Help me decide on a logo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Help me decide on a logo

Attached to this post is a link to some logo ideas for my business. I'd love your feedback.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q.../finalfive.jpg
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Help me decide on a logo

I like #2 the best.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't like the last 3.

It's between 1 and 2. I think I prefer #1 because it looks a little more "refined". Not sure I like the freehand script of #2.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Trustee

#1 because it's a graphic logo vs styled text. You could even move your name underneath the green box if you wanted to. Uber-classy IMHO.

#2 looks gimmicky with the clipart.

#3-5 are boring in comparison.

No offense to the designer, just giving honest feedback. Good luck!
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Bill

I think I would go for #2 as well...the film strips also help send out the "wedding film" message and it's nice and uncluttered!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

#1 looks very classy

but I also like the simple look of #2.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm a graphic designer, so I'll have opinions on them all ;) Consequently, I'm probably going to give advice that is way too detailed and picky. I can't help it :)

Just to give you a frame of reference -- I'm all about subtlety. I really can't stand excessive flashiness/cheesiness that is a plague. I like elegance, understatement, and tasteful expression.

That being said . . .

#1 is good, but I would use a different font for the text and move it somewhere else. I'd also make the gradient on the graphic part much more subtle.

#2 would work without the film clip art, and if "wedding films" were smaller, moved to the left, and kerned out.

#3, 4 and 5 - I think "wedding films" is much too large. It competes with the name, size-wise. The handwritten look is good, it feels personal and like you're a craftsman, not a company.

#5 - I might like this one best. If "wedding films" were smaller and the line spacing reduced, that just might do it. This one has the most subtlety, and communicates the most to me.

Keep in mind that the logo is merely one piece in the big branding puzzle . . . the look of the logo is definitely important, but more important than that is how it is used, and how everything else is designed around it -- your web site, stationery, promotional material, etc.

Sorry I geeked out on this.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Corey,
Regarding #1, what would you suggest as a different font, and where would you recommend placing the text? Thanks!

PS: I tried another version, using the 'handwritten' font for my name, and I quite like it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Trustee

I might be going against the grain here but my favorite is #3.

Although, #1 is the most flexible - it allows you to seperate the logo from the title and have just one or the other as required - for example, you could just use the green box part as your profile picture on Facebook & Twitter, or on the spine of a DVD case, etc. In other places you can have the full logo with the name included. Or you could just have the "b.e." without the box around it.

One thing to keep in mind with your logo is what it will look like in black and white. Make sure you have a good look at how each of these will appear in monotone as a good logo will keep enough contrast to still have the same impact in black and white.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
Corey,
Regarding #1, what would you suggest as a different font, and where would you recommend placing the text? Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Aviano Sans -- it's very elegant. I threw together something quick so you could see what I'm thinking . . .
Attached Images

Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Very nice! Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

No.2 but change the logo image to something a bit more refined. the film strips look a bit like clip art.

Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I'm a big fan of Aviano Sans -- it's very elegant. I threw together something quick so you could see what I'm thinking . . .
I think this logo is definitely on the right track.. I might suggest that you bring the gradient down a little bit more as its still a bit distracting.. I was going to say also loose the texture but in the new version (this version) its growing on me a bit.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I think this looks better now, so I go with this one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques