DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do NOT repeat this mistake!:) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/498994-do-not-repeat-mistake.html)

Jeffrey Kauffman July 29th, 2011 09:31 AM

Do NOT repeat this mistake!:)

We knew these weren't tripods (obviously) but they're just stable enough for you to make a mistake like this one. Two weekends ago we were using our brand new Manfrotto 561bdhv monopods for a wedding when some excitement in the crowd happened after the first kiss. My wife who was filming on stage tried to get my attention and let go of her monopod for 2 seconds and this is what happened. Fortunately the only damage was a broken filter on the front of the 24-105 2.8 lens. The XHA1 in the balcony we used for the XLR audio inputs caught it for us. Woops!
Password: crash

George Kilroy July 29th, 2011 09:36 AM

Re: Do NOT repeat this mistake!:)

I thought the mistake was rushing to the front of the congregation. The clergy in your churches seem to be pretty easy going. I'd be thrown out of most churches here for making a sudden move like you did.

How was the camera by the way?

Jeffrey Kauffman July 29th, 2011 09:40 AM

George we were given free reign there. We usually talk to the church beforehand and the couple asked us to move around and film all over. You're right, a lot of churches and even some couples don't like that but we try to be flexible with them.

The camera (60d) was fine. We also used the lens later in the day and it survived fine too.

George Kilroy July 29th, 2011 09:47 AM

I hope you realise that my comment was tongue in cheek, though I fear the reality might well be true here in the UK. I've known a vicar pause the ceremony to admonish a photographer when he spotted him moving in for a closer shot.

Glad the camera survived.

Jeffrey Kauffman July 29th, 2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kilroy (Post 1671014)
I hope you realise that my comment was tongue in cheek, though I fear the reality might well be true here in the UK. I've known a vicar pause the ceremony to admonish a photographer when he spotted him moving in for a closer shot.

Glad the camera survived.

thanks George. Yeah I understand. Sounds like he was a little uptight:)

Travis Cossel July 29th, 2011 10:36 AM

She's fired! (just kidding of course) d;-)

George Kilroy July 29th, 2011 10:38 AM

It's not only the church buildings that are Medieval in this country, some of the clergy are stuck in the Middle Ages; thankfully fewer these days.

Jeffrey Kauffman July 29th, 2011 10:48 AM

Travis, it gets really tricky when it's your wife;) j/k

Edgar Vasiluk July 29th, 2011 11:22 AM

That was ossum!

Nicholas de Kock July 29th, 2011 11:55 AM

Shame she must have been in a panic after that, these DSLR's seems like tanks.

Buba Kastorski July 29th, 2011 12:11 PM

ouch,
thank God it happend on carpeted stage

Jeffrey Kauffman July 29th, 2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar Vasiluk (Post 1671044)
That was ossum!

Think the bride was referring to the camera crash? j/k

It all actually stemmed from the excitement of the bride's two brothers holding up numbered signs from the front bench rating the first kiss on a 1-10 scale. Funny!

Chip Thome July 29th, 2011 12:40 PM

Once upon a time I had my lil' buddy, a Panasonic GS300. Boy I really liked that camera, small, light, nice images, mic inputs. It really was a great little cam. Similar kind of situation, someone stepped on the 561B foot and broke it. I am sure the look on my face was shock as my lil' buddy hit the floor lens first.

RIP lil buddy..... still miss ya !!!!

Warren Kawamoto July 29th, 2011 01:37 PM

You should take your camera in for a check. Although it may appear to be ok, the optic path could be misaligned slightly enough to affect future recordings. Possible damage to the lens mount/body alignment too as the lens pushed up into the body on impact.

Jeffrey Kauffman August 2nd, 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1671079)
You should take your camera in for a check. Although it may appear to be ok, the optic path could be misaligned slightly enough to affect future recordings. Possible damage to the lens mount/body alignment too as the lens pushed up into the body on impact.

Thanks Warren.