Questions for the wedding editors - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Questions for the wedding editors

Hi Chris

What does "8 hours" have to do with quality??? If a wedding is shot with 6 cameras, nothing synced, and the colour balance is way off then it will take a huge amount of work to make "watchable" ..BUT even after 40 hours of editing the quality might still be terrible!!!

You can easily have a single or dual cam shoot with nicely composed shots, minimum waste footage and colour balance almost perfect which any editor could neatly wrap up in less than 8 hours. (Obviously rendering and DVD authoring takes longer) but whether an edit takes 4 hours or 40 hours, quality doesn't even come into the mix... out of focus and badly exposed footage can maybe be attempted in an edit but it will still be low quality!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I guess you're right, quality is the wrong word, the video can be of high quality but boring. I guess I'd love to see an example of a wedding that took 8 hours to edit and isn't just a bunch of cross dissolves and is something that the couple will actually want to pull out and be proud to show to their friends and family. It's my personal taste, but I find that brides I work with do notice motion graphics and time spent color grading the video. I charge enough to make it worth my while and they are willing to pay the extra money to have a video that they will cherish.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #33
Major Player

I guess it depends on what type of video you are producing. If you are producing something complicated like highlights, then obviously you will need to spend more time. But if it's documentary style, then it is easier to edit given that your footages are of good quality.

And surely it depends on how good you get. I've seen some amazing SDEs done in 2 hours that is far better than what I could produce in 4 hours or even more.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques