Best way to store all this video / hard drive set up? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Best way to store all this video / hard drive set up?

Throw in my setup for reference.

4-bay raid system set to Raid 5 for redundancy and striping. All bays loaded with Hitachi 2TB Sata III drives for a total of 6TB in Raid 5 mode. This is where all of my current projects are loaded and hooked up via eSata. This drive pushes about 200MB/s which translates to roughly 30 streams of DSLR video. Way more than I can ever use.

For archive, I use two 2TB drives and copy the archive material to both drives. One drive stays with me and the other goes to a different location for storage.

I recently added a blu-ray burner into the mix and have debated burning my SD cards from the wedding onto Blu-Ray discs. I think I will probably begin doing that, but still debating the cost increase it will bring.

I feel a raid 5 is the best way to go because you maintain the speed needed while allowing for fault tolerance. Don't forget to make sure your drives sit on a UPS unit in case of a power surge or failure.

This is the particular raid unit I use:

Newegg.com - Raidon 4 Bay eSATA, USB 2.0, FireWire External Hard Drive Enclosure With Built-in SATA RAID 5 GR5630-4S-WBS2

But, if I had to buy one today I would choose this one for the Sata 6gb/s ports, USB 3.0, and lower cost:

Newegg.com - Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2FW ProRaid 4 Bay HDD Enclosure - USB 3.0 / eSATA / Firewire

Granted, I run on a PC, so if you are into the latest and greatest for Mac, then the Promise 6bay raid is a killer unit when combined with Thunderbolt. It comes with a hefty price tag, but I have heard it rivals the speed of SSDs.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM   #17
Regular Crew

We use a combo of what a lot of people have said. In the field we offload to a raid 1 drive and a regular drive with shotput pro. I keep the data on the cards as long as I can only reformatting right before using them. At the office we work on a internal raid 0 which is backed up nightly to a 6tb raid 5. After the project is finished we copy the deliverables to a raid 1 drive for the client, everything to an external drive for off site storage, leave it on the raid 5 and delete it from the internal raid 0. Once the raid 5 is filled we take out the drives and start a new raid while storing the old ones. I am seriously looking into tape instead of or in addition to the single external drive.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brewer View Post
I recently added a blu-ray burner into the mix and have debated burning my SD cards from the wedding onto Blu-Ray discs. I think I will probably begin doing that, but still debating the cost increase it will bring.
Don't bother. Aside from the expense there is the time involved plus the generally unreliable nature of optical media (proper WORM drives excluded). You could be looking at several hundred GBs per wedding & multiple Blu-ray discs.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM   #19
Major Player

When people buy hard drives, are you guys investing in enterprise level drives for any raid over raid 1? Should I listen to the warnings from western digital to not use caviar black (desktop drives) in a raid 5 configuration. Their RE4 drives cost twice as much.

Cost wise it looks like just mirroring your drives cost as much as using a raid 5 setup, just more hassle.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The original white paper that coined the acronym RAID referred to a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. It was the disk manufacturers who redefined it as Redundant Array of Independent Disks. The idea was to use multiple cheap disks but with redundancy so that if one failed you didn't lose data. The same principles still hold. You will have less failures with server grade disks but your data is just as safe.

Cost wise RAID 1 mirroring is the most expensive as you duplicate your storage. RAID 5 is the cheapest as you typically have four disks plus a parity disk (conceptually at least although the actual layout of data on the physical disks may vary). So with RAID 1 you use eight disks but only five disks with RAID 5 for four disks worth of data.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Awesome Raid 5 deal today on Newegg. Just in case anyone is looking.

Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brewer View Post
Awesome Raid 5 deal today on Newegg. Just in case anyone is looking.

Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

Sold out. :(

Oh well, I'm away from my desktop for a couple of more months anyway, so I guess it wouldn't have done me much good.
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Whoa that was quick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques