When a church is just too dark? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Major Player

When a church is just too dark?

I just did photography at a church that we always know is dark, and no ac so very hot.
Well they are having the stained glass windows refinished so there is plywood over the windows now.

In a couple weeks I have to do photography and video at this same church and not sure what to do. The balcony is also closes and no place to be upfront, has to be shot from the back.

Luckily this is a one camera coverage although I will still shoot with 2 Canon XF305's.
All I can think of is to shoot wide and set gain to +18 which I find very usable.

Here is a shot I took with the 1D IV at iso 2500 1/30 sec f 2.8 and had to push the exposure a little in LR3, this will let you know how dark it is.
Attached Thumbnails
When a church is just too dark?-_k015826.jpg  
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: When a church is just too dark?

I guess my question is when you are doing all you can do, do you just explain that that is what the lighting was. I can not light this ceremony, receptions I can but no way I can add lighting to a mass at this church, they insist everyone be behind the last row of guests.
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Denny, record it like it is. The client won't or shouldn''t expect you to make miracles and no doubt it was dark when they chose it.

Then in post use a filter to decrease/minimise the noise.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Then in post use a filter to decrease/minimise the noise.
I've just begun using Red Giant Denoiser, because churches around here are dark and reception halls are darker.

While I posted a more comprehensive review of it on my web site, the bottom line is that the results I get are great -- amazing, actually. However, to achieve these results, you have to endure numerous crashes and bugs. When it's all said and done, it was worth the $99.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I've just begun using Red Giant Denoiser, because churches around here are dark and reception halls are darker.

While I posted a more comprehensive review of it on my web site, the bottom line is that the results I get are great -- amazing, actually. However, to achieve these results, you have to endure numerous crashes and bugs. When it's all said and done, it was worth the $99.
Yep buy a noise reducer fileter... 100% worth the money. I use neat video with FCP and it works perfect. I shoot with Canon T2i who produce a pretty noisy picture anything above 800 iso. I've had to take it up to 3200 and, with the filter I love how it all turned out.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Obviously we each have our favourites; I use New Blue FX.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a noise reduction filter and do use it but you know we can only do what we can do.
I always give everything I have but like Phillip stated, we do not select the venue.

I just love it when we are set up at reception then all of a sudden just as a dance begins the lights go dim. LOL Reception we learn to make changes with lighting quick but church its tough.

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something and know of any miracle fix for these problems.

I know DSLR will help, but for long masses I just will not rely on them 100% especially in a non ac church in Aug talk about sensor heating up. ...

Thanks for the reply's
I am using Neat Video for noise are these mentioned above a lot better, if so may look into them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques