How happy are you with iRiver? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 18th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How happy are you with iRiver?

The last wedding I did I used my wireless mic, only since it was an outside wedding there was another wireless mic (that the dj brought) set up to speakers and there must have been some type of interference because the audio to my camera wasn't as clear as usual. I've noticed a lot of people talking about using the iRiver, is the quality really good?
Jennifer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
The last wedding I did I used my wireless mic, only since it was an outside wedding there was another wireless mic (that the dj brought) set up to speakers and there must have been some type of interference because the audio to my camera wasn't as clear as usual. I've noticed a lot of people talking about using the iRiver, is the quality really good?
iRivers are fantastic for audio aquisition. I still mic the groom with my wireless but use 3 iRivers- one on officiant, one on the podium, and one near the soloist/musicians. In post it's real easy to pull from whatever audio source I need or mix them as needed.

Keep in mind there are drawbacks to the iRiver here's a run-down:

Pros
- inexpensive
- have line-input for use with a variety of mics
- small footprint (unobtrusive)
- doesn't use a wirless signal so your less likely to have an officant worried about wearing one
- resulting audio quality is superb (when coupled with a decent lav mic)

Cons
- no way to monitor the audio signal
- have to sync it in post (and it doesn't hold sync for LONG periods of time)
- limited recording formats/settings
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have been wondering the same thing, except I have found that the newer iRivers don't have the mic input.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sawyers
I have been wondering the same thing, except I have found that the newer iRivers don't have the mic input.
Just go for the 790 and 890 series iRivers. The majority of the "newer" iRivers are marketed to compete against the iPod. The smaller form factor and the lock button (while engaged doesn't allow any inadvertant button pressing to affect recording) is perfect for our usage.
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

"It doesn't hold sync for long periods of time."

It does hold sync perfectly - it does a fantastic job.

When I sync audio I use muffed ear phones, at a louder than normal volume and listen carefully for the slightest echo. I tweak until echo is gone. I can dump well over an hour of I-River audio in the timeline, sync the begining and go right to the end and hear not even hear a hint of echo. Not even a hint. I use either the 256kbs or the 320kbs settings and neither setting on even one wedding have ever lost any sync. Prior to the two 790's, I had used another brand of VR and yes - I had to re-snyc about every 10 minutes. To my delight, I've never had to re-sync since buying the I-Rivers.

Glen, for anything else I yield the floor to you, but on this point you're wrong. There is no issue with sync and I-River. It could easily be one of your "Pros."
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
"It doesn't hold sync for long periods of time."

It does hold sync perfectly - it does a fantastic job.

When I sync audio I use muffed ear phones, at a louder than normal volume and listen carefully for the slightest echo. I tweak until echo is gone. I can dump well over an hour of I-River audio in the timeline, sync the begining and go right to the end and hear not even hear a hint of echo. Not even a hint. I use either the 256kbs or the 320kbs settings and neither setting on even one wedding have ever lost any sync. Prior to the two 790's, I had used another brand of VR and yes - I had to re-snyc about every 10 minutes. To my delight, I've never had to re-sync since buying the I-Rivers.

Glen, for anything else I yield the floor to you, but on this point you're wrong. There is no issue with sync and I-River. It could easily be one of your "Pros."
How long have you tried to sync it? It will indeed drift, abliet a small amount, over the length of an hour or more. Maybe your just not noticing it. If you have enough length in footage give it a shot. Sync it in the beginning and by the end (around an hour or more) you'll notice a slight flange (echo sound). It's not dramatic but enough to have to snip and tuck. Easy fix.
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Glen,

Is it possible you are importing the audio as a 44.1kHz file and placing in on the timeline with camera audio recorded at 48kHz? Wouldn't that account for the minor drift you are experiencing?
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
Glen,

Is it possible you are importing the audio as a 44.1kHz file and placing in on the timeline with camera audio recorded at 48kHz? Wouldn't that account for the minor drift you are experiencing?
Indeed. The sample rate might have an effect on drift- unlike recording bit-rate. I suppose I should render out to 48kHz MP3 and retest it. Have you confirmed this?
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
iRivers are fantastic for audio aquisition. I still mic the groom with my wireless but use 3 iRivers- one on officiant, one on the podium, and one near the soloist/musicians.
Cons
- no way to monitor the audio signal
- have to sync it in post (and it doesn't hold sync for LONG periods of time)
- limited recording formats/settings
Which mics do you use with it?
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Wrangler

Hi Jennifer,

Here are the thoughts of an old dog trying to learn new tricks. FWIW. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49556
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #11
Major Player

I have had no problems as long as I first convert the sample type. I use Adobe Audition and simply import at 44100 Hz and then choose Convert Sample Type from the edit menu, selecting 48000 Hz. The audio retains the same pitch and duration as the original file and shows no noticeable drift in Premiere Pro, even when over an hour long.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie
I have had no problems as long as I first convert the sample type. I use Adobe Audition and simply import at 44100 Hz and then choose Convert Sample Type from the edit menu, selecting 48000 Hz. The audio retains the same pitch and duration as the original file and shows no noticeable drift in Premiere Pro, even when over an hour long.
this is a nice trick, got an iriver with darern's giant squid mic. haven't put it into real test. just a few voice recording and importing to PC.

how long are you using this method of importing and converting with audition?

just like what glenn elliot have said...have anyone confirmed and tried this?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Indeed. The sample rate might have an effect on drift- unlike recording bit-rate. I suppose I should render out to 48kHz MP3 and retest it. Have you confirmed this?
Up res the file Glen....
Mark
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques