cross-border weddings. hassles? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: cross-border weddings. hassles?

I never ever thought that European harmonisation would ever have any good points until I read this topic. It was stupid of me to not even think about the 'working' aspect - I thought just like Philip - we were just talking about import/export/using.

I'd never ever thought about two countries both in North America as two countries- as in border controls? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm well aware that us Brits cannot come to the US and do any work - it's been a pain many times where a nice job was offered, but the visa situation wrecked it - but I assumed (wrongly) that if you lived near the border, because there's no actual Berlin Wall style divider that US citizens probably worked in Canada, and Canadian citizens no doubt worked in America.

At the Southerly end, I'd always thought it odd to read about the problems with Mexican immigration, when according to Google Earth, people could stroll across into a new country?

Isn't it about time the US and Canada got together and made cross border working possible? I mean - if Europe can do it where we don't even speak the same language - surely two big countries could sort this one out? Is there no freedom to trade with your neighbours at all? Wow! The fact business people have to trade illegally in this way because of a line on a map is to me, simply unbelievable. It wouldn't be a one-way traffic, would it? US people surely must want to trade with Canada, and Canadians near the border must wish to be able to trade with the US.

Silly question - do US border towns take Canadian money, and vice-versa?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Gee that sounds like a pain in the butt... I am glad we dont have those issue here.. I go interstate from time to time doing weddings and just take it for granted when taking my gear outside of NSW.

Why cant u go from canade to usa anyway, isnt it just one big state?
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I never ever thought that European harmonisation would ever have any good points until I read this topic. It was stupid of me to not even think about the 'working' aspect - I thought just like Philip - we were just talking about import/export/using.

snipped

Silly question - do US border towns take Canadian money, and vice-versa?
Although it's still on topic the detail may be irrelevant to many readers so I will be brief. However, as someone who for 16 years worked in France commission to commission, and intended to move to there permanently, I would add that Paul's praise for the practical benefits of EU harmonisation are often honoured only in the breach.

Also remember that the EU is not all Eurozone so whilst a Brit could take on a wedding video commission in France without further permission, the billing would be from a UK address in sterling and, as a retail transaction, subject to UK sales (VAT) tax. That used to be in our favour (17.5% v 19.6%), but the recent increase to 20% in UK VAT now slightly favours the French supplier.

Finally, in my experience Swiss retailers, especially those in the border areas, accept Euros but of course the rate of exchange generally favours the retailer.

For Ray, Free Trade has many attractions but national interests and ambitions, governments and deficits and banks etc sometimes get in the way! There are many Europeans who think the EU was created by Gen de Gaulle to make Europe a Greater France rather than the 49th state of the Union after WW2. (On the basis that the European Coal and Steel Community preceded Alaska and Hawaii's statehood).
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The chances are that if a British videographer were doing a wedding gig in France it would be for a UK couple having a destination wedding there so there would be no problems with being paid in foreign currency.

20% VAT is about the average for Europe although the Nordic countries have 25% so there is no tax advantage or disadvantage to taking on work in the EU.

I grew up in Fishguard in West Wales where the Irish ferry docks & Irish coins were quite widely used at that time (1960s). At the time the punt was tied to the same value as the pound sterling & the coins were the same size so could operate slot machines. Later the punt floated at a different rate so I doubt that they were then accepted or if they were would have been at the unfavourable informal exchange rates found in other border areas.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques