the knot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

the knot

Just wondering if anybody advertises with the knot? Is it worth the money?
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: the knot

I would never advertise on The Knot. In my experience, Knot brides are usually looking for cheap video.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think you'll find opinions vary widely on this and I think a lot of it has to do with the market you're in. I've heard guys say it didn't work for them and they would never use it again and I've heard others say that it was their best spent advertising dollars.

In my case...we decided to advertise with them last October and we have booked 12 weddings thus far half of which were our middle to top tier packages. My opinion at this point is that it was money well spent...YMMV. Sure, we have to field a few calls from brides looking for a deal but we were doing that even before we were listed with the knot.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Is the general recommendation to try google adwords first?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Use Wedding Wire. It has been our single-most important lead for weddings since we've signed up, and it's free. You create a profile, you can even put video samples right on their page. They do try to email you or call you and up-sell you to a paid listing every now and then, but they are not too pushy, and in my area, free has been working for us, so why should I pay?

On our website page contact form we have a "how did you find us?" question....I would say over 75% of our email inquiries say "weddingwire.com"
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
Is the general recommendation to try google adwords first?
Google Adwords have worked reasonably well for me.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Major Player

The Knot is over-priced.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Fasel View Post
Use Wedding Wire. It has been our single-most important lead for weddings since we've signed up, and it's free. You create a profile, you can even put video samples right on their page. They do try to email you or call you and up-sell you to a paid listing every now and then, but they are not too pushy, and in my area, free has been working for us, so why should I pay?

On our website page contact form we have a "how did you find us?" question....I would say over 75% of our email inquiries say "weddingwire.com"
Out of curiosity Katie, who is your target market and what is there budget? If you aren't comfortable sharing specific numbers, could you give me generic info such as "economical", Mid-level" or "high-end" customers/packages?
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Major Player

I am using the knot and find that most of the inquires I get are asking for lowest package I offer.
I do get some high end wedding from there as well.
I think if you are not in the business for long and need for some work, it's a great place to start.
It took me some time to find the sweet spot and build packages around it.
I hope with time I would not have to use the knot and get business from referrals.
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kopec View Post
Out of curiosity Katie, who is your target market and what is there budget? If you aren't comfortable sharing specific numbers, could you give me generic info such as "economical", Mid-level" or "high-end" customers/packages?
I would say based on your three descriptions, we're in the "Mid Level" range. We try to be competitive with other videographers in our area that have packages similar to ours. Our all-day package - bridal prep, ceremony, reception - is our most popular package, and our price is very similar to others in our area, with one exception: we never charge for two videographers...My husband and I are both shooting most of the time...I say that lightly because I usually do bridal prep by myself, and b-roll is a free-for all...but for any major events, I just don't want the editing headache of shooting with one camera and something possibly going wrong...anyway, I think it's one thing we try to use to set ourselves apart from others in our area.

In all honesty, I never know what our brides budget for videography, because our prices are spelled out on our website...That really eliminates those looking for the "economical" level. People looking to pay little, should expect to receive very little, IMO. For the most part, our full-day is our most popular package, and most of our customers appreciate the time and work that goes into it.
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The Knot is the single best marketing tool for me. I started advertising with them 5 years ago and now they account for 50% of my new bookings, the other 50% is referrals, mostly from brides who booked me through the knot! I pay for WeddingWire advertising and it does ok, but not great. I got the Knot Best of Weddings award for last year and in January, February and March I booked 22 weddings from that alone.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Jeremy,
It depends on how much your packages are. I was getting inquiries when I was in the 1-3k range.
0 on 3k and up category.

I only booked one from them(2-3k package range), and it has been 4months. so it pays off.

you only need one bookings and youre break even.

If you charge 3k up, good luck on that.

hope it helps.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Major Player

It's worked well for me. We don't book a ton from it, but every booking that has come from it has been over $7K. First gig booked from it payed for our listing for several years.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques