DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   HD Delivery Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/501150-hd-delivery-question.html)

Mark Hendren September 29th, 2011 10:51 AM

HD Delivery Question

I know a lot has been discussed about HD delivery, but I have a specific question. Are people delivering files on a flash drive rather than a BluRay? I am contemplating it, but want to see if it is even a viable option.

Thanks!

Mark

Chris Harding September 29th, 2011 06:38 PM

Re: HD Delivery Question

Hi Mark

BluRay is a scarce word around here and very few brides even know about the player let alone own one!!

Some videographers here offer BD but I don't as I feel that they would never use them!! I prefer the USB route as it's probably easier to just drop the video onto a drive and present that as an "extra" to the bride.

However it's all a question of supply and demand....if brides are more likely to use the USB files more then that's the way to go!! I would way, here, many, many brides own a laptop (or two!!!) or an Ipad but very few have a BD player at home....I go the USB route simply because it's a more "useable" product!!

Chris

Chris Medico September 29th, 2011 07:41 PM

Not to mention you can buy USB sticks customized with your company name or logo.

She won't even have to tell them who did her wedding. ;)

Jawad Mir September 30th, 2011 07:37 AM

It's interesting how there is a nice mix of people in the world in terms of knowledge and taste.

Although there are many areas where B/G are not educated but if there is one thing they know is High Definition. Blu Ray being one of them. But at the end of the day, we are in digital age. All these optical media will become like cassette tapes/vhs sooner than later.

Peter Rush September 30th, 2011 09:00 AM

Hi - interested to know which file format you guys are using that plays back from a USB drive and what codec

Pete

Chris Medico September 30th, 2011 11:27 AM

I use a H.264 codec in a MOV wrapper. That seems to be one of the most compatible combinations these days.

Corey Graham September 30th, 2011 01:59 PM

When people want a file, I usually give them H.264 as an MP4. No problems with that yet.

Tim Bakland October 1st, 2011 04:51 PM

This topic was raised by Katie Feasel in another post and has lots of responses.

I seem to be one of the outliers, but, in my market (Boston) there are LOTS of blu-ray orders. I average to blu-ray copies per couple these days - which is great, because it is definitely the best way I can present the footage. I even had one couple ONLY order blu-ray copies of their wedding (but that was a first). In the last year, I've had a total of 1 or 2 couples who did NOT want at least one blu-ray copy.

Megan Coates October 2nd, 2011 12:52 PM

I never even thought about offering an option for HD video on a flash drive. It's brilliant! Thanks!

Michael Johnston October 2nd, 2011 03:46 PM

I deliver HD on Blu-Ray and give them a free Blu-Ray player when the purchase the HD upgrade. I also offer a "Digital Copy" as an optional add on. I took the idea from Blu-Ray movies that come with digital copies for your laptop or mobile media device. If the purchase the add on, the Blu-Ray case will cobtain two discs. One is the Blu-Ray video and the other is a data DVD with the digital HD file, usually compressed .mp4

HD upgrade from SD is $300 and the "Digital Copy" is $100. It's been a big hit.

Allan Black October 2nd, 2011 05:55 PM

The quality and amount of competition in the local district can dictate the extras offered.

It's always good to have new options and extras in reserve in case.

A crowd I know of offer 3 types of product depending on the budget. But they tell me they usually end upgiving them the full version, even though there's no repeat business .. it's word of mouth.

There's no love lost in the wedding business.

Cheers.

James Strange October 3rd, 2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Graham (Post 1685674)
When people want a file, I usually give them H.264 as an MP4. No problems with that yet.

+1

Works on xbox, ps3 (has blu ray anyway though), apple tv, wdtv, blu-ray players with usb playback, tvs with usb playback, iPad / iPhone (using a different video app than the built in one) etc

I encode either a 720p file at 5Mbps, or a 1080p file at 12Mbps, split it into 2 if its over 4gb (as some players wont read files over 4gb due the file structure - Fat32 vs NTFS)

It's also the same file I upload to vimeo, sort of a one size fits all for me.

Chris Bryan October 3rd, 2011 02:15 PM

That's really interesting, thanks for the info on how you encode the file. I might look into this. Where are people buying usb sticks with your company logo on them?

Chris Davis October 4th, 2011 10:54 AM

We don't shoot weddings, but we do plenty of business event video, all in HD. I still have at least 10 Blu-ray blank disks left from the first 15-pack I bought more than two years ago. Only one client has specifically requested Blu-ray, all others want it delivered digitally (whether that's on a flash drive or download) and some just want it downscaled to DVD.

I'm sure plenty of my clients have BD players at home, but in the board rooms and meeting rooms, DVD still rules.

Chris Harding October 4th, 2011 06:28 PM

Hi Guys

Getting 8GB USB sticks over here is no problem but to get them printed is an issue as the minimum order is 50 units so you tend to tie up funds having to get 50 sticks all in one batch.

Does anyone know if you can get "generic" drives that are, for example, pre-printed with something like "Our Wedding" ....just a white USB cover and black letters would be fine and less costly that having to buy lots of 50!!

Chris