DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How you maintain a relationship with a former client? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/501402-how-you-maintain-relationship-former-client.html)

Edgar Vasiluk October 8th, 2011 02:25 AM

How you maintain a relationship with a former client?

Hi everyone, just wanted to see how you guys do this? I know Facebook is a great form of doing so, but what else you do? Do you send them postards or....?

Chris Harding October 8th, 2011 05:58 AM

Re: How you maintain a relationship with a former client?

Hi Edgar

Is there a reason behind this ??? Technically a couple only are supposed to get married once!! so that kills any repeat business ideas!! As long as your name and phone number is on your DVD cover, if the bride's friend decides to get married and wants a videographer, she will blow the dust off your DVD and pass your details onto her friend...I have a lot of referrals from brides and I presume this is how they remember who I am and where to find me???

Chris

Eliezer Rodriguez October 8th, 2011 06:15 AM

My grandfather always said to maintain friendship and buisness apart. Even thought you want to help a couple it doesn't mean a true friendship. Facebook is for having a good time not for a buisness that why real buisnesss have their own web site (not a facebook site). Nowadays every buisness wants to be sending everyday news, offers and chats constantly to everyone which is quite disturbuing and more like electronic bullying. But, as Chris said most clients know that when someone needs a wedding video you are there with good quality and a fair price.

Edgar Vasiluk October 8th, 2011 06:16 AM

Yes, I think every 6 month or so, it is important to remind them about your existence...just as Next sending you their big catalogs to your door.
I just want to see how others do this...

John Knight October 8th, 2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar Vasiluk (Post 1687254)
Yes, I think every 6 month or so, it is important to remind them about your existence...

Hi Edgar. If I hired you to video my wedding, then you started sending me postcards every 6 months... I would call the police.

Jawad Mir October 8th, 2011 04:32 PM

I personally think there is a fine line between friendship and business

Our policy is not to do business with friends and family but be friends with our clients. I am not suggesting regular meetings and going out but just to stay in touch makes a big difference. We have made good # of friends with our couples and since we spend so much time with them before the wedding, getting to know them, doing concept films, skype conferencing, it just comes natural.

That has helped get new friends some big projects outside of wedding realm as couples do have jobs. So it helps to be friends with your couple once they are done. And thus far it has paid it's dues

Tim Bakland October 9th, 2011 12:43 AM

I once considered having calendars made (with a still image for each month from the wedding footage) along with my business info in the corner, etc., as a nice parting gift that also reminded the couple to recommend me to friends. It was a nice idea. But then, life happened and I got too busy! Coffee mug would also be a nice thing -- again, cover image of the couple along with your business name. Would be another reminder for them to recommend you to friends. 15-30 bucks each time -- but a nice way to keep up advertising (or, what is it they call it in the ad world -- making the client feel satisfied with a product they already purchased?)

Warren Kawamoto October 9th, 2011 02:36 AM

Under promise, and over deliver for EVERY job you do from now on. Jobs will come flying left and right at you!

Allan Black October 9th, 2011 05:46 AM

Well, 39yrs ago I married her, for the last 38yrs an expensive dinner out and a nice card .. but next year an expensive dinner out when I'll present her with a nice traditional ruby ring .. and a nice card.

Cheers.

Danny O'Neill October 9th, 2011 06:28 AM

Send them an anniversary card each year. That will remind them.

Cristian Adrian Olariu October 10th, 2011 08:30 AM

At first sight it didn't seemed to be a good idea because the former clients may feel annoyed at some point. But this business is a bit different because it involves both parties on a more personal level. That's why you can keep in touch with them easily and they will pleasantly remember you (and re-watch their wedding film on the anniversary day :) ). So I find this to be a very good idea.... thank you for it!
At least an e-mail per year could not do any harm. Unless.. what if meanwhile they had divorced??

Kelly Langerak October 10th, 2011 08:33 AM

One thing you can do is to take 15 or so stills from the video. On their one year anniversary you can send them a calendar with a photo of them for each month. Put your logo at the bottom with each photo and they won't be able to stop thinking of you for an entire year. It's cheap and easy to do, but really if they like your work they won't forget about you,.. EVER!!

A lot of my past clients are on my fan page of facebook so they always see my latest work and sometimes comment on it. That's good enough for me.

Don't send them a post card, just send them a thank you card with the DVD's and you'll be loved!

Corey Graham October 10th, 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu (Post 1687601)
what if meanwhile they had divorced??

Haha, I never thought of this. With astronomical divorce rates, I don't think I'd want to risk an awkward situation by sending them anything.

I tend to maintain relationships with my clients because they recommend me to their friends, and I end up seeing them at their friends' weddings. It's awesome.

Russell Heaton October 10th, 2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1687405)
Well, 39yrs ago I married her, for the last 38yrs an expensive dinner out and a nice card .. but next year an expensive dinner out when I'll present her with a nice traditional ruby ring .. and a nice card.

Cheers.

Allan,

you know you would have gotten a shorter sentence for murder, don't you? ....lol

Cheers

Russ (38 years of servitude for me)

Long Truong October 11th, 2011 09:28 AM

I strongly believe in treating my couples more than just clients so I adopt a very personal approach with them. I feel blessed to have the chance to work with amazing people and I'd be a fool to treat them any differently than my own friends.

It's particularly important in this business because when I cover a wedding, I don't only document an event, I try to tell a story about the couple and who they are as individuals. If you don't know your couple well enough, it's really hard to capture the little details about them that can make their wedding film unique and different.

I think that when you genuinely care for your couples, they feel much more comfortable with you and they would also genuinely want to help you back. It's a win-win situation for everybody. When my couples talk about me, they don't just tell their friends about my work and how professional I was. It's the entire experience that they've enjoyed and because you've become their good friend, they want to help you even more.

The evolution of our society has made people get used to having a very impersonal vendor-client relationship. Clients are used to dealing with corporates and speaking to strangers on the phone to get customer service. In this industry, treating your couples like real people goes a long way.

As to how I maintain relationship with them, I'd add them and their friends on facebook. Visit their profile once in a while, comment on their photos, wall posts, sending them wishes on special occasions, etc. Basically treat them like my own friends because they are.