Showreel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Showreel

Hi Guys,

I used to a flim a lot of weddings but then had to stop for a little while due to personal circumstances. Because I shoot a lot of Muslim / Sikh / Hindu weddings I am constantly told that the footage cannot be used for promotional purposes. I understand this but how do I now create a show reel if I have no footage?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Showreel

Step 1) I'm sure there's SOMETHING from the weddings you can show. Settings, dishes, dresses on hangers, etc. that show you do muslim and hindu weddings.

Step 2) Do a few christian weddings, so you have actual people in your reel. For cheap if need be, but only if the wedding is coming up...you don't want to book something to show in a reel, if it's going to be a year from now...

Step 3) Cut it together. Make sure to note that you respect the privacy of your couples. WIN.
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tariq, you ask how you can create a demo without footage. How do I create an apple pie with no apples?

Can't be done. You must do as Aaron says, get footage you can use. You must have footage, and you must get it yourself. Not easy, but it is never easy or quick when starting out.
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Because I shoot a lot of Muslim / Sikh / Hindu weddings I am constantly told that the footage cannot be used for promotional purposes.
Why can't the footage be used? Didn't you shoot it? Don't you have the rights to it?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Wondered the same thing Warren, but it was too obvious, so I assumed there was a reason it couldn't be used, whether for religious reasons or what. My Hindu customers from a month ago were upset when I posted a "surprise" video for them the next day, thinking they would be knocked out and happy, instead they wanted it taken down because they didn't want "the whole world to see it". Don't know if it's a cultural thing or not, I didn't ask, I just went with it, and wished I hadn't stayed up all night preparing it!
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Major Player

You just need to be creative, be ready to take a risk, and hustle up a job. I remember when I first started my business several years ago now, I literally cold-called wedding planners in my region and convinced one to call one of her brides (for that same weekend) with my offer to film their wedding free so I could have a demo reel. It worked! That's how it all started -- I had found a 0% interest credit card, bought a camera, and plunged in, but needed a demo reel to land clients. By cold-calling the wedding planner, I had a demo ready within a week or two, could book clients, and never paid interest on the investment (Sure, I would laugh at that demo reel now, but had to start somewhere). I know you're in a different category -- and not a beginner, but, if you really can't use any of the footage, then, it might mean doing a freebie. If you called one of your old wedding coordinators/venues/DJs or whatever, just explain your story and I'm sure they'd gladly hook you up for a freebie to get your demo built back up.

Good luck!
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all your help guys.

I have managed to put a showreel together with 1 bride giving me permission to use a small snippet. I would love your feedback.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27863082?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=ff0179" width="431" height="237" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Thank You
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Looks great! I would suggest, if you get a chance, to shorten two shots by half. The shot of the older women near the end who are a taking a bite of food. You really want to shorten that clip before you see them chewing. I would also shorten the shot of the Rolls Royce, it's twice as long as it should be.

Nice work, nice use of zoom. Best of luck!
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #9
Major Player

You are 100% right! Many Thanks ill get on that tonight :)
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Not Again! I have some families saying "I can see my head in that shot" "That is my table setting" and they want me to cut out all the hall shots, the same family did not pay me the full amount after they watched the preview DVD am I still entitled to use the footage?
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
I still entitled to use the footage?
Unless otherwise specified you are entitled to use ANY footage that YOU shot, but the question is if you want have that conversation with your clients and tell them that you are the boss, the best practice is to keep your clients happy at all times,
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Buba is right.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Major Player

Seriously, they are complaining that you used a shot of their table?

Umm...haven't had that issue! You're dealing with someone...special.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have managed to put a showreel together with 1 bride giving me permission to use a small snippet. I would love your feedback.
Even from someone with less posts than you and zero wedding videos produced? :) Assuming so, the vertical pan of the bride (2m20s - 2m27s) is a little jerky. I suggest running it through a stabilizer. Just as an experiment I ran that segment through the stabilizer in Vegas and it smoothed most of the jerkiness out - not perfect but much better.
Alen Koebel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques