Focus, Shutter Speeds, Timelines, ISO - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Focus, Shutter Speeds, Timelines, ISO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Lisa, don't use the loupe all the time. I have a Z-Finder and only use it on a sunny day so I can see the viewfinder. If you use it all the time, your eye will be locked so tightly on the back of the camera that you won't see anything else going on around you.
1 eye on loupe, the other open
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Inner Circle

To clarify Steve, I do mean a partial auto mode only. In my case I let the camera either run in Aperture Priority or Shutter priorty, depending on the situations, and almost always auto ISO.

For getting ready of course, and specialty shots, I run in full manual, of course. But not always!

When using FD lenses on the GH2 Shutter priority is perfect, since I can control aperture using the lens itself.

As an aside, I am finding FD lenses to be my bestest friend, though I had my doubts at first. With aperture control on the lens, I can run in Shutter Priority, control shutter with a dial, let Auto ISO run and rip, and I'm good.

I would run in full manual mode if I could, but I lose auto ISO ability. Auto ISO is my friend.

I ran four GH2s Saturday, and never had to turn them off in over one hour of shooting the ceremony. And the footage looks great, BTW! Not perfect, I had a new lens I didn't know how to use yet, but with four cameras I was covered.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Ahhh ok Jef, sorry your on the gh2 im on the 60d canon,,, totally different!! 60d its frame, choose shutter speed, choose auto iso or feed what iso you want in, then sort focus, check your apeture on the meter bar and fire!! i usually stop down one on the apeture...as its sometimes to bright!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

60D, nice camera, would love to have one. The GH2 shoots great video. It takes relatively poor photos. Of course, I'm no photographer either.

I had a 40D, and I loved the photos I got from it.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Trustee

Jef i had trouble deciding between with the gh2 and 60d!!! in the end because i shoot photos as well as vids i chose the 60d, great stills by the way, but heard from friends the gh2 is well better than 60d for vids...but up to now pleased with the 60d. chow kidda
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Inner Circle

60d shoots great video, you're fine there. I do have a one advantage, as you know. I never have to restart. I'm looking for a coupler to hook up to my power pack, then I could in theory shoot for like 8 hours non-stop. As it is, the Panasonic batteries are good for maybe 80 minutes, and then you have to change them out, which drives me crazy. Once I get the power pack, I'll never shut down once the reception starts, just for the purpose of not having to sync up in post.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #22
Trustee

good idea nice one jef...
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Jealous here of not having to restart.

: (

Got my shoot done last night, but everyone was late so shadows were long and sunlight was scarce. Will be looking at it starting now!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #24
Inner Circle

You can have a continous running, unattended B cam for little $$$.

For $400 you can buy a GH1, $29 a Canon FD mount adapter, and for $100 a Canon FD 50mm F/1.4 lens, and you'd be in business with a great b cam. Of course with that lens, at 100mm effective range it would be a bit long for most applications.

Better would be a GH1 with a Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 $400 or so used. It shoot a decent wide shot from the rear and can be left unattended. Here's a screen grab from the 20mm and 50mm respectively. Not bad for $900 I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Focus, Shutter Speeds, Timelines, ISO-20mm.jpg   Focus, Shutter Speeds, Timelines, ISO-50mm.jpg  

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I should add the GH1 is only suitable, IMO for fast lenses. Otherwise the GH2 is better, but with a F/1.7 lens or faster the differences are negligible.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Yes, the Panny was my other choice when I was purchasing. But now with 2-60D's, if I get another it will be another 60D because of batteries & lenses. Those things add up really fast. And also in post, what a dream to edit the SAME cameras! I absolutely hate editing with my other cams mixed in. It screws everything up.

But, it is definitely something to keep in mind if I need a bridge before I can pay off this debt I have now accumulated with these Canons.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I understand completely, you are not looking to spend money.

On an added note, I cannot imagine that the cameras would not not match up very well, they would work perfectlytogether. This is not like matching up a Canon HV30 and a HMC150.

The look of your video is determined more by the lens than the by camera especially with these two.

The 20mm has a very warm look much like Canon lenses. I'm very familiar and fond of the Canon aesthetic, it is my favorite. I use two canon lenses on the GH1, and the lens is what creates the look as much as anything, if not more so.

Batteries for the GH1 are around $50 each or less, BTW.

If you get desperate for a continous running cam that will match your current cameras, the GH1 is the least expensive and highest quality camera for the money. I cannot even imagine having to restart my cameras, but I know that the crop of Canon and Nikon users are making them work, as I see the amazing videos they shoot with them. Most are much better than mine. I think most use regular video cameras as main cameeras, I do not, so my point of view is very different from most users.

I'm also considered nuts for using these without a regular video camera.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I'm probably going to deeply regret using my HV40 & HV20 as my non-stop running back-ups. But, what d'ya do? That's what I have for now to use. Those two seconds worth I'll need them for will take who knows how long in post to get to match. Sigh.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Sell them both and buy the GH1 and a 20mm! You'll lose zoom but if you need a beatiful wide shot from the rear it will work handsomely. I hook my wireless to my rear GH1 and and it works really well.

The HV30 footage next to your gorgeous 60d footage will be dreadful. That's what I did; I had an hv30 that was my last security blanket, and I sold it for a GH1. You'd still come up a few bucks shy, but you'd be close!

Good luck. This whole process is quite stressfull. I''ve been going through it for months, and I feel like I'm almost at the end. I want one more lens and I think I'm good. I'm actually getting a second 20mm F/1.7. I love the lens so much, I want to run two of them for reception alongside a 50mm F/1.4.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Unfortunately any money gained from the sale of the HV's will go toward my second 60D. That was the "deal" I already made with mah man! I'm just waiting to sell them till after two scheduled weddings in June. I desperately wish I would win some money or something to have a better matching 3rd cam. Oh how I wish.

Signed,
Wishful
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques