Helping couples know what to look for at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Helping couples know what to look for

After speaking with several couples over the years, I realize most want to get the best video, but don't really know what questions to ask.

I've written a quick post on my blog to try to help them, I'd love feedback. Do you think couples would find this helpful? Did I miss anything important? Do you have a document like this on your site?

How to get the BEST video of your wedding

Thanks in advance,

Marion
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Helping couples know what to look for

I see you spent some time in Maine! I live in southern maine. Were you filming weddings while you were here?
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Marion

That's a neat summary!!

Yes brides really couldn't care less what gear you use and too many videographers boast about their technical equipment and technical skills!! I even have a photographer buddy who takes his Canon still camera to the appointment to show off his "professional gear"

I find that bride's are often more interested in getting help with the wedding, when should I have the speeches, what should I do here and what should I do there...it's their first (and hopefully only wedding) so they really appreciate it if you can tell them what other brides do ...they might go to one wedding a year whilst we are at one almost every weekend so we can offer advice other than video advice and it's really appreciated too!!

Yes, they must like you and you must like them too..you will be working together and it's better to discover a bridezilla before she signs a contract !! There is really nothing that will beat a one on one meeting between the couple and their supplier!!

You are certainly on the right track...on my one page I also have a "hints, tips and pitfalls" page that brides do appreciate!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Many ask the questions they feel obligated to ask after reading them in a magazine or an online wedding forum. For exaample, I've had people ask "do you shoot HD?". I ask them, "do you want HD?" the vast majority either say "no" or "it doesn't really matter". 99.9% of them wouldn't know if I said to them, when they ask, "what type of cameras do you use "I use the Sonysonic Q37". They ask because someone told them to. While having good equipment is important, and of course backup gear, the more important thing is the person using the gear. The most expensive camera around can't frame focus and properly expose the subject matter. There are times however I wish it could. ;-)

I agree. If they like the style they've seen and they like the person they're talking to and of course they can afford it, that's the most important thing. They have to have all three things. If not, it' could be a disater waiting to happen.
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Most of the couples I meet with don't ask questions about gear or HD or Blu-Ray or anything like that. By the time we've spoken, they've seen examples of my work and have decided that they like it and would like "one of those" so the questions are more around seeing an example of the finished product (I show select chapters from various DVDs) pricing, the contract, the way we work, getting a feel for how it would be doing business with me, etc. Overall, much more based on emotion than technical stuff.

Art
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Brides don't ask me about equipment, but I show them my Canon 7D and tell them this is what I use to video. They have a suprrised look on their face and can't believe the videos they've seen are shot with this little camera. They they admit they love the fact that I blend in and don't use a big camera.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques