Canon DSLR Best Picture Styles for your Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon DSLR Best Picture Styles for your Wedding

What pictures styles do you use when it comes to weddings?

Indoor settings?
Outdoor settings?

and what is in your opinion the best Flat setting to use?

I've seen Canon Flat, Super Flat etc.

Do you use the ones found on Canon's site as well?

I'm going to be shooting all flat today indoor and out for today's wedding.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon DSLR Best Picture Styles for your Wedding

Kelly on the 60ds i use, i just use the neutral setting to go with the hv40, or if i choose cinemode in the hv40 i go with my neutral but sharp all the way down and sat and contrast down 1 notch. If its 2 flat it dont look good for a wedding, in my experience the bride and groom just want a good story/good colours...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Kelly - I shoot with the Neutral setting for weddings both indoors and out then usually end up adding some contrast and saturation in post.

Art
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm shooting flat so that I can have more range to color correct. I shot my first wedding with super flat yesterday, so I'll see soon how it turned out once it's finished.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Major Player

We use a profile which uses the Neutural curve then with contrast, saturation and sharpness knocked down a notch or 2.

I looked into the superflat profiles that people cooked up and whilst the tests showed great range for objects the skin tones were shot. Muddy, too flat and lacking any detail.

Ive been looking into the Technicolor profile and it is supposed to be great but like all extreme profiles they may not be best for weddings. Allow me to explain.

Shane Hurlbut has a great article on his blog right now. He talks about using the Technicolor profile in that he sets his lighting and exposure using a regular profile and then flicks to the technicolor profile before hitting record. The reason for this is that if you expose for the technicolor profile then your going to underexpose when it comes to color correction/applying the LUT profile. This may not be something that you have the time to do during a wedding shoot.

For weddings its generally better to get the look you want to achieve right in camera but with a little bit of lattitude to play with in post. I think the technicolor and other extreme profiles might tweak the image a little too far. Of course, you can shoot with them and just be able to expose and adjust the image correctly with the image profile in mind.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Flat = Yuck.

I don't have the patience to CC everything I shoot. I use the portrait setting for the 3 user selectable presets with the sharpness set at one notch above all the way down. Then each portrait preset is set at differing levels of contrast - default for most shooting, two notches up for some, and all the way up for a very dramatic look, mostly with decorations and detail shots. The less I have to do in post (with the goal being no CC adjustments) the quicker I can move on to the next edit.

Color balance in the camera is done with the kelvin adjustments made possible by Magic Latern on the T2i. Yesterday's wedding and reception was all at the same location so all the cameras stayed at 2400k all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
What pictures styles do you use when it comes to weddings?

Indoor settings?
Outdoor settings?

and what is in your opinion the best Flat setting to use?

I've seen Canon Flat, Super Flat etc.

Do you use the ones found on Canon's site as well?

I'm going to be shooting all flat today indoor and out for today's wedding.
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

All of our DSLRs are in superflat mode since we also have an HMC150 to match with. We find it easier to match with other cameras. You definitely get more latitude in post. Superflat is great since it brings out more details in the shadows and we just color grade in post. Although it does take longer to render (much longer), the end result is great. Now, we're testing out the new picture style that Vincent Laforet has in his blog (New Technicolor Profile for Canon HDDSLRs Vincent Laforet’s Blog).
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques