Is your all day package include the whole photo session? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Is your all day package include the whole photo session?

don't do photo shoots at all anymore - I explain to the bride that we cover the ceremony, congratulations & guests mingling until the bridal party leave for their photo shoot then we head straight to the reception venue and start filming there - that gives us plenty of time to set up and cover all the table decorations, cake, all the little bits & pieces they've chosen for the day. most don't question it but if they ask about the photo shoot I'll tell them if you really want video of you standing still having your photo taken, we can include that as an extra but our time is much better spent covering the venue & guests.

works for me
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

Interesting..I also don't film the photog at work...seems pointless with the shots all posed ..that's why I grab the B&G and head away from the photog and let him/her/them play with the bridal party and it usually takes me less than 15 minutes to do. I then hand the B&G back to the photog and head for the reception!! I even do a photoshoot on my "Mini Package" which is basically ceremony only and I do a quickie stedicam shoot at the Church or venue before the photog takes them away. I actually love doing the mini ones as it's usually just a few hours and you are done!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Major Player

The photo session is thee most important part of my day. This is where I can have the couple do easy but creative stuff that makes my product stand out from the rest. I don't shadow the photographer, I work with him/her. The photo session isn't just for the photographer, not for me anyways. After the photographer has them pose we step in and do our shot with the same pose or similar. If you take charge of this situation 9-10 photographers will have great respect for you and see that you are just as involved with the couple to make a amazing product as they are. I've heard from multiple photographers that they have never seen someone like us work the way we do. They end up asking for my card and I get referrals out of it all the time.

Just mention to the photographer that after they do each pose you would like to setup a quick shot. I have had the couple stand still for 3 minutes so we could get a time lapse shot of them while the photographers stood there and took pictures of the pose. I did feel a bit of unease but the shot was amazing in post production. Worth the 180 seconds! Then sometimes we do unique angles while the photographer is doing there thing too.

The photo session is the most stressful part of my day because I'm trying to do new and creative stuff on the fly with the couple w/o wasting too much time. I found the more that I'm confident in my work and working with the couples that the couple or the photographers are OK with it.

In the end it makes my product very cool and interesting to watch then when new couples come along they tell me they want that kind of stuff in their film too.

If you do just shadow the photographer and follow them around like a puppy you will look like a pud.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I don't bother with the formal family portraits, but I rarely work with photographers who have the bride and groom stand in one place, we are always moving from location to location and I get amazing footage. 30 minutes is plenty of time for me to capture the guests at the cocktail hour and the reception details. Any more time than that and I would be twiddling my thumbs.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques