2 yr old birthday party?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 yr old birthday party??

Has anyone ever recorded small kids birthday parties? Any tips or anything to really make a good impression? I usually do Weddings but had someone contact me about capturing their 2 year old's birthday party? Any suggestions would be very much helpful!!
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 2 yr old birthday party??

Tyson i did this not long ago and i usually do weddings maybe some pointers. steve

Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve. I didn't know if there was anyone out there doing any of this or not. How do you charge for something like this? By the hour or a set fee?
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
New Boot

This would be a challenge, you could shoot a music video with the kids.
I shot a 1 year old cake smash and asked for some suggestion, one of the replies was to have a theme party, have the kids dressed up all as Transformers, Gobots, or smurfs....and act out some dance moves....

Last edited by Nathan Allard; May 12th, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: miss embed
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Yoder View Post
Thanks Steve. I didn't know if there was anyone out there doing any of this or not. How do you charge for something like this? By the hour or a set fee?
dont do many but i charged £450.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

I've done 1-2 year old birthdays, basically it's just documenting the party. I usually ask for baby pictures ( on a disc) and include a growing up photo montage to start the video. Shoot details, cake, invitation, giveaways. I charge $ 500.
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Major Player

The only suggestion I have for video recording small children also goes for photography of small children: the camera needs to be at the eye level of the child, not at your eye level. It gives an entirely different perspective.

Of course, it can be very hard on the old knees. One trick I use to save my knees is to put my XH-A1 on my heavy monopod, then shorten the monopod to match the eye level of the kids. I work the camera using the handle on top, along with the second record button that is also on top.

Another trick is to put the camera in a low, inconspicuous place and work it with the remote control. Don't forget to turn off the record light function or cover it with electrical tape. That little red light coming on will blow that stealthy trick.

As for what to charge, I'd mention what my normal half day rate is, and then see if the parent accepts or makes a counter offer, and go from there. Unless they're a friend or relative... ; )
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help guys!! Gonna try it out next thursday night! :)
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Major Player

I've shot several bday parties over the years. I usually charge about $150/hr with a 3 hour max on location time. That also includes some editing, titiling, and a DVD of course. If you do it right, there really isn't much to clean up.

As mentioned make sure and shoot at kids eye level. You can almost treat it like a wedding reception, in that you'll have major events: cake cutting, gift opening, party games etc.

Most of the ones I've done have been 2 to 3 hours, but I just shot an 80th bday party last weekend. It was an hour.

Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques