A windy wedding (possibly rainy).. how to handle? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: A windy wedding (possibly rainy).. how to handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Find a fabric store. they should have a selection of faux fur. I bought some about 3 inches long and trimmed as needed. I fitted it around the foam cover I have for my lavs and threw a couple of stitches in it. Of course because it's so small, I also managed to get my fingers a few times but no major blood draw.
Like I said, not as good as store bought but they did the job. Had enough to make a few 100.
O|O
\--/
Thanks Don - - I'll give that a try
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #17
Trustee

any fur you can find (don't touch the cat) will help if you can't buy the real thing - it makes a world of difference. I recall someone saying they had a similar situation and just did an ADR on the vows!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So Johannes...
How did the shoot go...
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Ray

His shoot is this Saturday I believe!! not last Saturday... I'm watching the weather here carefully and holding thumss !! Looks like we will have plenty rain on Friday night but it just might clear up by Saturday lunchtime...if that happens, Johannes is in the clear cos the wind should be calm!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #20
Major Player

Hey Ray. Yes, as Chris mentioned its this Saturday. Weather looks slightly promising, I hope its dead calm by the time the ceremony starts.

Unfortunately, I'd only have 15 minutes to prepare as the venue doesn't allow me to go in any earlier. And the bride had ask me to video her car arriving at the ground floor. There's gonna be a lot of adrenaline pumping on the day! Wish me luck :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Chris..
Hope you reached a decision on the other issue we were talking about....

Sorry Johannes.. I thought it was last Saturday..well best of luck sounds as thou you will be earning your money and lets all know.

I have a wedding on the escarpment overlooking the south coast of NSW this saturday. If its fine and sunny then it be lovely...however if its windy which it is 50% of the time then i will have to use rock studs hammered into the rock just for the tripod.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:40 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Ray

Still playing with the 720P ideas but it is the way to go even if you can't distinguish between final DVD renders...(well I can't anyway) I'm free this weekend so I'll shoot some meaningful footage in both modes and do some test results....problem is that because the brides want SD DVD's most of what you achieve is killed by the time it's in DVD format!!

Johannes?? I'm also hoping for a dead calm at midday for you... the scenario at Bell Tower is to zip up in the lift to the 6th floor...set up the static cam and hopefully wire the groom for audio and go back to the ground floor and wait for the limo...!! Once the bride has arrived, you can safely film her coming right into the tower on the ground floor. Then grab the lift (on your own!!) and tell her you will send it back down for her..that will give you enough of a breather before she arrives....typically brides don't go to floor 6 but floor 5 and then make a grand entrance up just one flight of stairs....you will have lot's of time !!!

Let us know how everything pans out????

Chris
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Chris! Yes I heard they will be waiting in the stair between 6th and the 5th. I think I'll ditch my glidecam for this ceremony as it seems like a small place to work around with anyway. I also hope the shades are consistent so that I dont have to constantly adjust my aperture.

I'm mentally ready. Fingers crossed, we'll see what happens in two days! :)
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Major Player

Wedding day not over yet but I'm excited to tell that weather was excellent! Sun wasn't overpowerig, almost no wind at all, only light rain before wedding.. It was fabulous!!

And to top that, we bumped into Julia Gillard (The prime minister) just minutes before the ceremony! Not that I voted for her, but hey, talk about lucky day! :D
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #25
Trustee

Johannes, I'm waiting for the rest of your message which goes on "... and when I framed up the Prime Minister she recorded just the most wonderful message of good wishes to the happy couple."

On the other hand, if your luck's like mine, the camera was still in its bag!

You must have had the good wishes of at least a dozen video people from here with you on this shoot, all hoping for good weather. Who now doubts the power of prayer!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I was thinking of you at mid-day today and when we had slightly overcast skies and virtually no wind at all I realised that maybe everyone holding thumbs DID work!!!

It always nice to see us guys get a break now and again!! Great the weather held Johannes!!!!

Enjoy the rest of the wedding

Chris
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #27
Major Player

Just had the chance to reply today. I almost immediately left the country next day after the wedding.

I thank everyone's well wishes and support. It was a great relief for everyone including the B&G of course. It was raining as the bride stepped out of the car. But it immediately stopped as she about to walk the isle. How wonderful! and the rest of the day was amazing, we had a great time at location shoot too.

I'll post the highlight in the next few days to share this visually :) Thanks again gents :)
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #28
Major Player

Hey guys, i've posted the highlight of the wedding day in the other thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1668427

Thanks again for the wishes! Works like wonder!!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques