DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Your actions when bride cut filming in half? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/498984-your-actions-when-bride-cut-filming-half.html)

Edgar Vasiluk July 29th, 2011 02:16 AM

Your actions when bride cut filming in half?

Hi everyone, I have a wedding tmrw and originally bride wanted me for 8hrs, she paid deposit and rest should be paid tmrw, BUT, yesterday I received email where she want me only for 4 hrs due to financial difficulties...
Did you had this situation?

Chris Harding July 29th, 2011 02:35 AM

Re: Your actions when bride cut filming in half?

Hi Edgar

I have had a similar situation but not at such short notice..mostly my brides will take a smaller package and a month before the wedding they will want me for longer!!

4 hours??? I would do a bridal prep..go to the ceremony and shoot the complete ceremony and congrats afterwards then at the venue do a short video shoot with just the couple and go home!! She surely cannot expect you to go to the reception !!! My "mini package" is actually 3 hours max and covers from the arrival at the ceremony venue until the photog takes them elsewhere for the photos.

You will find that she is over budget and simply cannot pay you the extra so at least do the 4 hours and essentially the ceremony and a few "frilly bits" but don't go to the reception at all!! You can always do the 4 hours and remind her how important the speeches are etc etc..she might re-consider or even daddy might pay the extra!!!

Chris

Edgar Vasiluk July 29th, 2011 02:57 AM

Thanks for reply Chris,
I will go to reception anyway, because I start filming at the Church, and might offer her a little discount to film the rest of the wedding as I'm sure she really wants that. I did that on my last wedding but people there was with more money....
What I'm saying is that when they booked me, on the same day I had another enquire but for 6hrs. And I went of course for 8hrs. contract. Of course I'm disappointed now and asking you guys, is it normal when brides do this things?

George Kilroy July 29th, 2011 02:58 AM

Hi Edgar, such is the nature of this business at this time, at least she hasn't cancelled altogether as one couple did to me last year with only a week's notice. Chris's suggestion seems sound.

It depends on your attitude to your business (and your personality) as to whether you try to enforce the contract (if you do have a signed contract). You could stand your ground and say your contract is for 8 hours so it's that or nothing, or follow Chris's suggestion and cut a smaller package for her.My thoughts are better half than nothing and trying to pursue someone for money they haven't got is a frustrating and in the end a futile exercise, and not doing anything on a point of principal only looses you money.
I'd just say I understand the situation and tell her just what she'll be getting.

I know it'll be maddening when you get to the wedding and find two photographers, a stretched limo and vintage Roller, a room full of balloons, turtle doves, chocolate fountain and all the other 'essentials' that there must be at a wedding. Video is often the thing they think they can do without or drop.

Nicholas de Kock July 29th, 2011 03:28 AM

Personally I wouldn't show up to film the wedding at all with such short notice. We are paid a 50% non-refundable deposit to secure the date and the remainder a week before the wedding if the money doesn't clear in time we don't film the wedding. I've had too many problems getting money out of clients after the wedding, people will walk over you if you allow them. It's my experience that the client that undercuts you will give the most problems, if they don't respect your business they won't respect your product. You don't order a king size burger and then tell the cashier you don't have enough money please cut away half the beef patty, do you?

Chris Harding July 29th, 2011 06:29 AM

Hi Nicholas

Even as a fellow countryman (from Durbs!!) I have never done that and never would...it could be really bad for business!! At least do your 4 hours and get paid for it and come out as the nice guy ....to not show up and keep her money might even be a breach of contract from your side and even if it's not she certainly wouldn't recommend you to anyone else.... honey is sweeter than vinegar!!! These things happen and if she is broke you shouldn't really insist.

Chris

Roger Van Duyn July 29th, 2011 06:54 AM

I agree with Chris. Kindness often costs, sometimes a lot, at least in the short term. However, it's been my experience that good people appreciate acts of kindness and remember them for a long time. In business, as in life in general, a short term loss can lead to long term rewards. There's no telling just who the bride, groom, and their families might know, and what kind of result might come later from your act of kindness.

Sure, business is business. But kindness is a good thing even in business. Kindness generates positive responses from people, and we are very much in a "people" business.

Personally, I can't help but remember all the times in my life some other business person cut me some slack. You can bet your life I did everything I could to reciprocate. Have you heard those marketing consultants talk about "raving fans?"

Noa Put July 29th, 2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1670932)
I've had too many problems getting money out of clients after the wedding

I work with a deposit and final payment on delivery, that means the client has to pick up the dvd's at my place, if they don't have the money with them they don't get the dvd's, simple, never had an issue since I started working like this.

If the client says they have financial issues I'd say take their proposal, at least you will get paid even if it will be less, otherwise you end up with their dvd's and an unpaid bill. I often have people take extra paid options (like interviews) at first but change their minds later on, I just take it out then, no use of going into a discussion, I get paid a bit less but end up with happy clients that will tell others about their experience and that's a good investment as well.

Nicholas de Kock July 29th, 2011 07:03 AM

Awesome, didn't know you're from Durbs! Thing is Chris I've done too many favors for people in the past & never received a kind word or referral for all my hard work and many times they would be the one's bad mouthing or give us no food or seating. The clients that takes you seriously and pays up are the most courteous people the rest try to use and abuse you. I would be more forgiving with two months notice for a Friday or Sunday wedding but I wouldn't reduce their package selection I would work out a payment plan. I could have booked another wedding for their date I'm losing money and my contract is very clear and extensive on that subject, don't book me if you can't afford me. This hard lining comes from letting it slide and being disappointed, a few clients owe me money, I recently decided no more.

Chris Harding July 29th, 2011 07:05 AM

Hi Noa

I do much the same...1/3rd on booking, 1/3rd 2 weeks before the wedding and the final 1/3rd on delivery and never an issue!! Edgar's bride has at least come to him before the big day and said "I'm short of money" so she seems genuine!!! What if poor Edgar dis shoot 8 hours and the bride said.."I'm short I cannot pay you all your money...only half" .... as already said half a loaf is better than none...do the 4 hours and have the evening off......less editing too!!!

Chris

Chip Thome July 29th, 2011 07:07 AM

Edgar here's the reality. The friends will never hear she was running short on cash toward the end. What they will hear, if you would stiff them or just give them kinda crappy coverage etc, is what a crappy videographer you are. So I agree with Chris, give them some "selective" 4 hours of coverage and create something from that, that you are proud to present. Who knows you might even find a "new package" if you find you like this "selective" shooting, that you could offer to others.

Nicholas de Kock July 29th, 2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1670977)
I work with a deposit and final payment on delivery, that means the client has to pick up the dvd's at my place, if they don't have the money with them they don't get the dvd's, simple, never had an issue since I started working like this.

I've delivered amazing production before getting payment because I was so excited to get it to them then never got paid. I refused delivery the other day and low and behold they found a way to pay me in record time, so holding back the product does work. I'm all for giving & kindness after all weddings are a celebration of love but when it's the end of the month and bill are stacking up it gets my blood going to think people are willing to abuse my kindness so much.

Philip Howells July 29th, 2011 08:34 AM

I think my approach would be two pronged:

1 Find out how many "essentials" (George's definition thereof) and the fewer of them she's cancelled, the tougher I'd be, ie don't let video be the soft touch.

2 Offer them a deal eg shoot the whole wedding as per the original contract. Accept the 50% she's offering now as down payment and tell them you'll edit and deliver the contracted programme when they can afford the other half even it's months or a year away.

That way you'll get most of your money (less the interest you'd have earned on the second 50%), she'll get the programme she wanted and you'll be the good guy for making it all possible. The more they're making video the soft touch, the shorter the time I'd be prepared to wait for full payment.

George Kilroy July 29th, 2011 09:40 AM

Now that's why you are a successful business man Philip. A very pragmatic approach.

Edgar Vasiluk July 29th, 2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1670997)
I think my approach would be two pronged:

1 Find out how many "essentials" (George's definition thereof) and the fewer of them she's cancelled, the tougher I'd be, ie don't let video be the soft touch.

2 Offer them a deal eg shoot the whole wedding as per the original contract. Accept the 50% she's offering now as down payment and tell them you'll edit and deliver the contracted programme when they can afford the other half even it's months or a year away.

That way you'll get most of your money (less the interest you'd have earned on the second 50%), she'll get the programme she wanted and you'll be the good guy for making it all possible. The more they're making video the soft touch, the shorter the time I'd be prepared to wait for full payment.

Philip, I like your approach! Will offer this deal to them tmrw.
Thanks again!