Need advise on a "unique" video still situation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:40 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Need advise on a "unique" video still situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Philip, I seem to recall that you are using EX1R cameras which have rather better resolution than Canon DSLRs so should produce better images.
That's correct Nigel although we used to include the CD of images when we used Z1s.

The principle that we follow isn't to tell clients specifically what size image than can enlarge to but rather make sure they understand that we're not pretending that HD means they can get a 24x18 portrait for the wall. Of course, when we've blown their socks off with the video image on a 60" LED screen, they don't want to believe that they can get a smashing print from the same material.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Re: Need advise on a "unique" video still situation

Funnily enough I usually video family events rather than take stills, even if it's just with the iPhone, because particular unrepeatable but cherished moments are always caught on video as it is recording all the time.

Now I realise that photogs are going to be more aware of when such moments might take place, but they will never catch them all, and might even prevent them taking place by their presence anyway, since if a video is running all the time it becomes accepted and less intrusive than a photog framing up a particular shot.

Just my thoughts, we have some cherished family moments caught on an iPhone recording video of our grandson in the Maternity Ward, where cameras aren't normally allowed (well this was the case at the one we were at), so the video will generally catch more of those moments as frame grab stills than a team of photogs concentrating on pointing the camera in the right place at the right moment.

Of course a frame grab will never replace a traditional Wedding Photograph, but your bride may be very surprised at what you might be able to provide, even if it is in a lower resolution.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques