Most Original Wedding Details... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Most Original Wedding Details...

This past summer was at a wedding where the organist failed to show up. The whole church was unaware so as they started to walk down the isle in silence the congreation started to hum "Here Comes The Bride"
I remember thinking how at some weddings this would have been a major disaster, shrouding the rest of the day. This family took it in stride and didn't let it bother them at all. Kudos to them..
Jay Knobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #17
Trustee

I recall a best mans speech that rocked the house - he said that the father of the bride was happy with his daughter's choice as there had been some unsavory types before that and he believed there was a couple of front door keys still missing - he said now would be a good time to pass those back and gradually just about every man at the reception bought a key up to the main table - the last one was the grooms grandfather!
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

I must definately tell my couples that one!!! They often ask for something to break the ice and that would certainly do it!! The usual is the best man says " My speech tonight is going to be about the same length of time as it takes for the groom to make love......Goodnight!!"

It's tough being a groom I guess!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #19
Inner Circle

That reminded me of when my daughter got married (15 years ago). My S-in-L best man did the same thing. All the guys came up with their keys and even some of the wait staff and cooks did also. I knew everyone there since it was a place I had done a number of weddings at before so they thought it was great and joined the fun.
My wife also just remined me that at our daughters wedding when the S-in-L went to do the garter removal, he had placed a small box of things under the chair my daughter was sitting in and since they had chair covers you couldn't see the box. First he pulled out a rubber fish, then an old license plate, then a giant pair of underwear. I mean H U G H! There were a few other little things that he pulled out before he got the garter. It was good for a big laugh.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Great stuff! Love thispost.

Recently I filmed my Nieces wedding as a gift. Right at the instant the minister asked for the rings…. My 6 month old grand nephew who was being held by my sister tugged the ribbon holding the rings…. They hit the concrete and the grooms ring rolls into the nearby swimming pool! One guy tries to reach his hand into the pool to get the ring with no luck…. enter my burly Harley riding brother-in-law, with a voice like Darth Vader. he says, "For cryin' out loud" and enters the pool, boots and all to get the ring! Everyone including the bride and groom were rolling with laughter…and as Don Bloom says, "I got the shot!"
Don Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Shot a wedding yesterday where the bride after saying her vows said, "everything is better as a song!" then she pulled out a Ukelele and proceeded to sing a sweet song to the groom, it was so nice to see something original during the ceremony.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #22
Major Player

funniest wedding- civil service in the grounds of a castle 30mins north of madrid. lovely sunny day, guests all milling about. 7pm, scheduled start, no sign of the groom. 7.30pm, still no sign but no one is worried. 8pm still no sign of him and folk are wondering what is going on. 8.25pm the groom's sister confides to me and the photographer that the groom had forgotten the rings at home. he'd got to the castle's gates before realising and having to turn back. problem, he lives 30mins to the south of madrid, an hour away. sometime before 9 he turns up looking very sheepish and heads straight up to await his bride in a kind of bandstand where the ceremony is being held. the guests are all laughing saying he's gonna get it from the bride. the bride turns up 3 mins later. she's spitting feathers. absolutely raging, cursing under her breath. she storms up the aisle, her eyes burn with rage, she curses the groom on seeing him but the ceremony starts. everyone is doing their best not to laugh but it's monty pythonesque, and bodies are shaking trying to suppress laughter . i'm 2 metres away from the couple listening to the bride swearing in my headphones, trying my hardest to concentrate and not shake from laughter. the vows are said, she almost says no but they get to the rings... he slips a ring onto her finger.....everything stops for a second as she looks on in disgust. it's not even the real ring! it turns out he couldn't find it! she immediately rips it off and flings it to her dad. she's about to burst with anger. people are doing their best not to crack up laughing it's so over the top.
anyway, they get through the ceremony and before they leave the bandstand the groom grabs the mic and says
"i'm really sorry. i really, really f**ked up!" . cue roars of laughter and the bride finally breaking out her rage to see the funny side. they ended up having a really fun wedding with running jokes through the whole night.
hard work keeping a straight face though.

i'm not sure if forgetting the rings can be classified as original but it made for a different wedding!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #23
Major Player

Wow andrew that's rough! Grooms forget things it seems. I had a situation not nearly as bad as that but the groom forgot the marriage certificate about an hour away. Back then I played in a string quartet for weddings and we had to repeat our repertoire 3 or 4 times before they got there AND I had to be another place after this wedding and obviously we were running late so I had to sneak out after the processional. I've been to a few weddings that've gone as planned and kept to schedule and I love it!
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Inner Circle

The Chicken or the Beef.

As usual that's the menu, or it was when I had to step in and shoot the wedding of a friends son last year.

Just after the main course was served to the wedding party at the bridal table, I explained to them what I wanted, then using a handheld HV20 with a Canon wide angle lens, I went along the front of the table and each of the 3 bridesmaids looking direct to camera said their name and what they were having .. the chicken (or the beef) Then going to the other end I did the same with the 3 groomsmen again working into the centre .. then lastly the bride and groom seated at the centre of the table.

What happened was, each knew what was coming, one of the bridesmaids gave such a humorous reply, the next girl laughed so much she could hardly get hers out, she did eventually. One of the groomsmen was almost under the table (stoned) his buddy looked his plate over and said 'George is having the beef'' George looked up and said with a sheepish grin .. 'ah yes so I am'

The bridegroom took it in his stride and started by saying in a 2 shot, 'this is our first meal together as a married couple and I'm having the Beef ', then introduced his pretty bride to the viewers .. she blushed, batted her big eyeslashes at the camera and said coyly, 'the Chicken'

To add to the effect, just as the waiters started serving their table, I opened this sequence with a table wide shot and the graphic THE CHICKEN or THE BEEF at the bottom of the screen, then supered the name of their dish under each person just as they said it. I first did this because one girl was a bit too quiet in the general hubub, but it worked well and I changed the font for the guys.

At the video premiere after the honeymoon, I thought the brides (society) mother was going to have a complete seizure, but the brides father roared laughing and later, said it was a real highlight. A year later it's as fresh as the day I shot it, and brings a big smile to whoever watches it .. comments are, it's great because you never hear from all the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Feel free to use it :) but don't ask anyone beforehand, just do it as I did in case the parents say no. And make sure you shoot covering stuff in case the sequence goes south for whatever reason, and you don't use it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 21st, 2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: grammar again.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Had this last year... funny best man speech in a song. I posted it in another thread earlier, worth a look again :-)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...eech-song.html
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #26
New Boot

I've had a skydiving groom and groomsmen, swoop down to a field where the bride and guests were waiting.

And at another wedding, being from Vancouver, the groom was a BIG Canucks fan. So the bride surprised her new hubby by bringing the Canucks' national anthem singer Mark Donnelly to perform at their reception. Everyone LOVED it!
Megan Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Knobbe View Post
This past summer was at a wedding where the organist failed to show up. The whole church was unaware so as they started to walk down the isle in silence the congreation started to hum "Here Comes The Bride"
I remember thinking how at some weddings this would have been a major disaster, shrouding the rest of the day. This family took it in stride and didn't let it bother them at all. Kudos to them..
I once had a ceremony were the tape of the wedding march was busted (very old church with very old equipment) during the walk down the isle and the bride couldn't stop crying, not because of the emotion, but of the music mishap. Neither to say, she got a nice surprise and was very happy when she saw her video marching down the isle with the music on the background.
Eliezer Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #28
Inner Circle

That's why brides like us!!!

My wedding 2 weeks ago had the grandfather come down the aisle before the bridal party and the poor man could hardly walk ....the bridesmaids made it to the front of the LONG aisle but the bride was only half way down when the wedding singer finished her song...(surely she could have added one more verse and chorus???) In post I simply split the audio and shortened the walk so the song finished in the correct place!!

If the bride is using a CD it's actually a good idea to grab a copy of the song as I have also had many cd players stop or stutter or die completely during bridal entrance....dubbing over the original makes the bride happy!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques