keep a wide elastic bandage (aka "Ace Bandage") as part of your audio gear. It can be used to make a waist or thigh belt which you can clip the mic on to. If the officiant is wearing a robe, this is easily concealed. If not, you can ask her to strap the mic to the back of her thigh - but above the skirt line.

I work at a tv station, and our female meteorologist wears dresses a lot. She always keeps her wireless pack strapped to her thigh with the elastic, and it works great - and is easy to remove.
Angelo Ucciferri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #21
Trustee

Angelo

I may be under-rating the average female celebrant but my sense is that they'd be less than happy to strap a radio mic transmitter to their upper thigh than you suggest. It's a good idea though.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:33 AM   #22
Regular Crew

quite a bit of discussion about touching females here which I'm sure we can all deal with sensitively (would it be the same with a female putting a mic on a male I wonder.. a silly debate waiting to happen!) HOWEVER... what do you guys do if the female has a dress on with no waistband, pocket or anything. My recorder (zoom h1 in a phone case) is way to big to hide under their hair.. This stumps me regularly!
David Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:56 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
quite a bit of discussion about touching females here which I'm sure we can all deal with sensitively (would it be the same with a female putting a mic on a male I wonder.. a silly debate waiting to happen!) HOWEVER... what do you guys do if the female has a dress on with no waistband, pocket or anything. My recorder (zoom h1 in a phone case) is way to big to hide under their hair.. This stumps me regularly!
In a professional video production you would just tape the recorder to her thigh. I don't know if female celebrants are likely to be as co-operative but you can always ask:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:43 AM   #24
Regular Crew

maybe I'll give it a go! If you never hear from me again you know it didn't work and I can be contacted through her majesty's prison service!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:50 AM   #25
Major Player

For female celebrants you can forget it - it simply aint gonna happen most of the time. Even if they are willing then more often than not they will not have suitable clothing to attach to, you can't put a belt on them, and you can't start messing around with hair bra straps or thighs. The male celebrants are not much easier. And if you do get one wired up there is a strong chance that they will forget and rush off to their next appointment before you get the chance to retrieve your gear.

The good news is that frequently the groom is sufficiently close enough to the celebrant for his lav to pick up usable audio. Also you can hide lavs / H1's etc in suitable nearby flower arrangements etc.

Or get a feed off the celebrants deck into your recorder if available - or tune to their wireless frequency if you are both using compatible gear (unlikely!).

If the celebrant is going to be too far away from any lav or recorder and cannot be wired up a trick I have used is to attach a Sennheiser G3 transmitter and lav to the folder which they almost invariably carry. The G3 transmitters clip works fine but if I were attaching an H1 (or preferably a much smaller "dictafone" type device including lav) I'd gaffer tape it down to the folder. Don't be tempted to just use the H1's onboard mics as you are likely to get a lot of handling noise.

Here is a photo of a G3 attached to a folder:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images/dvi/celeb1.jpg

Or again if the celebrant is using some form or wired or wireless mic you may be able to tape a small Yamaha or Olympus type recorder to it.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:03 AM   #26
Trustee

One way we did it once was scrunch up the fabric of the dress under the armpit and clip the transmitter there.

Don't know how many female celebrants would agree to such a procedure. These days if they show up with a sheer dress, I just get my audio from elsewhere.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Inner Circle

For this kind of thing in theatre, we usually just use a small pouch, usually white, with a couple of ties to go around their waist. As to a celebrant wanting to do this, I'm not sure.

Rather sadly, I've noticed over the past year and a bit that many male sound people are much more concerned than they have been previously to touch. In the past, in theatre, the girls would just pull their skirt up and you fixed it - now, in the wake of the Jimmy Saville trial, people are more wary. I bumped into an actress and her husband, when I was with my wife - she said "Hello Paul, haven't seen you since the last time you hand your hand up my skirt" Everyone laughed, not so sure now - it's a bit sad.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #28
Trustee

The most obvious first step in all this is, the Monday before hand, contact your celebrant/pastor in advance to introduce yourself, and talk about potential issues.

Along with audio, we also talk about camera positions, and ask if they have any concerns.

If they're amiable enough, I simply ask if they can wear an outfit with pockets, or a belt. I let them know our unit is about the size of, but lighter than a deck of cards, and I take care of everything - they don't have to deal with anything (other than wearing it). I also make it clear its audio for the video and the guests won't hear it, and that I edit it, so they don't have to worry about asides or instructions they don't intend to be broadcast. If a little extra sugar is needed, I might slip in that we're just trying to make sure that the lord's message is included in their wedding video as much as the songs or vows ;)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:17 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Robert I agree and it's easy as pie in a church environment but in the UK often registrar's are not allocated their weddings until the morning of the wedding itself and they have 5 or 6 to do in a day sometimes so phoning round trying to work out who the registrar will be before the wedding is always going to be a bit of a nightmare.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post

Here is a photo of a G3 attached to a folder:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images/dvi/celeb1.jpg
Thats a nice idea Pete, obviously depends on what the registrar is holding a lot of the time but it doesn't look too bad clipped on the back with a lav stuck to a blank part of the folder, obviously some wind noise when turning page is likely but thats a small price to pay,

I just wish I hadn't sold my sennheiser transmitter and lav mic through lack of use (I only ever use the receiver to take a wireless signal at a venue)

If I find a decent Zoom H1 (or even buy a new smaller recorder for it .. any recommendations?) clip on case instead of the flimsy phone case I use now, then attaching this to the rear with the lav mic might be a good solution.
David Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques