DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Iriver (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/49696-iriver.html)

Michael J. Long August 21st, 2005 10:16 AM

Iriver

Can someone tell me if a IRIVER Model 895 is a good one taping audio and how long will it tape voice ?
Thanks
Mike Long

Bill Binder August 21st, 2005 11:06 AM

I'm not trying to be lame here, but you'd do yourself a big favor by searching the forums for the word "iRiver". There's a ton of threads on the subject already with a lot of information. In a nutshell, a lot of people have had some good sucess with these devices, but they are not pro audio equipment, so it depends on what you're trying to get out of them.

David Avedikian August 22nd, 2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael J. Long
Can someone tell me if a IRIVER Model 895 is a good one taping audio and how long will it tape voice ?
Thanks
Mike Long

I just filmed a wedding with an 895 and it did great with the Giant Squid mic. It will capture about 7 1/2 hours of audio at 44/160/mono.

Mike Hardcastle August 22nd, 2005 10:26 AM

i have the 2 x iriver 790 its 256mb for my wedding coverage and they record 2.5 hours each at 224 KBPS stereo 44.1KHz, for me they are small reliable and cost effective, they give out quite faithful audio and are more than good enough for recording vows, speeches etc......

of course yours is 512mb so double the record time.....!

Mike

Leonardo Silva Jr. August 22nd, 2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hardcastle
i have the 2 x iriver 790 its 256mb for my wedding coverage and they record 2.5 hours each at 224 KBPS stereo 44.1KHz, for me they are small reliable and cost effective, they give out quite faithful audio and are more than good enough for recording vows, speeches etc......

of course yours is 512mb so double the record time.....!

Mike

is it worth it to do recording in 224kbps stereo 44kHz? i was actually planning to record 128 kbps mono, 44.1Khz with GS lav for voice using IFP790( same as yours) that would greatly increase the length of recording time..to about 4Hrs.

Mike Hardcastle August 23rd, 2005 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
is it worth it to do recording in 224kbps stereo 44kHz? i was actually planning to record 128 kbps mono, 44.1Khz with GS lav for voice using IFP790( same as yours) that would greatly increase the length of recording time..to about 4Hrs.

it would, i use the higher setting purely because of the manipulation needed when equaling the differnet voices from the vows, theory being the higher the quality the more I can squeeze good audio out of it..?? for straight recording under better conditons and consitent levels, then i agree and I would too use a lower bitrate.

Jack Smith August 23rd, 2005 08:53 AM

Actually a setting of 128kbps mono is higher quality than 224kbps stereo.Thats because stereo being 2 channels each channel is using 112 kbps.So the 128 is slightly better than the 112.I normally use mono and because it adds so much time I use 160kbps.But you must use either a rewired mic like the GS for iRiver or an adapter such as the one I made.(normal adapter doesn't work)

Leonardo Silva Jr. August 24th, 2005 02:22 AM

Yes jack, i am using a modified lav mic done by darrren (GS) well, then i will try to jack it up to 162kbps then...i wonder how long will be the recording for a 256 MB...well i have to see it on myself. :)

Bill Binder August 24th, 2005 12:58 PM

Considering that the iRiver is recording in the lossy MP3 format, and then you are eventually going to compress it again during render (to whatever format), I'd always go with the highest res bit rate possible if I were you. It's kind of like if you ripped a music cd to mp3 format, then re-encoded that mp3 to ac3 -- that's two lossy compressions in a row. So, it can only help to go with the highest bit rate possible if you have the space on the flash.