Hurricane Wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Hurricane Wedding?

I'm scheduled to shoot a wedding on Sunday in NJ. The forecast is for a full force cat 1 or 2 hurricane on that day. The bride has not yet postponed. If she keeps it on, I'm wondering how to approach the shoot and the edit as I think it will certainly be a unique day. If the storm does not have a catasrophic impact (power goes out to the venue) the hurricane could present a fun theme to build on. Anyone else shooting in the hurricane path this weekend? I read of some other couples in the area already canceling.

Art
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hurricane Wedding?

Wow! My guess is that the venue will cancel them even if they don't want to! But, maybe not... Not if the storm is less strong than they think.

Good luck -- yeah, definitely highlight the storm (obviously) and don't put your camera through anything too risky!
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Art,

I was looking forward to shooting a wedding this weekend up in Long Branch... Unfortunately the B&G had to cancel due to the mandatory evacuation.

I do agree that as long as you can stay safe and keep the gear safe, it'll make for some excitement come wedding day. I'm actually a little bummed that I wont get the opportunity.

Best of luck,
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Tim's right, I bet. It will likely be cancelled whether or not she want to, unless you're far enough inland it's no threat. Are talking on the coast? Sounds insane, but as said you'd certainly have a unique video if it goes through.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah - on the one hand I'm looking forward to shooting whatever the day may bring. On the other hand it could really be a bummer of a wedding if only a handful of guests show up. Losing power would kill the music (unless DJ has a generator) and that could really kill the day.

Art
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I shooting tomorrow night, supposed to be just on the leading edge during my shoot. I'm nervous, my second shooter is being displaced and now I'm scrambling for a second shooter. I'm in as long as they are in.

Louis
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I just read they are going to have mandatory evacuations for low lying areas of NYC, first time ever. Wow.

Someone seriously needs to start printing "I survived the 2011 NYC hurricane" T shirts, they will make a bundle.
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Major Player

One benefit of thinking that I had a wedding this weekend is having all of my batteries and lights ready for action... Best of luck to all of my fellow Jersey/NYC videog's who will be shooting this weekend.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Someone seriously needs to start printing "I survived the 2011 NYC hurricane" T shirts, they will make a bundle.
Jeff great idea! That gave me another thought - make up "Hurricane Irene t-shirts for the bridal party. mmm. might still have time to do this....

Art
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Maybe make up a honeymoon survival kit as a wedding present. Water, tinned food, blankets, torch, spare batteries, blankets, portable radio, fruit, more blankets etc.

Any stay safe everyone, don't take risks, watch the kids and elderly folk. Keep pets indoors and warm, they can freak out easily and permanently.

Cheers.
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Trustee

If you say "hurricane," most people think of wind. However, the most damaging component is water. Incredible amounts of rain, and a rising storm surge creates a deadly combination. I've lived through 3 hurricanes in my lifetime. Do not be in a low lying area when it hits, you could easily lose your life for nothing!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Major Player

In 2004 three hurricanes came through here where I live. Plus all the other hurricanes I've been through living in Florida now for 56 years. They are nothing to joke about when they come through. There's wind, flooding, and they spawn tornadoes. And the electricity can be out for days and days.

Wedding in a hurricane? No way!!! NO JOKE. STAY SAFE. Plus, you don't want your equipment ruined either. Plus you don't want to be stranded. The wedding should be rescheduled.

Don't you have a clause in your contract for inclement weather and other things beyond your control?

There were blue tarps on roofs around here for years after the three hit whammy from Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne in 2004. When Jeanne came through Lakeland, there were more than a thousand trees downed on just one golf course owned by the City of Lakeland. There were thousands upon thousands of trees down, power lines down, power poles down, billboards down, roofs ripped off, the Clinic where I worked back then had five floors of water damage from the roof leaking. And insurance rates in Florida are through the roof still, and it's been years since we've had a hit.

Yeah, we have hurricane parties in Florida. Some are from idiots who don't know about hurricanes. Others are from those of us who do, but are trying to calm our fears.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
That gave me another thought - make up "Hurricane Irene t-shirts for the bridal party. mmm. might still have time to do this...
We had a storm here recently at a festival that toke 5 lives and many injured, both my daughters where there and thank God they came out alright. Nobody knew the storm, that only lasted 30 minutes, was going to be so severe. If I knew a hurricane would be passing over, where you know in advance that it can take lives, and if I was doing a gig there, I would not be thinking about printed tshirts.
I honestly can't believe the bride is still thinking about putting all her guests at risk if you know a killer storm will hit that area.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

This morning a group of us are sitting on go waiting to see if the wedding we are scheduled to shoot tomorrow in NYC is going to be rescheduled. My gut feeling is that we will not be driving to NYC today to get ready.

Luckily here in central NC we got a bit of wind and rain. Still waiting to hear from the rest of the family that lives much closer to the coast than I do.

Everyone stay safe.
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Major Player

my wedding last night went well. my second shooter bailed on me and in the rush to get out of there before the eye hit I left my h4n recorder behind. Other than that, it went smoothly and I think It'll make for a great video!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques