Audio Set Up For Wedding - thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Set Up For Wedding - thoughts?

I have been running a few audio tests before shooting my sisters wedding. I own the 2 Zoom H1s and a Rode Video Mic. Don't have any more cash to spend on this unless I returned the Rode for something else so this is the equipment I have to work with. My tests can be heard here:

YouTube - ‪Rode Video Mic vs Zoom H1 vs T3i - REDUX‬‏
and
YouTube - ‪Rode Video Mic vs Zoom H1 vs T3i‬‏

Posted in the audio forum but the comments were pretty much not to shoot the wedding. This is not an option and much planning has gone into this. As an aside, however, my sister does have a pro photographer and the video aspect is something she didn't ask for. I am just doing.

I am thinking the best set up will be the have the Rode Video mic attached to a Zoom H1 between them (or above) on a mic stand/tripod set up and the other Zoom H1 plugged into the T3i.

Tests, however, seem to indicate the Zoom into the T3i is not much of a dif from the Rode into the Zoom H1. Trying to get some extra thoughts on this set-up / the sound tests to decide if I should just keep the two Zooms and return the Rode and stick with both.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio Set Up For Wedding - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
I have been running a few audio tests before shooting my sisters wedding. I own the 2 Zoom H1s and a Rode Video Mic. Don't have any more cash to spend on this unless I returned the Rode for something else so this is the equipment I have to work with. My tests can be heard here:

YouTube - ‪Rode Video Mic vs Zoom H1 vs T3i - REDUX‬‏
and
YouTube - ‪Rode Video Mic vs Zoom H1 vs T3i‬‏

Posted in the audio forum but the comments were pretty much not to shoot the wedding. This is not an option and much planning has gone into this. As an aside, however, my sister does have a pro photographer and the video aspect is something she didn't ask for. I am just doing.

I am thinking the best set up will be the have the Rode Video mic attached to a Zoom H1 between them (or above) on a mic stand/tripod set up and the other Zoom H1 plugged into the T3i.

Tests, however, seem to indicate the Zoom into the T3i is not much of a dif from the Rode into the Zoom H1. Trying to get some extra thoughts on this set-up / the sound tests to decide if I should just keep the two Zooms and return the Rode and stick with both.

Cheers,
Rob
Can you spend a few more bucks and get an omni directional microphone to plug into the Zoom and put it in the grooms pocket and clip the mic on his lapel?
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Major Player

If you can't then I'd sell the rode mic in order to do so... putting an omni directional mic on the grooms lapel is the way to get the best audio from not only the groom but the bride and officiant as well. Then just aim the secondary zoom in the general area just incase...
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Remember that to get good audio the recording device has to be as close as possible to the source; they do not work in the same way as zoom lenses :- )

I would put the Rode into the dSLR and have the camera's audio set to auto - don't muck about with setting it manually if you are inexperienced because you will not be able to "ride the levels" whilst simultaneously shooting with the dSLR. There is a big difference in levels between when say hymns are being sung and organs played and when vows are being whispered. You will have to fight the autogain in post but it is fairly straightforward to do this in e.g. Vegas Pro with acceptable results using envelopes in the audio track.

The dSLR audio track will also act as your reference track for syncing sound with the two H1's using Plural Eyes.

Have an H1 on the groom together with a cheap lav from e.g. Giantsquid by all means but you'll still have issues like the groom being louder than the bride and the officiant being quieter than either of them.

Instead consider hiding the H1 in a flower arrangement or suchlike very close to the three of them. Hide the other H1 in a similar way in a position that will pick up any readers from whatever position they may occupy. If the two H1's are quite close to each other set their Levels at different values to cover yourself as you cannot adjust them during the ceremony e.g. try one at 70/100 to get the speaking and the other at 50/100 to get the singing without clipping. Or you could try attaching one H1 to the venue's sound board if you know what you're doing (and don't rely on it!).

You will be very unpopular if you attempt to place an H1 on a mic stand right next to the couple :-)

In post use pluraleyes to sync the three sound tracks - it only takes a few seconds plus Pluraleyes will take account of the fact you'll have multiple clips from the dSLR and just a single track from each H1.

Between your three audio tracks you should have decent audio e.g. the dSLR for the singing and loud stuff, the 70/100 H1 for the vows, the 50/100 H1 for the insurance.

If the venue has a half decent PA system you could get good results simply by placing one of the H1's near a speaker.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A bit of extra info:

The priest will have a mic.
Bride/Groom are fine with the mic/tripod setup being near them.

I deduce if the priest is on a mic then they place WILL have a PA system of sorts.

From my tests the Rode into the T3i was the worst audio sound. The Zoom into the T3i sounded best. The rode into the Zoom H1 sounded nice, though.

I will be located in the middle. I do not have a "good" super zoom lens so will be shooting with a 50mm 1.8 unless the 50-250mm works.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
I will be located in the middle. I do not have a "good" super zoom lens so will be shooting with a 50mm 1.8 unless the 50-250mm works.
Not audio related at all but unless your venue is exceedingly well lit the F/4-5.6 aperture of the 55-250mm lens will not be wide enough. As you are using a T3i(600D) the 3X HD crop mode will turn that 50mm lens into a 150mm lens which will at least enable you to get close enough for the ceremony without being on top of the couple.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques