Local TV station just did an exposé on a wedding videog... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Local TV station just did an exposé on a wedding videog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
I'de have to say that I'm a little surprised with all animosity towards videogs that deliver months later.
I should clarify that when I wrote "months," I meant several months. In fact, my contract states 4-6 weeks, which you could stretch to mean 1 1/2 - 2 months. Going over 3 months just seems very long to me. I know it's called the "industry standard" delivery time (this detail was part of my event video training in the 90's), but I can't for the life of me imagine why. Unless you're so busy with other work, that it crowds the wedding editing time out -- at that point I'd think you should re-evaluate your business.

Just my opinion. No animosity, just curiosity.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

My turnaround is 30-60 days. Main reason for that time frame is it takes 3 weeks to get the DVD's from Discmakers once the order and graphics have been submitted. I did a bridal show last Jan. for the first time and booked about 20 weddings and the main reason brides said they chose me was 1. I was the only videographer who had prices posted. 2. All others would take 6-8 months to deliver the DVD's 3. I have no travel fees. 4. I was the only one handing out demo DVD's. Believe it or not, brides want DVD's, not links to demos. Four brides told me they just threw everything in a bag and went threw it later. When they went threw it, they found my DVD and watched it then called and booked me without looking at anyone else. Brides tell me they have info from hundreds of vendors and need the info in their hands because they are not going to sit down and search through hundreds of links.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

I often get the same comments from brides who visit my website..."You seemed to be the only one with prices" and also reasonable delivery time. I also keep a bunch of sample DVD's with me...an audio/visual experience is always better than a glossy brochure and because they physically need to sit down and watch you have a captive audience!!!

My main reason for providing a huge amount of detail on both website and DVD samples is that I'm a really rotten salesman!!! By structuring the site so brides can make a decision prior to me visiting and I don't need to try and "sell" a package...they are ready to sign a contract when I arrive. I can say that in probably the last 3 or 4 seasons I have only had one couple who said "Can we think about it??" (they never signed anyway) so in sales lingo that's almost a perfect closing rate!! and with my sales skills I really need the bride to say "Where do I sign"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Michael

I usually do around 30 per season ...based on one each weekend thru our season which is September to May.. as already mentioned that makes doing one each week pretty simple.

Of course if I was a video machine like Don who manages twice that (I think he mentioned 60?? Forgive me if I'm wrong Don) I would have to look at someone to help me edit (or shoot) to achieve a reasonable delivery time.

Chris
hey Chris. I have 110 so far this year.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Michael

I usually do around 30 per season ...based on one each weekend thru our season which is September to May.. as already mentioned that makes doing one each week pretty simple.

Of course if I was a video machine like Don who manages twice that (I think he mentioned 60?? Forgive me if I'm wrong Don) I would have to look at someone to help me edit (or shoot) to achieve a reasonable delivery time.

Stephen, there is certainly no animosity towards producers who have longer delivery times at all!!! Just curious why it takes so long and if, in fact, it does take 60+ hours of editing what do you actually do for 60 hours ???

My costing is based on my hour rate for the whole gig and if I take more than, say, 15 hours to edit and package I'm effectively losing money or working for a lower rate.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hill View Post
The consumer complaints reporter for one of our major tv stations did an exposé on the evening news tonight about a local wedding videographer. I missed the program, but others watched it and told me about it right away. The complaints were primarily about wait times. The videographer's trailer videos, at least, are very well done.
The problem is that there are many couples who have received their short trailer / highlight video, but have been waiting over a year for the rest of their videos. The videographer basically said he's been having personal problems and is now no longer taking on new clients until he finishes the overdue videos.

The reporter then made two suggestions for brides and grooms:
- Always pay 1/2 as a deposit and 1/2 after they are satisfied with the delivered product
- Always make sure the contract has a clear timeframe regarding when the videos will be finished by

------

Having not seen the video myself, I can't say a whole lot, but I wanted to bring this to your attention. Obviously I feel bad for the couples who've had to wait over a year (and are still waiting...) for their videos, but these programs also tend to hang the responsible companies out to dry. A one year wait time for videos is actually not uncommon. (Stillmotion has taken up to 2 years to deliver videos.) I would suspect one of the problems is that the couples were not told that the videos might take this long, and thus they expected them much much sooner. (Though a year is still much to long to have to wait, IMHO)

I'll post a link to the video if they post it tonight / tomorrow.

Back to editing!
The videographer admits to having personal problems. Maybe he had a death in his family and it has set him back. The guy may deserve some slack.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

How on earth do you manage that many weddings in a year!!!! You must surely have more than one person working for you???? That sounds like you are doing Friday, Saturday, Sunday scenarios....I'm too old to do that....I'm exhausted after doing 2 in a weekend so I'm usually happy with just one....we also don't have many Friday weddings here....most brides go for Saturday and Sundays are also sparse too!!

I do real estate shoots during the week too (sometimes every day!!) so one wedding a week is often enough....I thought Don was the machine but the honour now goes to Michael!!!!

Chris
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
You surprise me Chris - and frankly if the "big boys" can't manage a maximum 12 week turnaround even in peak season well they're not that big.

Shooting is only part of the job and if people can't do the edit in a reasonable time they don't deserve the business.
I quite agree with Philip - I always tell my clients 6-8 weeks and have only ever gone over that time with clients who are tardy getting information to me in order to finish the edit
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
hey Chris. I have 110 so far this year.
You say so far and we are only half way through the year, I think this could do with a bit of expansion; do you work alone or employ people to shoot and edit? This seems a might high number for any one person to book, shoot, edit and present on their own in six or seven months.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hey George

Michael surely must be doing more than one on a Saturday..over here Fridays are seldom and Sunday's are rare ..assuming you book 2 every weekend on my 9 month season that would only get 72 and Michael says 110 "so far" so there are more to come!!!

Then again I'm lazy!!! I'm quite happy to do a Saturday only which adds up to around 36 per season....If you are working on your own and do a Friday wedding getting to bed at maybe 2am ..you then have to drag yourself out of bed early on Saturday to get ready for the next one....and again on Sunday?????

That's why I say I'm lazy!!

Chris
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Michael

How on earth do you manage that many weddings in a year!!!! You must surely have more than one person working for you???? That sounds like you are doing Friday, Saturday, Sunday scenarios....I'm too old to do that....I'm exhausted after doing 2 in a weekend so I'm usually happy with just one....we also don't have many Friday weddings here....most brides go for Saturday and Sundays are also sparse too!!

I do real estate shoots during the week too (sometimes every day!!) so one wedding a week is often enough....I thought Don was the machine but the honour now goes to Michael!!!!

Chris
hey Chris. I'm shooting about 70 this year and i have 3 other videographers that fill in the rest. I have one editor and he's been ill so I'm looking to find another 1 or 2. Next week I have 4 weddings in a row booked myself (Thursday, Fri, Sat and Sunday).
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques