DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shock horror: Photographer and Videographers work together at wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/497355-shock-horror-photographer-videographers-work-together-wedding.html)

Colin McDonald June 18th, 2011 04:16 PM

Shock horror: Photographer and Videographers work together at wedding

1 Attachment(s)
Photographer Sharon Casey with Videographers Alastair Brown (left) and his assistant Martin (centre) discuss camera technique at their meal break at my eldest daughter's wedding yesterday.

Apologies for poor iPhone photo taken after two glasses of wine and several pints of Belhaven Best.

John Wiley June 18th, 2011 06:03 PM

Re: Shock horror: Photographer and Videographers work together at wedding

It's amazing what you can do in photoshop these days... you nearly had me believing this was a real photo.

Seriously though, I think the whole videographers vs photographer thing gets blown out of proportion. Like anything on the internet, you only hear the complaints, but very few good stories. Nobody has a good experience with a vendor and then runs home to blow off steam about it on a forum. For every uncooperative, arragant photographer there are three courteuos, professional photographers and one who is a absolute dream to work with - it's just that you never hear about those ones.

James Strange June 18th, 2011 06:36 PM

Small world,

Sharon my photographer at wedding last year, and alistair is also man behind glidetrack, whose world wide hq happens to be in my neck of the woods.

Small world

Chris Harding June 18th, 2011 06:39 PM

Hi Colin

That just proves it's not a myth!! Then again after a fair number of pints of Belhaven Best they would probably be best of friends...remember this is the reception now..the ceremony fighting is just a distant memory!! At this stage the pace slows, the food is good so friendships blossom!!

Seriously, I normally make a point of eating with the photog and the company is enjoyable. One thing you didn't point out is that the poor girl is outnumbered in this one...it's normally the other way around!!

Nice to see peaceful co-existence!!

Chris

Chris Hurd June 18th, 2011 06:46 PM

Back in the day when I used to shoot weddings, peaceful coexistence with the photographer was the rule, not the exception. We shared downtown studio space with one of the best bridal photographers in the area and I worked side by side with him quite a bit. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a negative encounter with a photographer. The idea that it's some sort of problem in this market is really overblown so far out of proportion that it's ridiculous, and I'm speaking from many years of experience.

Chris Harding June 18th, 2011 08:26 PM

Chris is right!!

It's more the exception than the rule. I normally have a great time with the photog and we always end up exchanging business cards and work well together. The postive experiences in a full season can often be 100% but we always tend to remember the bad ones even if they were ages ago!! Look at the news!! Good news is seldom a newsworthy item only bad news so you don't even hear about the good stuff as people want to listen/read only about "Photographer and Videographer fight at wedding" ... "photographer and videographer work in perfect harmony" just isn't newsworthy!!!

If you liase and make friends with the photog BEFORE the show begins then things will go smoothly...I think also your own attitude makes a big difference and having respect for each other.

Remember that there must be photogs that have also experienced the "videographer from hell"

It's all about working together and keeping in mind that the bride is more important than both of you.

Chris

Dror Levi June 18th, 2011 10:34 PM

I have tried to be friends with theme before as well.
I even called the photographer prior to the event to say Hi and I got a snob guy who does not know what do i want from him
It is all about personalty. some of theme think that it is all about theme and ignore you all the time and some are low key.
What I did notice is that photographers always in a rush and uptight. As well they are freaking out when the video guy try to take control.
I tend to talk with the copes prior to the wedding and advice on the parts that I need control,that way I get what i need.
Even then, I have a photographer that try to tell me how to film the first look and try to take over the control.
If you are asking me, I think that some of theme ignorant.

Warren Kawamoto June 19th, 2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1659563)
For every uncooperative, arragant photographer there are three courteuos, professional photographers and one who is a absolute dream to work with - it's just that you never hear about those ones.

Absolutely true!!

Colin McDonald June 19th, 2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Strange (Post 1659570)
Small world,
Sharon my photographer at wedding last year...

"BIG smile, James..... WAAAAAY hey!"

Corey Graham June 19th, 2011 04:05 PM

I have never had a bad experience with a photographer. They've all been more than willing to help out and work together. Every once in a while they jump into my shot, but I'm equally as guilty of stepping in front of them occasionally.

No matter what, I just stay positive, personable and helpful.

James Strange June 19th, 2011 06:06 PM

So true, so true, so true

Vito DeFilippo June 19th, 2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1659563)
For every uncooperative, arragant photographer there are three courteuos, professional photographers and one who is a absolute dream to work with - it's just that you never hear about those ones.

I shot a wedding on Saturday with a photographer that I've worked with many times. Probably a dozen times during the shoot, he actually glanced at my LCD to check my frame before moving forward to get his shot. He wanted to make sure he wasn't blocking me. Now that's courtesy!

In my years doing weddings, I've found photographers to be almost universally great to work with.

Don Bloom June 19th, 2011 09:18 PM

Yep, 99% of the photogs I've worked with over the years have been good to work with. We respect each others craft and try to work together. Sometimes the first time you work with someone there may be a glitch or 2 but nothing worth warring over and the next time it isn't an issue BUT there's usually 1 a year that get's to me and we do have words. I always start out being nice but then I'm not so nice and if need be I'm a real "treat" (IOW, I can be a great big SOB) but that has only happened maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 10 or 11 years.
Most are good folks and a pleasure to work with.

George Kilroy June 20th, 2011 02:36 AM

As with all people that I meet at a wedding, photographers are a mixed bunch, I've encountered uncooperative drivers, hotel staff, vicars (that goes without saying), DJs, as well as photographers.

I couldn't put a percentage on it but I've worked with many more amenable photographers than obstructive ones, in fact I've made some good friends from the photographers some who I now meet with socially, and have even covered family weddings for some of them.

As for eating with the 'opposition' I always do that (if they are still around) even if it's been a fraught day and they have been particularly difficult to work with, which is usually when there is more than one. Most don't have the intention of 'spoiling' our work just concentrating on doing theirs.

Monday Isa June 22nd, 2011 06:04 AM

I'm shocked you didn't give them a table to sit at inside the wedding ballroom! :p