What should I look for in a 2nd Shooter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: What should I look for in a 2nd Shooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The problem now is (thanks to Philip) I just get cannot erase an image out of my mind of a very impressive looking model with all the right attributes laying bricks and dressed only in a pair of hot pants and high heels!!! .....
Chris
Sounds like great qualifications to me !!!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response, Jeff. Helped me to read Philip's post with fresh eyes. He was pretty clear, and I'll add my support to it. Having a second shooter implies at least three cameras to me (which is why I was confused).

And back to the question at hand... what to look for.

-- Find someone who is already shooting in your style. You'll have an easier time getting them to do what you want (because it's what they want).
-- Find someone who is easy to reach. I need to know that I can quickly book an event. I need to know that I can easily send you feedback online. Screenshots, snippets, etc. I don't want someone who takes forever to respond when planning or reviewing.
-- Find someone who has their own equipment. Can't hurt to have more back-ups, or extra angles.
-- Find someone who has gear or skills that you don't have. "That glide cam might be handy..." "Those extra audio channels are critical..." "Your mics costs what?!?!?" "I'm not sure we can fit this jib in the balcony..." "I'm sure the bride will love the pyrotechnics..."

Like gear, work with a few different people to get a feel for things. It will probably be obvious who is easy to work with and who isn't, who does a good job and who doesn't.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Christian

Despite being tempted by Chip's suggestions I figured paying a nice, trustworthy, well dressed assistant will be a lot cheaper than a divorce laywer so I went with that!!

I agree 100% with your first two points...unfortunately when shooter have their own gear then the price goes up and of course your prices will have to do the same thing!!

I would be a little hesitant at hiring someone as a 2nd shooter when they have all this gear and all this talent!! If they are so well equipped and shoot such good footage, why are they not shooting weddings and hiring their own assistant!!

I'm working this weekend with my first assistant who shows great promise, shoots my way and listens to what I suggest. I also have a potential backup lady so I think if both shoot equally well, it will come down to who I feel works best with me.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Trustee

Chris, you have a way with words. I've been married twice and can say from experience that having a backup lady isn't always the best way.

And Christian, Jeff's understanding of my point of view was exactly right.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques