DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   We are done (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/501720-we-done.html)

Joshua Heater October 17th, 2011 07:20 PM

We are done

Australia's First iPhone Wedding - YouTube

Tim Bakland October 17th, 2011 08:03 PM

Re: We are done

I love that what's not mentioned are the thousands of dollars of equipment surrounding the little phone! (i.e. the 2K-plus L Lens).

Chris Harding October 17th, 2011 10:04 PM

Awesome

All you need is your cheap iPhone that you use everyday and then a $15K Canon lenses, shoulder mount rig with follow focus (couple of grand there) a $2K tripod and also your 15K stedicam and you are ready to shoot. IPhone = $450.00 Video Gear = $35K ???... Oops forgot about the PC/Mac and all the software to actually edit the video too!!!! I wonder if the iPhone has a 12 min record limit like the Canon has...it's certainly cheaper than a 5DII

Chris

Eliezer Rodriguez October 18th, 2011 07:05 AM

Ha,ha,ha.... the coordinator states that they can cut the video and photo (20% of the budget) how about the other 80% that is only for that day. So much investment to end without the memories of it is not even worth it. Hey why not buy some Sara Lee poundcakes for the wedding cake and save a couple of bucks. Another idea, serve water instead of beer or sodas and mention on the invitation that everyone has to bring their own food. My point is that somethings can be saved from a budget but, as my photo clients who have forsaken the video say, "Not having professional video was the worst mistake we could have done!"

The quality also will not be that great either. Just because you can push a button that doesn't make u a cameraman and the real work is in the editing room.

Dave Blackhurst October 18th, 2011 10:37 AM

BFD... so you CAN shoot with your iPhone, if you are a slave to the fruitonian empire... it's a device capable of capturng an HD image, whoopee. Dime a dozen nowadays, toss a rock, you'll prolly hit one... Spending a whole bunch to turn it into a "camera" (steadicams, huge lenses, matteboxes, rails... oh please)... ummm... "priceless".

A clever gimmick to get on the news, but other than that, there's so much more that goes into a production, the "imager" is really just about immaterial... give 1000 monkeys (or 100 guests?) iPhones (or any other imaging device), you should be able to get enough footage to edit SOMETHING, right? After you get done poking yourself in the eye with a fork... editing that shouldn't be painful at all!

It's not the tool, it's the craftsman... clearly a few packs of disposable cameras should have displaced the professional photographer long ago... um, er, maybe NOT!

Sure it's possible to collect up all the shots/clips from the guests and see what if anything you got, but doesn't seem like a very good "plan" - hiring a professional who is there to get the footage (or the pictures) and edit it out later instead of imposing on your guests would seem like the wiser "investment".

I'm all for the joys of using relatively inexpensive "tools" where appropriate, but that doesn't replace knowing when where and how to use the tools... steadicams, gliders, etc. optional...

Long Truong October 18th, 2011 11:25 AM

An iPhone sensor sure beats anything else on the market :)

Buba Kastorski October 18th, 2011 11:49 AM

I see it as a pure PR and advertisement, way to go!
BUT, i am really sorry for the clients, unless it was free or better yet they got paid for letting someone to ruin their wedding video :)

Buba Kastorski October 18th, 2011 12:30 PM

Like my buddy said: "Make sure noone calls during ceremony" :)

Ian VanCattenburch October 18th, 2011 02:34 PM

I couldn't even get my I-phone to just load an application quickly. I sure wouldn't want to take the place of an actual camera body. Anyways, having all of those nice lenses and the steadicam on an I-phone is like putting nice rims on a Pinto

Alen Koebel October 18th, 2011 10:35 PM

Good for a laugh, anyway. The danger (especially for you Aussies where the piece was broadcast) is that someone will take it seriously. "Hey Aunt Sue, noticed you using your phone to take video of our wedding. Can you send us the shakycam files? We were too cheap to hire a videographer on our not-so-special day."

Long Truong October 19th, 2011 03:37 AM

I wouldn't be too worried for them Alen. A client who takes this seriously is most likely a client who doesn't value our work in the first place. That's not the type of client I would personally want to work with anyways.