How many of you actually create your DVD menus from scratch? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

How many of you actually create your DVD menus from scratch?

Wondering how many of you folks actually create your own DVD menus and DVD covers from scratch? Do you do it for each wedding or are you doing what I do, reuse the "Precomposed" templates till death do us part!?

If you know someone who creates them for you specifically can you send me there info?

I need new artwork and motion based DVD menus that live up to the Precomposed templates.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How many of you actually create your DVD menus from scratch?

I create everything myself from scratch . . . I'm obsessed with originality :)
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

Sorta 50/50 for me.... I have a menu graphic template for DVD Lab and often just change the couples name and the image ..it does make life easier...however I do that in Mediachance's RealDraw...In DVD Lab I actually start from scratch so the actual DVD authoring is original each time but the menu background is template driven although I might change things around sometimes.

Just for interest I also so the DVD case cover in RealDraw and that's used as a template...does make things quicker ..again it's mainly change the images on the cover and the couples name and you are ready to print!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Major Player

I create everything from scratch...menus, menu backgrounds, (often even text-only buttons). inserts, even booklets when called for, but I pretty much have to, given the subject matter. I don't do weddings/mitzvahs, but mostly all-day events with many individual participants, usually between 100-200, sometimes more, sometimes less, all with very short "run" times. (Each individual competitive "run" is only about 30 seconds).
Each DVD for these events is individualized, i.e. if there are 125 individual "runs", 2 or 3 of those 125 may be by the same competitor. I might make a DVD with that competitor's 3 "runs", with menus and other viewing options for each "run". Then a label and insert. So a 3-run DVD would contain 4 menus: 1 main and 3 subs, as well as a label and an insert.

It can be time-consuming, but I've become pretty familiar with Adobe Encore DVD and am getting better and better at Photoshop. I take orders and deposits at the shows, then work on the DVDs over the next few weeks and in-between other jobs, and send out the DVDs once I receive the balance of the order (though about 1/3 to 1/2 the people pay in full when the order is placed).

I use a color laser printer for inserts, and because each DVD is usually 1-of-a-kind, an Epson Photo Stylus R300 with a CIS for printing on white-face, printable DVDs. (I recently replaced the original ink cartridges with the Print-on-a-Dime continuous ink system, though I'm not terribly impressed with it; I'd describe it as adequate at best, but the colors are off a bit, and the quality is not equal to that of the original manufacturer's cartridges).
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Kelly, One option is to buy pre-made templates, just google DVD menu templates.

Motion Graphics | Video Production DVD Authoring Menu Kits | Precomposed
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Wondering how many of you folks actually create your own DVD menus and DVD covers from scratch? Do you do it for each wedding or are you doing what I do, reuse the "Precomposed" templates till death do us part!?

If you know someone who creates them for you specifically can you send me there info?

I need new artwork and motion based DVD menus that live up to the Precomposed templates.
Surely these are two different animals? I take the term DVD cover to mean the paper insert that wraps around the DVD library case - in which case it's a simple design/printing/cutting task using a commercial sample as the guide. I can't imagine it being worthwhile using any template.

On the other hand, I understand the DVD menu to be an integral part of the DVD authoring process in which case the extent of the customisation is limited by the specific software. Although we design all our menus (In TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4) from scratch, the templates are sufficiently OK for a newcomer to use without serious drawbacks.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Major Player

All menus designed from scratch, always animated and with a video playing in the background (video also especially made for the menus).
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I did mine from scratch also. But then there're times I just reuse a design by changing the names of the couple and some color scheme. =)
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Wondering how many of you folks actually create your own DVD menus and DVD covers from scratch?
I do. I just like figuring out how stuff works. And man, is the menuing system for DVDs and Blu-rays arcane. Not for the faint of heart, but doable if you have the help of a community like this. And the joy of doing your own is they look and work exactly as you want. Or at least, as much like you want as your skill level and the limits imposed by the technology allow.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Trustee

Depends on the deadline!! Ha ha!
Do most from scratch but there's some I can't spend the time on. And the custom ones do take time! Especially since mine tend to have 20 or more chapters and multiple menu pages. PITA but the look on the clients faces when they play it for the first time is very cool!
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Always from scratch.

I recently hired a free lance graphic designer (who charges $50 and hour) to do a design case wrapper, and I paid her $75 for a gig. What she came back with was a lot better than what I had been coming up with on my own.

I mean what she did in 1.5 hours, would probably have taken me 3 or 4 hours, so it's worth the time savings for me.

I use her on the -more expensive- gigs, and on the lower end ones, I do those myself.

I have templates set up for Neato products.
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I use a template. I'm lame. I admit it.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

we always start from scratch. like some posters say "it adds originality" and definitely its one of those one of kind items dedicated strictly for that client. it does however take a little bit more time but its the price you pay for being unique.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Major Player

I've got a referral. I can send you her email if you email me at info at fiskefilm.com. my cousin's wife used to work at a dvd menu authoring company but now raises two children. She is looking for work part time at home. I'm going to have her do my template once I've got my brand design finished.

Suzi Raymond: Motion Menus
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I just use the built in templates that come with encore, add me to the lame list as far as that goes lol.

It takes me long enough to edit the movie, no time to do a custom menu yet.
The way I see it, the bride isn't going to sit at the menu screen for long.
Paul Hildebrandt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques