Vimeo Pro? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Vimeo Pro?

It is my understanding that SmugMug does allow you to sell your videos commercially, they discourage commercial videos from being hosted from their servers. They even go so far as to define how things can be linked and framed?

I have a SM account - but abandoned it because of this commercial aspect and the fact that I have had a lot of difficulties getting embedded content to play properly, especially on mobile devices.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino View Post
Seriously guys...

I have both a Plus and Pro account. I have client videos on my Plus account to showcase my work and I have a Pro account for client/commercial work to be embedded in their sites. I did this, not because I am a boy scout, but because I don't want to have to explain to client what they got a DMCA letter or their video got deleted - because I chose to ignore T&Cs.

Now having a Pro account for clients has landed me two new clients, yup two, because I can actually house their videos for a very reasonable cost. This give me an advantage over the guy who just hands over a DVD.

Pro is a Win-Win for everyone...Seriously, what other options for this price are available? I have spent the past 3 years looking - there are none!
Works for me too. For my business use, I (or my clients) have zero interest in being a part of a "community" or having Vimeo pages pop up with links to potential competitors. I never understood why in the past Vimeo seemd to discount this type of a platform when others stated that's what they were looking for. I guess they've seen the light.

Even Brightcove which killed their free service and went "Enterprise", has come around from targeting big corporate type clients with deep pockets, to offer a more reasonable buy-in.

Not sure whether this new offering will meet all my expectations, but for this low price, seems like a no-brainer to give it a shot.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino View Post
It is my understanding that SmugMug does allow you to sell your videos commercially, they discourage commercial videos from being hosted from their servers. They even go so far as to define how things can be linked and framed?
It's not that they don't allow you to sell your videos it's just unlike still photographs they have no mechanism for it. They do allow commercial use & you can embed & link however you want using their player or a 3rd party player. We have been using their service to host video for clients' websites for 2-3 years in fact since they started their video hosting service. Until Vimeo announced their Pro service SmugMug were the only company offering a similar affordable service & if they would only get their player as functional as Vimeo's they still have advantages e.g. unlimited storage & bandwidth although videos are limited to 10 minutes in length.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques