Mixing DSLR and camcorder footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing DSLR and camcorder footage

Boy, I'm on a roll today! Questions, questions questions.

How do you feel about mixing footage in a wedding video from, for example, a Canon 7D and a Panasonic HM150? Is the difference unavoidably noticeable in the final product? Does it generally require a lot more work in post, such as color correction? Or do you feel a video project should be either all camcorder, or all DSLR ?

(I am planning to buy a Panasonic AC 130, but I didn't site that as an example since nobody has one yet!)
Ben Creighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mixing DSLR and camcorder footage

It depends on the camcorder. HDV footage from a Canon XH-A1 or Sony Z1 is very difficult to match with Canon DSLR but I find more modern cameras like XF100 or XF300 are OK.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Trustee

We do mix Canon DSLR footage with Canon XF100 footage and don't usually have too much problem.

Mixing DSLR with our older Panasonic HMC-151 was a BIG problem. We sold all the 151s and went all DSLR for a while, then reality came back and we realised that DSLRs were not the right tool for all the jobs in hand. Example: Stood at the front looking at the Bride & Groom, you could have one perfectly in focus (take your pick) but not both without going to ridiculously high ISO to stop down further, whereas a smaller sensor camcorder dos this with ease (without all the extra noise). OTOH, DSLR with the 70-200 and an ND filter blows the Camcorder away outside :)

So, if you plan on doing it with the Panasonic 150, good luck, but I do't recommend it. Their interpretations of colour are so different that I can't understand what the engineers were thinking!
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I shoot with four cameras. Of the four the lowest resolution is 720p. So I edit in a 720p environment using FCP7. I convert all imported video to prores422. Works wonderfully.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been wondering the same thing about mixing camcorder footage.

My wife is going to use an HV30 to fill in some of what I miss. She's not fully up ot speed on the DSLR.
Mark Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Major Player

When we were first experimenting with DSLRs we used them with the Panny HMC150. They do not match, but in good light it's not too bad. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and the preferences of your clients.

Here is an example of using HMC150s and a DSLR in a highlight. The Prep and Ceremony was HMC150s while the Reception was a mix of the Canon T2i (before the 60d came out) and the HMC150. Hope this helps to visually see the differences.
Old October 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We mix DSLR and camcorder as well as different brands!! Sounds crazy I know but I like the versatility of the Sony EX1, the shallow DOF of the 5D and the added flexibility over DSLR of the Pani AF101. Here's an example of the 3.

Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Major Player

We shoot with 2 Canon 60Ds, a 5D Mark II and Canon Vixia HG10 all and generally have good results matching all the colours in post...our DSLR colour setting is on neutral which works well with Vixia's highest setting..we just tweek the saturation and sharpness on Vixia footages and they turn out perfect..here's a sample and if you can guess which footage is from the video cam ..you are good !!

Kren
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Major Player

For those curious about a T3i 600D and XF300 mix, here it is (all footage DSLR except toast on XF300):

Old October 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
We shoot with 2 Canon 60Ds, a 5D Mark II and Canon Vixia HG10 all and generally have good results matching all the colours in post...our DSLR colour setting is on neutral which works well with Vixia's highest setting..we just tweek the saturation and sharpness on Vixia footages and they turn out perfect..here's a sample and if you can guess which footage is from the video cam ..you are good !!

Georgi & Deji - Wedding Day Highlight on Vimeo

Kren
Wow, some great examples are being shared and all are great work. It looks like mixing footage works out just fine.
Mark Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #11
Major Player

I've been mixing 7D, EX1 and HMC150 together for most of this season. it works, but for the most part, the 7d almost looks oversharpened in some cases. I find using Color Finesse on the HMC150 gives it the pop to match up with the DSLR. Somedays, I don't feel like lugging the 7D around at all and stick with the video cameras. content is king, although I do enjoy the close focusing of the 7D for details.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I mix the HMC150 with the GH1 and GH2 and it works well. Generally I have to use the 3 way color corrector in final cut pro on the HMC150 footage to get it to match, I crush the blacks and bump up the saturation and then they blend wonderfully!
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

we mix the 5dmk2, 7d, and hmc150 as well. its not perfect to match in post, however we find it very close. the typical audience out there doesnt seem to mind it, although our trained eye does. its just so crucial to having a true video camera in events that are happening so quick. we do however stop using the hmc150 in reception where the lights are very dark.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques