DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   new Twitter, looking to connect with wedding videographers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/496786-new-twitter-looking-connect-wedding-videographers.html)

David Schuurman June 5th, 2011 01:36 AM

new Twitter, looking to connect with wedding videographers

Hey guys, I just got a new twitter account for my wedding business and I'd love to connect with all of you on there. Post your twitter @ usernames here so I can follow you! or just follow @dsweddingcinema

Thanks guys!

btw, I know about the dvinfo twitter thread but Im only really interested in wedding minded people for this.

Corey Graham June 5th, 2011 05:16 AM

Re: new Twitter, looking to connect with wedding videographers

I just followed you sir. I abandoned Twitter for a while, but decided to open a new account.

@CoreyBGraham

John Wiley June 6th, 2011 03:12 AM

@deltoidqld

I checked out your webiste and by the looks of your about page you're quite young - so it looks as though I'm not the only relatively young person shooting weddings.

I'm 23 and whenever a bride comments on my age I tell her that because video is a relatively new artform and it's changing so fast, age is not a disadvantage. Do you ever come across this?

Philip Howells June 6th, 2011 05:06 AM

John, perhaps you have the germ of an interesting thread here - how do we explain our youth/age, freshness/experience, wedding exclusivity/breadth of experience etc characteristics to our clients? Do they care or are they able to concentrate on the product?

Speaking only for myself, Twitter is another planet and not one I'm planning to visit.

George Kilroy June 6th, 2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1655905)
@deltoidqld
I'm 23 and whenever a bride comments on my age I tell her that because video is a relatively new artform and it's changing so fast, age is not a disadvantage. Do you ever come across this?

This made me laugh, it may be new in Oz, we've been doing it here in UK for over 30 years. Just saying.

This is one more of the diversities of this industry, some are looking for established experience and style whilst others are more interested in experiment and novelty.

David Schuurman June 6th, 2011 12:32 PM

I'm 25 and I've never had anyone express interest I my age, except perhaps in that I'm 25 and unmarried. I see the same couples at other weddings and they always ask "are you married yet?!" I thin that with our style and demographic being young is a benefit. Noone cares about my experience really, they just like my work and either hire me or don't lol. My couples are generally in their early 20's so maybe I'm old to them haha.

John Wiley June 6th, 2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kilroy (Post 1655940)
This made me laugh, it may be new in Oz, we've been doing it here in UK for over 30 years. Just saying.

30 Years is still what I would consider the "infancy" of an artform.

30 years after the first paintings, people were still fingerpainting with mud. 30 years after photography was invented, people were still using pinhole's instead of lenses. 30 years after music was invented, the only instruments were clapsticks.

Compare videography to photography, and you'll see that photography has a much larger set of conventions, history, movements, revolutions etc. Up until the introduction of digital cameras, much had remained unchanged since the 1950's. Video in comparison is new and young, and changing at a faster rate. There'll probably be more to learn in the next 10 years than there has been in the last 30, which is why I don't see youth as a disadvantage - because everyone is still learning and adapting to the changes occuring.

Nigel Barker June 7th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1656123)
Compare videography to photography, and you'll see that photography has a much larger set of conventions, history, movements, revolutions etc. Up until the introduction of digital cameras, much had remained unchanged since the 1950's. Video in comparison is new and young, and changing at a faster rate. There'll probably be more to learn in the next 10 years than there has been in the last 30, which is why I don't see youth as a disadvantage - because everyone is still learning and adapting to the changes occuring.

Film making has been around over 100 years so while junior as an art form to photography it too has evolved its own set of conventions, history, movements, revolutions etc It makes no more sense to differentiate between videography & cinematography than it does between digital photography & photography using silver halide film.

John Wiley June 7th, 2011 07:23 PM

The reason I feel there is need to distinguish between motion picture film and video is that once they seperated, they evolved seperately. Sure, they borrow from each other, and there is shared knowledge, but to me the fact that they still both co-exist quite seperately is the reason I draw a divide. With photogaphy, it's more linear - and I see Digital as the next step in that evolution. Sure, people still often choose to use old or vintage or 'dead' techniques for artistic reasons, but it's rare to see the technologies co-exist on a large scale for a long period.

By my reasoning, video vs film is more comparable to drawing vs painting than to digital vs silver halide film.

Of course, that is just my opinion on why I feel video is a seperate artform to motion picture film. It's also the reason I never refer to myself with the (somewhat pretentious) cinematographer label. Perhaps that opinion is biased by my age and relative inexperience.

ps: I've started another thread on the subject of age/experience so as to not hijack this thread. Perhaps if a mod spots this they could move some of the last few posts into the other thread?

Chris Harding June 8th, 2011 12:40 AM

For me Twitter is what the birds do when I'm shooting an outdoor wedding or maybe a hear a twitter or two outside the office window during editing.

I am too busy to mess around with social pages and when I do have free time I can think of plenty better ways to enjoy it than engrossed in twitter pages or Facebook silly comments like "What are you doing now?" ... I leave that to the wife to fool around with !!

I guess there is a place for everyone in the world, just leave me out of it!!

Chris

John Wiley June 9th, 2011 07:13 PM

While I can understand the unwillingness to waste time on Facebook or Twitter for personal reasons, I believe the marketing and business possibilities of social media are limitless. The ability to communicate directly with your market on a mass scale in that way is something previously reserved for wedding expos.

Furthermore, I believe the internet/facebook/youtube are changing the way people want to ingest information and media - they want it short, punchy and instantaneous. More than just being a marketing tool, I have a feeling that Facebook has the potential to completely re-write the wedding video textbook. It's already started with the recent popularity of the "highlights only" wedding video, and I believe it has the power to go to places we haven't yet imagined (Live feeds? Several SDE's being uploaded periodically throughout the day? Episodic? Ep1: The Proposal. Ep2: Save the date. Ep3: Love story. Ep4: Rehearsal/preview. Ep5: The Main Event?)