Clothing selection for dark skinned couple at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Clothing selection for dark skinned couple

Shooting a video at the park with a black couple, bride wants both of them to wear black. She'd wear black dress, him a black shirt.

Would them both wearing black cause any issues, like would they blend together too much?

In addition, I am able to suggest alternate colors for him to contrast with the black dress she wants to wear. Anyone got any general suggestion for him? Maybe a blue collared shirt and black slacks?

I am avoiding white as it plays hell with exposures with the faces of darker skinned folks unless I blow out the shirt, which I don't intend to do. Been there done that, no fun.

Thoughts?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Clothing selection for dark skinned couple

Black clothing for a video shoot on the park wouldn't look very nice on my experienced, I had it once and they look like sorcerers or magicians instead of people in love. Ask them to wear light or neutral colors that will stand out in green backgrounds. Just my opinion.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Neutrals for sure, so you'll be able to expose for the skin tones and not blow out the clothing color. You need a good contrast, as the faces are the most important subjects in the frame and you're right about them possibly getting lost in all the dark color.

You'll probably also do well to use a graduated ND filter to help keep the sky from blowing out too.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've not shot dark skin in black, but I have in white, and it was necessary to blow out the shirt a lot to get the face properly exposed. She's hooked on the dress. I'm going to have to talk with her about it.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Add battery powered LED lights to the package to get some contrast reduction. Or at LEAST a bounce card or two and assistants.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Aqua (turquoise), medium to dark orange or dark khaki. Purple is another but may clash with nature's colors in the park.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Add battery powered LED lights to the package to get some contrast reduction. Or at LEAST a bounce card or two and assistants.
Yes, black is an interesting colour. Reflectors can bring out the skin tones compared to the black cloth.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I suggested to her that she wear her black dress and her husband (they are now married) wear black slacks and dress shoes with a royal blue shirt.

I'm thinking that will be fine, and I'll take along my reflector and all should be well!
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Major Player

It is what it is. I'm sure by this age in their life they've been photographed in dark clothes before. They know what they are in for.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Shooting a video at the park with a black couple, bride wants both of them to wear black. She'd wear black dress, him a black shirt.

Would them both wearing black cause any issues, like would they blend together too much?
What makes images go, still or video, is visual contrast. This is true in B&W and color both, but with color you have more options (hue and saturation along with luminosity). So what you want, is some contrast. Contrast between their clothes and their faces, between each other's clothes, between foreground and background, etc.

Given the problems that video (and still) cameras have with recording texture in black objects (e.g. crushed blacks, noise, etc.), I would encourage them to reconsider. I'd want the same thing for them as I would any person being photographed -- neutral colors, non-busy patterns. The purpose of this is to keep the clothes from drawing the eye away from the faces too much.

But if they insist, that is of course their right. Then what you can do to bring about some contrast is create some cross lighting. Consider putting their backs to the sun (get some hairlighting and light on the edges of the clothes to generate some separation if the background is also dark). Then use your reflector at a 45 degree angle to them, so that you generate some highlights and shadows using the draping of the clothes to show the texture and character of the clothes. And of course the faces -- the reflector becomes your key light creating highlights and shadows on the faces as well.

If you can do that, and avoid bright backgrounds, you should be OK maybe. Just be sure to avoid underexposure of them or the black clothes, but you already know that.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Good basic stuff Bruce. It is the basics that will get me every time. You addressed the issue perfectly: contrast. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques