DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Photographer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/500614-photographer.html)

Tariq Peter September 12th, 2011 07:41 PM

Photographer

What would a fair percentage be for a wedding photographer?
I am thinking of going into business with a friend he does the photography I do the videography / post production and DVD authoring. We are not offering albums just pictures so apart from taking snaps on the day he has nothing else to do. I don't want to pay buy the hour as sometimes I offer different rates to different people depending on the circumstances. In my eyes it was something along the lines of 70/30.

Keith Betters September 12th, 2011 08:23 PM

Re: Photographer

Let me ask a couple of questions.

1. Will you guys be sharing duties or will you guys be strickly seperate on the wedding day?
2. Also, will he be using his own equipment?
3. Are you guys going in as one company with one contract or two seperate entities?

Here's the thing, I would not do a split. If you guys go in as one company I would have a flat rate for his service depending on the package. For example if you sell a $2000 package, you can pay him like $800 or whatever you guys agree too.

But keep in mind that, if you go into as one contract, his problems become your problems and vice versa. So if he has a card full of pics go corrupt then thats as much of your problem as his. I work with a couple different photogs, and even book for them too. But I do not go in as one contract. I show them pics, l show them the contract if they book, I hand them the photogs number and thats that.

Chris Harding September 12th, 2011 10:05 PM

Hi Tariq

I basically pay my photogs $100 an hour for DVD only... If the bride wants them for 5 hours it's an extra $500 on my package....it works well and they appreciate the extra work. I personally wouldnt give them any cut of the video at all....you do your job and I'll do mine!!!

Chris

Tariq Peter September 13th, 2011 02:13 AM

Hi, I did try that but imagine we have a shoot which is 8 hours I charge £800 and he charges £500 for one day, now asain weddings go over 2-3 days and its extremely competitive market. They always have a rough budget of around 1.5k for everything and 9 times out of 10 they can get both vdeography and.photography for that price. If it went over 3 days they might say 1.7k and again they will always.find.a.compay willing to.do.it. I tried it myself for my sisters wedding, they.say.whats your.budget and they usually agree.to it because times are.so hard they just want the.business. If I.come out.and.say for 3 days its over 3k i.simply would not get the work.

Jeff Harper September 13th, 2011 03:05 AM

You are doing separate jobs, a percentage makes no sense to me either.