DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DVD Formats (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/501837-dvd-formats.html)

Paul Ardesch October 21st, 2011 07:16 AM

DVD Formats

Can't seem to find a DVD brand/format that is bulletproof and works on everyones DVD players! I Have exhausted the possibilities at the local retailers in order to find that 'universal' blank DVD. Perhaps its my program or burner? They are a bit hit and miss... I have even had customers come back and tell me that there copies now jump or stick now. (after 9 months of owning them) I think its when they get a new DVD player that they are coming into dramas. Any help?

Captureyourspecialday.com (can't afford a real website.com)

Katie Fasel October 21st, 2011 08:33 AM

Re: DVD Formats

What program are you using to author / burn?

Since switching to Taiyo Yuden DVDs, and burning everything from Toast at 4x we have had no problems. Slower write speed = less chance of errors usually.

if it's sticking / skipping, it sounds like it could be a data rate problem...I don't know too much about this, but I know if you search around this forum people have said that encoding your video too high could cause this problem.

Jeff Harper October 21st, 2011 09:11 AM

I have used the Taiyo Yuden http://www.rima.com/prod/1774-100.html for years, on occasion will have a bad burn, but very seldom, and I burn at 18X (discs are rated at 16x or so but actually burn faster).

I would look at a new burner if I were you, as I agree with Katie on that point. When you start getting lots of bad discs it's time for a new burner. Some burners don't last more than a few months depending on how much you burn with them. They wear out. Some will last for years, you just never know.

If you follow Katie's and my advice and buy the Yuden's, you can then know the problem with bad discs is likely your burner or a software issue. These are considered the best blank media you can buy.

If you have issues going on with your PC while burning it could also cause issues.

Don Bloom October 21st, 2011 12:09 PM

I agree with all above. I've been using TY watershield since they came out and have burned hundreds and hundreds and haven't had a single bad burn. My burner is now 3 or 4 years old (Pioneer 121 IIRC) and while it's not the most modern technology it's a solid as a rock. Burning at 4X just cause I'm old school.
I'd look into a new burner and give the TY discs (now under the JVC corporation) and see how that works out.

Chris Davis October 21st, 2011 04:12 PM

I use TY Premium or Watershield (or Disc Makers Hydro-shield, which are just rebranded TY) or Disc Makers Ultra. I've made thousands upon thousands of disks on my automated duplicator over the past five years and have never had a single complaint.

I always burn at 1/2 the rated disk speed (for example, if it's a 16x disk, I burn at 8x) and I always use the verify function.

If you are consistantly having problems, I'd suspect the drive first, then perhaps the media. Honestly, I'm leery of any media you can buy at "a local retailer".

Anyway, the best advice I can give is to *never* burn at the highest rated speed.

Kevin Lewis October 21st, 2011 06:01 PM

I used to have this problem when I burned a disc directly from the time line. Now I create a video ts file and burn from that. Since I have started doing this, I no longer have a problem. I am using
Pinnacle Studio 12.

Chris Harding October 21st, 2011 07:28 PM

Hi Paul

Silly question maybe but are you sure some DVD +R's haven't got mixed up in your normal disks. +R disks are notorious for refusing to play in some players!!! Just make sure it's a -R disk!! I use maybe 100 blanks a month and never have had any issues with either Laser or LG disks here!!

Chris

Allan Black October 21st, 2011 08:27 PM

When our audio cassette biz started years ago, we managed to secure the contract for supplying the background music for most of the retail store chains in Australia. We did all the mastering too, regular weekly biz, thankfully we never noticed the 1980s recession.

But when CDs came along we HAD to get into the CD replication biz to keep the contract as the stores changed over.

As the orders increased, the rep speed became a huge deal to maintain the quality. Getting industry info and testing we found if you burn too fast, the red laser doesn't have time to burn 'square edges' on the pits, 1:1 speed and it can skip and it's just too slow anyway.

We found the best burn speed was X4 and I've found the best DVD-R copies of our current videos to be at the same speed. Faster rated DVDs and CDs are just the result of competition.

Cheers.

D.J. Ammons October 21st, 2011 09:33 PM

I was also wondering if you are using - or + discs. I have been using the run of the mill Memorex minus DVD's from Sams Club for years and I have never had a DVD returned as unreadable. Of course I test them on two DVD players before I give them to a customer.

Years ago I had a DVD recorder that used + DVD discs and it was horrible. Probably 75% of the discs I tried to burn in it would not work.

Paul Ardesch October 22nd, 2011 02:42 AM

we are using the -R discs. I will slow the burn to see if that helps. After it burns and then says that there are no errors are we saying that their might still be? I am using a Pioneer BluRay burner that is 8 months old. I am using the burning utility supplied with Pinnacle. I will give it a test run the next set of discs I do. thanks

Chris Harding October 22nd, 2011 05:46 AM

Hi Paul

I might be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure that Pioneer burners were biased towards +R disks for some reason....I tried experimenting with +R's a long time ago and they always played in Pioneer DVD players but little else. If you still have an issue with the disks, a generic burner is so cheap nowdays I would get a replacement and see if it solves the problem... I have a Samsung in one machine and LG's in the other two and never any issues and each burner cost me around $20!! I always burn my 16X DVD's at 16X and also haven't had an issue.

What you can also try is author the DVD in your Pinnacle software so you end up with the usual Audio_TS and Video_TS folders and then just write those to the DVD in Windows...Win 7 has a neat wizard that will do it right from the folder for you. On my older machines on XP Pro I use Nero and also no problems and no issues. I would also test the project once it has written to the TS folders and make sure the video and audio play correctly on your computer....by doing it step-by-step you can see if the DVD compile might be causing the problem, or the burning software, or the actual burner.

Nowdays it shouldn't be necessary to have to burn at slow speeds unless you have a very old machine!!!

Chris

Jeff Harper October 22nd, 2011 07:21 AM

I just sent out my first batch of -dvdr discs, all of them not readable, just heard from customer yesterday. I never have used -dvdr because they are reputed, I thought to be the least compatible. I bought them by mistake.

Don Bloom October 22nd, 2011 07:27 AM

Actually Jeff -R discs are looked at as being the far more compatible than +R and have been for a long time. I used to try to burn +R when I first started doing DVDs and never had any sucess with either burning or getting them to play universally. I made the switch to -Rs and haven't burned but 2 coasters since and both were my own fault. Thousands upon thousands of discs. All -R not one client has ever said they don't work. Of course 10 years from now it might be a different story but I guess I worry about it then. (maybe)

O|O
\--/

Kevin Lewis October 22nd, 2011 08:53 AM

Paul:
Since we are both using Pinnacale and I had the same problem at one point, I would strongly suggest that you create an image then burn from that instead of burniing from the timeline if this is what you are doing. I have not had a problem since. This is something that you can do within Pinnacale itself.

Jeff Harper October 22nd, 2011 09:40 AM

Well Don, I stand corrected. But I can also add that my friend Jeff uses only +DVDR and he produces thousands, and I do mean many thousands of discs yearly using his arrays of duplicators (he does a lot of bigger jobs) and we have always used the same discs. He's the one that got me on the + from day one.