PAL footage to NTSC dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PAL footage to NTSC dvd

I have never dealt with PAL footage. A couple that had there video in Spain called upon us to create a highlight video. They gave us the raw footage with the copyright release from videographer. I use final cut. They don't want any ambient sound to it. Before I turn this into prores 422 light and start cutting away is there anything I need to be aware of. Would it look better if I turn this into 24p instead of 25Pal? And what is the best method to turn into 24p? They will want this dvd playable in the US (NTSC)
Joshua Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PAL footage to NTSC dvd

Hi Joshua,

I'm in PAL land and sometimes have to provide an NTSC DVD for U.S.A clients.

I shoot and edit in PAL (25p), output a single PAL AVI file. Use Canopus Procoder to convert this final output file into NTSC (30p) and then suck this 30p file into an NTSC project for final authoring.

Don't go 24p.

So you would capture and edit this in a 25p PAL project and convert the final file to NTSC (30p) before burning.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Very easy to do with no quality loss, as long as the original video is progessive not interlaced.

Edit it on a 25p timeline and render it out. Then use cinema tools to conform it to 24p.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Don't go 24p.
Why do you say this? Going to 30p you are going to have to either duplicate frames or blend frames and this will ruin the flow and cadence of the film as well as possibly introduce ghosting.

Going to 24p however, requires only a 4% speed shift - such a tiny adjustment that the audio pitch change will be un-noticed. You can hardly say this method is not acceptable when it is exactly the same (though reversed) process that is used to broadcast films in PAL countries. Before 24p was popular, many NTSC film-makers shooting for a film output would use PAL cameras, then deinterlace and adjust the speed in post to get 24p.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi John. I've tried it. 24p looked like rubbish. 30p converted with Canopus Procoder and authored in an NTSC project looked perfect. Results obviously will vary dependant on tools and workflow, but this has been my experience.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So if I just edit in a 25p timeline and lay an audio track (highlight song) and then cut it in Final Cut, export quicktime and take to cinema tools and conform the final edit the audio will stay in cadence with my cuts if conformed to 24p? Or 30p? Will be roughly 5 minute highlight.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Since you are not using any ambient sound conform to 24p first. Then edit and mix the sound, this way there is no pitch shift in your music soundtrack when you master the 24p NTSC DVD.

Last edited by Eric Olson; July 23rd, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ok...so conform to 24p then prores 422 light, then cut and drop song. that makes sense to me. thanks.
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
Since you are not using any ambient sound conform to 24p first. Then edit and mix the sound, this way there is no pitch shift in your music soundtrack when you master the 24p NTSC DVD.
Yep if you're not trying to sync any live sound then this is the best way to go about it.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques