HD Delivery Question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: HD Delivery Question

Here is where I get mine from

Presentation Flash Drive / Cases

a 16gb 'fancy wedding usb' is about twice the price of a generic usb drive, but it does look good.

Not sure if they ship those items outside the UK, but worth asking if that's what you're after.

Only a few couples per year buy their wedding film on 'HD USB', but for those that do, these little drives certainly look the part over a generic one.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks James

A little extra on the cost is a small price to pay to make the drive look "authentic" ... Using a standard USB could quite easily result in someone accidentally overwriting the files if it looks like their normal USB sticks....the simple fact that it has "Our Wedding" on it would solve the problem!!

On my next "Special Offer" I might offer "free" HD files on a USB rather than a discount!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Major Player

That's exactly what I've been doing at the recent wedding shows here, trying to get the awareness of the 'HD digital copy on USB' increased.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, here in PR there is a lack of interest in HD or Bluray. I have all my packages available in these formats but only one person interested (only interested) in the last three years. Some collegues nearby offer one blueray and two dvd's and has told me that many couples have problems because they try to see the bluray on a dvd player. Maybe the USB drive can work.
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Well - I've had a lot of customers ask for HD but when I explain about blu-ray they change their mind - it seems most people (amazingly) think that HD Video is just a better quality DVD they can play on their existing player!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
Major Player

I have decided that Bluray only is going to be my only wedding format. I am tired of editing in High Definition and then down-converting to lousy DVD quality. With the price of Bluray players dropping I would sooner include the player in the price.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Greg

My issue is that I supply the bride 3 x DVD sets ...essentially one for each set of parents and one for the bride and groom. You still have the issue that the parents will probably not have a BD player and then a lot of my brides request copies for grandparents..who will definately not have a BD player....dunno about you but I cannot afford to supply a player with each copy of the wedding...players here are still over the $100 mark and more. I have a far better chance of the recipients of disks having a computer/ipad or media player!!

Media Players here with a supplied USB stick are a lot cheaper option for me still if I have to "give away" a player with HD footage!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #23
New Boot

Guys,

Is it possible to have a menu and to have chapters or even chapter markers on a flash drive?
Or is it only possible to have each chapter as a seperate file or 1 big file, and maybe 1 file for highlights?

Ronan
Ronan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #24
Major Player

I offer Blu-Ray in my bigger packages, but typically if some one orders the lower packages I will provide a Blu-ray on top of their DVDs. It's just an added bonus that helps them remember you in a positive light. It doesn't take much more time, mostly just encoding, as I'm already using Adobe Encore to create the DVDs.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I still deliver DVDs. Then $300 add on for both DVD and Bluray. Recently, I added another option to deliver Online DVD and USB thumbdrive for $300. This could be free in order to lure potential clients to sign me up right away. :)

Someday it'll be all digital. But for now, it is still much easier for the B&G to hand their parents or granny a DVD.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Someday it'll be all digital. But for now, it is still much easier for the B&G to hand their parents or granny a DVD.
I think the first D in DVD stands for digital.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I mean digital delivery
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM   #28
Regular Crew

1) Keep in mind: Flash drives are subject to ELECTRON MIGRATION!!!!!!!!!!! which will eventually lead to data loss even if kept in storage unused!!!!!!!!!!
SSD ( Solid State Drive) Endurance Test ?

Expect a maximum 10 year storage lifespan prior to your videos going bye-bye on flash drives!

Flash drives are EASILY ERASED by mistake, virus, trojan, kids, etc!!!

2) Bluray discs are the only format short of WORM/DVD-RAM that'll last long as a disc format in storage (Tapes can be stored decades).

For Business Users | BD-R/RE Discs | Blu-ray by Panasonic | Panasonic Global
These are the only 50+ year BluRay discs in existence.
50-100 year archival lifespan on these Panasonic BluRay discs. Don't bother using anything else.

This is due to their INORGANIC (THINK METAL) recording layer which is not subject to falling apart as quickly as the ORGANIC (THINK FAT) recording material in DVDs and BluRay LTH discs (Low to high discs only! Not the normal Bluray discs).

DVD-R/+R lifespans aren't much more than a decade (10 years) and far less if exposed to light & humidity over time.

3) IS THIS AN IMPORTANT VIDEO THAT MUST LAST?

Pioneer BDR-207JBK 各種BD-Rエラーチェック(その他のBD-R/RE)
Are you using a media that has low error rates?

If you're not using a MADE IN JAPAN disc like the Pansonics, you are a fool. Years later, Made in China/etc discs will degrade faster, thus leading to angry clients. Giving them a flash drive (which is eraseable) is also foolish without an optical backup.

It won't cost more than $10 to tell them you're giving them an archived copy on the world's most long-life BluRay disc, so if anything happens in the future, you really can't be held liable for not using the world's best.

4) A BLURAY player costs $50 at Walmart - doesn't take much to add that to the client's BluRay 'package' should they want true HD quality.

5) If you give them a flash drive, what are they watching the 1920x1080 video on??
If they have an external media player (eg. like the mediaplayerusa.com mp4 player box, WD WinTV, etc), you don't need to do anything except drop the DVD/BluRay folder directly onto the flash drive and give that to them. Most modern media players can playback 100% copied DVD/Bluray folders w/o a problem from the master disc.

If they're playing it on the computer, you can do the same. No need to convert at all since VLC, WinDVD, etc. can handle playback of DVD/Bluray folders fine.

---

What is the best?
1) Shoot and master to BluRay. This is their 1920x1080 copy and the 'best'.

On archival Panasonics, naturally.

You can easily copy this to flash drive for them to play back on an external media player or PC.
BUT you don't NEED TO! Simply tell them, they can copy the folder to any flash drive or PC should they want a copy there! They can use VLC, WinDVD, etc. to play it back anytime and make as many copies as they'd like.

2) Create a DVD master.
This is a 2nd copy you give them that can play everywhere by anyone - even grandma. Nothing else out there is as 'universal' and likely to be hooked up to a TV. This is the only format that'll play from PC to TV today without much hassle or setup. Really can't avoid.

--

Now, you've given them
a) an archival BluRay copy on one of the longest lasting medium available (so they can't come back later and sue you for not using the longest lasting/best; nor cry in a decade when the disc has died naturally - yes, DVDs do rot and fail much faster)
b) Something 1080 geeks and technically savvy types can use on their media player, PCs and convert to tablets/phones themselves; and something anyone from a 5 year old to grandma can playback on any TV with a DVD player.

---

Even if you don't master to BluRay with all the fancy titles, graphics, etc., you should be giving them the final edit on BluRay so they have a 1080 master somewhere (if not all raw videos if that's in their contract) FOR ARCHIVAL STORAGE!!

(Blurays last longer in storage than DVDs! Blurays last longer in storage than DVDs! Blurays last longer in storage than DVDs!)

Doesn't cost you more than $10 to burn a BluRay (even if it's on regular Panasonic BluRay Made in Japan, it's got a 20+ year lifespan rating) so the client has an archival copy.
David Chien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Major Player

More and more blu-ray requests my way. I always include one copy for the bride and groom even if they don't ask (just so they have incentive to find themselves a player and watch the best quality version).

But I've had more than one couple now ask for blu-ray only (including the family copies) which I love!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM   #30
Major Player

Last October I stated on this group that I was making Bluray Only for Weddings. I do not do the volume that other videographers do and so it has worked for me. I would sooner give the Bride and Groom a Bluray Player, which are quite cheap, than make a low quality DVD of their wedding. Glad to hear your news Tim.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques