DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Filming permission from guests? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/500571-filming-permission-guests.html)

Peter Rush September 11th, 2011 08:51 AM

Filming permission from guests?

OK so I was filming a wedding yesterday and, not having had cnace to go to the rehearsal was talking to the vicar for the first time and he told me about the BBC who filmed at service his church last month and they got every member of the congregation to sign a form saying they consented to be filmed.

You can imagine my horror when he suggested I do the same - not only do I work alone and wouldn't have the time to do this but can you pictue trying to edit, with a list of people who did not want to be included - matching faces to names!!!! how difficult and time consuming would that edit be!

I stressed that the wedding DVD was not for broadcast purposes, but he still wasn't over happy so he arranged for the groomsmen who were handing out the order of service, to mention to the guests that the ceremony was being filmed and give them an opportunity to say they wished not to be included.

I'm pretty sure the groomsmen forgot to do this but it nearly gave me a heart attack

Anyone come across this before? I'm trying to work out a strategy in case I come across it again

Pete

David Schuurman September 11th, 2011 09:22 AM

Re: Filming permission from guests?

if that were an issue you can just put a notice on the church door saying this event is being filmed if you have a problem get out or say somthing.

Noone will say anything.

Chris Harding September 11th, 2011 09:30 AM

Hi Peter

The C of E seems to getting more and more strict with rules and regulations at Churches. The only Anglian Church that I film at prohibits ANY video or photos apart from the official ones..we are delegated to specific positions and generally go thru all sorts of hoops but I've never had to get permission slips..that would indeed be a nightmare!! If you look back on posts by George KIlroy here you will see even more horror stories going right up to copyright issues for the organ music to not being allowed to film inside the Church at all!!!!

Especially in the UK it seems they are almost forcing brides to have civil weddings. It might be a good idea over there to have a clause in your contract clearing you of any liability should the vicar start to make things difficult. I know videographers are getting to the stage already where they are very reluctant to accept wedding in Anglican Churches.... hopefully George can fill you in futher with first hand experience!!

This will give you an idea of some of the hoops needed to jump thru in the UK and theres a lot more here!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...g-filming.html

Chris

Michael Simons September 11th, 2011 12:00 PM

Peter, you should have it in your contract that the bride signs so she is responsible. She is hiring you.

Colin McDonald September 11th, 2011 12:25 PM

Have been on the customer side recently (arranging for my daughter's wedding to be professionally filmed) I would have been quite prepared to remind anyone who didn't want to be part of the proceedings that they were there at our invitation, and they were free to leave if they were not happy to fully join in the celebrations.

I did however take the precaution of making sure of the policies regarding filming and photography in the church and reception venue, and it was discussed with the celebrant.

Dave Blackhurst September 11th, 2011 12:35 PM

My only thought is that sometimes "little people" get "big ideas"...

Sounds like a starstruck vicar if you ask me... but these stories out of the UK are really loopy if you ask me - what exactly are they putting in the water "over there"?

Memo for Euro tour - drink only fermented beverages... the water may not be safe... <wink>

Don Bloom September 11th, 2011 09:47 PM

I've never heard of using release forms for a private event to be shown in the privacy of ones home. (generally speaking). It sounds to me like he let the BBC go to his head.
I did a wedding this year which had in excess of 300 guests at the church> I can just picture me running around getting them all to sign a release. In your dreams!

Chris Harding September 12th, 2011 07:05 PM

I assisted Shaun on a commercial shoot in Perth in August and I noticed that they had a sign outside the venue (it was a public library) that filming and photography was in progress. However (this was a public forum for Climate Change issues) anyone in the audience who stood up to ask the panel a question was required to sign a release!!
This video was going on a government website so I guess it could be classed as "broadcast" so the releases are necessary!!

I also put samples onto YouTube for my brides which also makes my footage "broadcast" too and it is visible to everyone!! In this case the private viewing scenario doesn't really apply and I'm pretty sure that most, if not all wedding videographers have on-line samples!!

Seriously, I have never been asked about permissions by guests or officials and SURELY you know you are going to be filmed or photographed at a wedding???????

Chris

Noel Lising September 14th, 2011 02:29 PM

This is unheard off but then again it was mentioned sometime ago that some churches in the UK charge for copyright fees of some sort if you are recording the choir or something.

I also shoot conferences (photo/video). They usually have a sign in the entrance that says " you will be photographed or video taped during the conference. Let the photog/video know if you do not want to."

Danny O'Neill September 15th, 2011 03:03 AM

The BBC would have done it because they are policy mad. Also, everyone would have just been a member of the public whilst a wedding is generally a closed event (although people are usually free to enter the church if they so wish).

Also, the BBC disclaimer would be more than "Can we film you" it would have had them sign over any rights to them and say that the BBC have the right to re-sell the footage, make a profit etc etc. Its like when you upload to YouTube you have already accepted their agreement.

The problem is that this church no doubts see the BBC do it and then thinks everyone should. You then have the issue that if the BBC had anyone refuse to sign it they would be asked to leave so as not to get in the shot. What if you have a guest refuse to sign it, are you expected to avoid them all day, its hard to avoid getting people in the background of a shot and you cant ask them to leave the set as it were.

Jeff Harper September 15th, 2011 08:34 AM

Danny, I'm sure you hit upon what happened here. The Vicar saw the BBC do it, and then he expected everyone else should do it. The BBC did it for themselves, and the idea of consent to be filmed documents has nothing to do with the church, unless there is something we're missing here.

Danny O'Neill September 17th, 2011 03:53 AM

The BBC do it because, no doubt, in the past someone was filmed, the footage was used for something which then generated a lot of money for someone and they wanted a slice. So now they make you sign a doc that says you dont get a bean. Most people are smart enough to get out of the way if they dont want to be filmed.

Brian Drysdale September 17th, 2011 05:07 AM

It's pretty standard for people to sign release forms on any broadcast programmes these days, the only time it's not done is on news and current affairs. Some productions go a bit heavier than others regarding crowds and signing release forms, but it's not unusual to put up an sign saying that the event is being filmed and if anyone has got any objections to being filmed they're to let the production team know. Many other productions don't bother, they just don't feature individuals or their faces in the crowd shots, just wider shots.

It may also depend on the nature of the production, "Songs of Praise" is more likely to require everyone to sign a release form than say a documentary in which the church is only featured in a couple of sequences.

It's something that seems to coming up in stills photography as well, so if people will possibly sue for the use of their face, they need a release signed. The forms only exist because experience has shown that you don't want any legal consequences (and costs) down the line. Unfortunately people do tend to sue more these days.

Michael Johnston September 22nd, 2011 02:15 PM

You don't need to get signatures. Weddings are an invitation only event and film and photography are expected. If it's not for broadcast or commercial use, you don't need their permission. Guests are free to leave if they want. My contract with brides clearly states they are responsible if anyone objects to being filmed and I advise them at the consultation to state on the invitation that the event WILL be filmed and photographed. Therefore, by accepting the invitation and showing up, they give permission to be filmed. If the bride/groom fail to add that notice, it's on them if people complain.

Jeff Harper September 22nd, 2011 11:06 PM

Michael, you made the best point yet. Weddings certainly are private, invitation only events, and any reasonable person would expect photos and video to be occurring.