DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Highlight Video Advice...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/500105-highlight-video-advice.html)

Travis Wilber August 29th, 2011 05:45 AM

Highlight Video Advice...?

First year doing weddings and one of my first highlight videos that the audio was good enough to use. (Rough video not CC)

I'm not sure about it though. It's definitely not to the point where I'm in love with every clip in the video and each is there for a reason. What do people think? Travis Wilber Video - Vermont Wedding: ROUGH

The B&G also did a performance so I'm also thinking maybe just taking out the ceremony audio and going with the performance: Travis Wilber Video - Vermont Wedding: Rough

If I use their performance I feel like the ceremony audio wouldn't really fit well tho. Just feel stuck trying to tell this story the best way possible. Any thoughts?

Corey Graham August 29th, 2011 06:08 AM

Re: Highlight Video Advice...?

Hi Travis!

What a beautiful wedding. I love Vermont.

You did some nice shooting -- I like your attention to detail. My first impression of the highlights is that I want it to slow down. I think there are too many clips that are too quick, and the pacing of the editing seems to conflict with the music. I'm not saying to make the whole thing longer overall, I'm thinking that you just eliminate many of the clips -- probably the shakier ones -- and try to extend some of the nicer ones.

One of the hardest things I've found about editing a wedding is to be able to hold the moment, without it feeling deliberate or sluggish. I often have to do many passes through an edit, just to be able to get a better feel of flow and pacing.

Overall, it's beautiful -- nice job. Just needs a little polish :)

Travis Wilber August 30th, 2011 09:20 AM

Thanks Corey.

I took down the rough clips, but for anyone interested here in the finish product: Travis Wilber Video - Ethan + Hana: A Vermont Wedding

Tim Bakland August 30th, 2011 12:09 PM

Nice, Travis. You gotta love that Otter Creek beer, huh? (Noticed it a minute or so in and I remember trying it several times up there in VT.)

Anyway: yes, nice work. My one audio suggestion (since you asked about audio) is that for the second speaker (male voice, toast?), that one thing to improve that kind of low/male voice sound is to use a 3-band equalizer filter, lower the "low gain" and adjust the "low frequency" to best sound. Then, you can raise the overall gain afterwards and your left with a less bass-y/muffled sound.

Art Varga August 30th, 2011 04:41 PM

Travis- I think you did a great job telling the story wih this format. A couple of observations. The opening footage was great but I thought maybe just went on little too long before the audio kicked in. Loved the dancing scenes and while some of the them were a little shakey, I think they still looked great and the movement added some energy to the shots. With that said I noticed a very sharp contrast between the ultra smooth slider shots and the rest of the clips. Overall you did a very nice job on this! Loved the detail shot of the cracked paint on the window - awesome!

Art

Travis Wilber September 1st, 2011 02:51 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I'll try that out Tim. Don't have too much experience with audio in FCP so really need to learn that more.

Art, yea I agree the intro is a little too long. Thats more just separating the shooter and the editor. It always is disappointing getting rid of shots that took you a while to set up and comes out good. But that's how it goes. Might work just starting the audio after 10 seconds and not really doing a 'montage' intro.