DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Thanks Mark Von Lanken (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/499347-thanks-mark-von-lanken.html)

Denny Kyser August 8th, 2011 12:39 PM

Thanks Mark Von Lanken

Thanks Mark for all the help over the years, but most recently the specific questions on reception lighting and the use of 75w lighting.

I purchased a couple of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91763-REG/Frezzolini_91203_MFIC_4X_75W_Dimmer_Mini_Fill.html and had the best reception lighting I have ever had in this hall.

I am not saying other options would not have worked but these were just perfect, constant color temp, placed high enough in the air and angled down did not blind people or take away from the ambient lighting.

I have learned from Mark through his DVD's for years and one day will make it to a workshop.

I just know you long time pros get sick of answering questions but for us who never get the chance to network with pro video guys it sure is helpful when you share so freely.

Mark Von Lanken August 8th, 2011 09:48 PM

Re: Thanks Mark Von Lanken

Hi Denny,

Thanks for the kind words. I would rather have two 75 watt lamps on 12 ft. stands than a Glidecam or slider. The fundamentals of good lighting and audio are more important to me than fancy shots...but when you get the fundamentals right and then add some eye candy, well it's pretty sweet...pardon the pun. ;-)

Denny Kyser August 8th, 2011 10:42 PM

No problem Mark, fundamentals is what I was looking for, and your advice of having on camera lighting for the fast paced weddings also payed off. I hate flat lighting, but when its that or a silhouette of the bride and groom cutting the cake because the DJ slid it in real quick, its nice to have.

This fall / winter I will re look at your moving camera techniques and work on some eye candy but for the next fast and crazy weeks I will stick to the basic weddings that my brides have paid for.

Marc S. Brown August 10th, 2011 10:41 PM

O.K. - so I'm new but....
Two lights on 12 ft stands at a reception? What are you shooting? Are people coming to you to be interviewed? What about mobility? Those lights are over $350 a piece! And don't you need to attach soft boxes to them? That's another $300!

Seriously, I own some Von Lanken DVD's and owe Mark some thanks for steering me toward an HMC 40, but I'm thinking that I need another instructional DVD on wedding lighting...

Any suggestions?

Best,

Marc S. Brown
Serenade Productions

Denny Kyser August 11th, 2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc S. Brown (Post 1674184)
Two lights on 12 ft stands at a reception? What are you shooting? Are people coming to you to be interviewed? What about mobility? Those lights are over $350 a piece! And don't you need to attach soft boxes to them? That's another $300!

Seriously, I own some Von Lanken DVD's and owe Mark some thanks for steering me toward an HMC 40, but I'm thinking that I need another instructional DVD on wedding lighting...

Any suggestions?

Best,

Marc S. Brown
Serenade Productions

I put these up by the DJ's speakers along with a mic in front of one of his speakers.
My cameras are on tripods with on camera lights to use as a fill or if I need to video outside the coverage of the mounted lights.

Most of the important reception footage happens on the dance floor where these are.
First Dance, Father Daughter, Mother Son, Bouquet and Garter toss etc. If I have time and it works I move one of these lights to the cake cutting area.

I do not use a softbox, the are not turned all the way up and I use a diffuser / barn door accessory which diffuses them nice. You do need to add batteries to these lights, but that means they are ultra portable.

Michael Clark August 11th, 2011 09:16 AM

I wonder if anyone has any available footage they could post comparing this (or similar) setup versus without?

Mark Von Lanken August 11th, 2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc S. Brown (Post 1674184)

Any suggestions?

Best,

Marc S. Brown
Serenade Productions

Hi Marc,

Read this thread and you will gain more insight into off camera lighting for the reception, and no, you do not need a softbox on a 75 watt lamp.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...g-options.html

Mark Von Lanken August 11th, 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Clark (Post 1674281)
I wonder if anyone has any available footage they could post comparing this (or similar) setup versus without?

Hi Michael,

I did a Von Real on the subject of reception lighting. It shows on camera vs off camera...among other things.
EventDV-TV

Denny Kyser August 11th, 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Clark (Post 1674281)

I am very busy this time of year but will post something as soon as I can.

I can give you an example of what it would be like with out though.
Turn up your radio and close your eyes.

Noa Put August 11th, 2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1673540)
I would rather have two 75 watt lamps on 12 ft. stands than a Glidecam or slider. The fundamentals of good lighting and audio are more important to me than fancy shots...

I wish I could add some lights as well many times but unfortunately that's "not done" with weddings here, that's why I have to use dslr's and fast primes.

Gregory Lee August 11th, 2011 12:42 PM

Have you come across any objections to using extra lighting in the reception? I worry that it destroys the mood/atmosphere they might be trying to create. For larger banquet rooms, what about reflecting halogen work lights onto a white ceiling or wall?

Twin Head 1,000-Watt Halogen Telescoping Work Light-627-449 at The Home Depot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1673540)
Hi Denny,

Thanks for the kind words. I would rather have two 75 watt lamps on 12 ft. stands than a Glidecam or slider. The fundamentals of good lighting and audio are more important to me than fancy shots...but when you get the fundamentals right and then add some eye candy, well it's pretty sweet...pardon the pun. ;-)

Mark Von Lanken August 11th, 2011 10:03 PM

Hi Gregory,

No I have not had objections to using 2 75 watt lamps 12 feet in the air. It's not enough wattage to affect the atmosphere. I see 5 problems with the lights you linked to.
1. They are about 850 watts more than needed.
2. They are yellow.
3. They are big.
4. They only raise to 67 inches, which will put them directly in peoples eyes.
5. I doubt they are 3200K.

Now if you needed to use them for a non wedding event where the look of the fixture did not matter and you could bounce them or diffuse them, then they may work for that scenario where you need alot of wattage.

Take a look at the thread that I linked to and you can see how small the fixtures are that I use.

Michael Liebergot August 18th, 2011 07:26 AM

We have been using these lights form CoolLights for over 2 years now. Love them.
CL-LED256 256 LED Spot - Cool Lights USA

The light can run on both DC and AC power. We have the one with the Sony battery mount. I sue the onboard battery when in the studio. But I like to use remote control lighting for wedding receptions, so I need an external power source to do this. As my remote control needs to sit between a power source and the light in order to turn the power current on/off.

So we pair the LED256 up with the Doglin battery Doubler.
vDOUBLER

So I can use small Sony 970 NP batteries (Which I use for my cameras). Two 970 batteries can power each light for over 5 hours. I simply place the doubler in the LED256 bag and plug the miniplug to xlr cable to my remote control, then the remote control to my camera. The setup takes me only 10 minutes to setup 2 lights, which I also keep my the DJ speakers. It's very easy to reposition the lights if needed, like for the cake cuting.

They lights themselves are LED so they run cool, and have very little battery draw. They are daylight balanced, but so are my on camera lights which are used for fill only when needed). The lights have slide in gels (3200k, minus green 1/2 and 1/4) as well as a diffusion grid. I use the diffusion grid only with the lights and usually have the lights set to about 1/2 full ouput.

Works great, and is very portable.

I used to use Tungsten lights a few years back, but prefer the cooler running and energy efficient LED or Fluorescent lighting.
SO I have switched all of my lighting (studio and field) to be LED and Fluorescent only. I have smaller LED 256 and LED600 lights for field use. And also use the LED600 and 4 bank Fluorescent lighting for studio use.

Gregory Lee August 20th, 2011 06:25 PM

Thanks Mark. Did I read somewhere that the batteries you use to power the lights only last one hour? Thus I assume you don't use it for the entire reception?

And I assume you only light the dance area, rather than the whole room. (Often the cake cutting is on the other side of the dance floor)

I also wonder about using LED lights but putting a 3200K filter on it. They seem to consume less battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1674406)
Hi Gregory,

No I have not had objections to using 2 75 watt lamps 12 feet in the air. It's not enough wattage to affect the atmosphere. I see 5 problems with the lights you linked to.
1. They are about 850 watts more than needed.
2. They are yellow.
3. They are big.
4. They only raise to 67 inches, which will put them directly in peoples eyes.
5. I doubt they are 3200K.

Now if you needed to use them for a non wedding event where the look of the fixture did not matter and you could bounce them or diffuse them, then they may work for that scenario where you need alot of wattage.

Take a look at the thread that I linked to and you can see how small the fixtures are that I use.