DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Recommend ME a stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/501796-recommend-me-stabilizer.html)

Chad Whelan October 19th, 2011 09:04 PM

Recommend ME a stabilizer

Coming from a background of "video cameras" like the PD 150 and Z1 I have been able to achieve fluid handheld shots thanks to camera image stabilization, a steady hand and using lots of slow motion. I have moved onto the FS100 and have now entered into a different world in many aspects. For the couple months I have owned this cam I have resorted to more tripod shots and the use of a monopod where I would normally be handheld. Even with the stabilized sony 18-200 kit lens I cannot get the same fluid motion as before, which honestly I expected. I really want to move onto shooting 24p also so will be doing away with a lot of the slow mo aspect.

Basically I am looking for something that will allow me the same type of motion you can achieve shooting handheld but will stabilize the image with or without a lens with image stabilization. I purchased a shoulder mount support a few years back for my Z1 to see what it would be like and I hated it so that has been sticking in my mind before I make a purchase.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Chad

Chris Harding October 19th, 2011 09:35 PM

Re: Recommend ME a stabilizer

Hi Chad

I run Panny shoulder mount cameras and despite being a shoulder mount I still get the "wobbles" and a lot less fluid motion even with the fairly heavy camera.

Now, what I have done is made a small rail system under the cameras with a simple plate just under the lens hood as that was the part that needed lifting and hence introducing instability. I then made up a belt with a front pouch...it was originally a camera bage that clipped around your waist and I just ripped away the bag part and stitched on a pouch. Finally I have a stabilizer rod which I got from Cine City in India and it's essentially a tiny monopod with two sections BUT each section has springs inside .... the one end goes into the pouch and the other has a mini ballhead fitted and screws under the camera.

Works like a dream and cost under $50!!! If you want to see the same commercial version google the DV ENG rig ..I think Varizoom make it but not too sure.

It helps me so it might be a solution for you too???

Chris

Don Bloom October 20th, 2011 12:26 PM

Re: Recommend ME a stabilizer

DV Multirig- the commercial version of what Chris made. I've used it with PD series for a number of years and even have the DV Eng rig for fullsize cameras and it worked great. With some practice you can make moves that are almost and I emphsize almost as good a steadicam. Again I emphisize almost. Not cheap but they work great. BTW, I think Danny who owns DV Tec also makes the rigs for Varizoom.