DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   24p for the web (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/502460-24p-web.html)

Jeff Harper November 8th, 2011 10:00 AM

24p for the web

I'm considering trying out 24p for weddings, as all my cameras have that shooting mode available, and can therefore match.

I'm troubled with the issue of how web clips need to be handled for Vimeo, or other services. How do those of you that shoot in 24p handle the web aspect? Do you convert to 30p using your NLE, or do you allow the video hosting service to recompress it for you?

I'm assuming no video hosting service displays video in 24p, am I mistaken?

Danny O'Neill November 8th, 2011 10:55 AM

Re: 24p for the web

Vimeo supports 24p, 25p and 30p. So upload your 24p footage and you will be all fine.

Jeff Harper November 8th, 2011 11:33 AM

Thanks Danny, I had no idea Vimeo supported 24p. I guess I'm joining the ranks of 24p shooters. I very much like 720 60p, but my new camera doesn't have that ability, so I'm being dragged into it. I have very little wedding activity left for the year, so it's a great time to test it out.

Kawika Ohumukini November 8th, 2011 11:35 AM

Here's what I'm using as a guideline. I hope it's still accurate, cheers.

Compression guidelines on Vimeo

Taky Cheung November 8th, 2011 11:35 AM

Jeff, me too. I recently start shooting 24p. It's tricky when panning. So far I can't tell too much difference than in 30p. Here's a short clip I did in 24p and upload to vimeo

To me 720p60 is a bit video-ish.. it's good to making slow motion =)

Jeff Harper November 8th, 2011 11:47 AM

Nice Taky, very nice. I've got to get a stabilizer.

Taky Cheung November 8th, 2011 12:02 PM

Get a slider too! they aren't expensive..but the result is very cinematic like.

Jeff Harper November 8th, 2011 12:09 PM

I've wanted a slider also. This year I made the change to GH2s, and I've been focusing strictly on getting a system down. I shoot 4 cameras solo, and nailing focus, camera placement, etc alone has been taking all of my attention

This winter I'll get a stabilzer, and probably a slider too. Carrying the gear by myself and setting up for the reception is a challenge to get done in time at times as it is, but I'm up for it.

If I raise my prices this year as I plan to do, I will be able to afford an assistant. I used a person this year, but it was almost not worth the trouble or money.

Deborah Gallegos November 8th, 2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1695354)
Get a slider too! they aren't expensive..but the result is very cinematic like.

Hi, Taky, will you be selling sliders any time soon on your website L.A. Color Online | Online Photo/Video Gear Shop ? Thinking of it for my HV40s and future XF100 :)

Thanks!
Deborah

Taky Cheung November 8th, 2011 03:13 PM

I'm actually in the processing of sourcing a good quality slider... but no solid answer yet. =)

Buba Kastorski November 8th, 2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1695427)
I'm actually in the processing of sourcing a good quality slider... but no solid answer yet. =)

two tripods support is Cinevate Atlas 30, one tripod support Kessler Pocked Dolly, I haven't tried anything better, if you on budget - indislidermini is your best bet

Taky Cheung November 8th, 2011 04:00 PM

Jeff, I'm using Steadicam Merlin. it's light weight and fordable. So I can just put it in my bag without having to lug another bag.

Jeff Harper November 8th, 2011 04:08 PM

Taky, I know the Merlin is high quality, but I've wanted the HD1000 for a couple of reasons. Supposedly easier to balance, it's smaller, and as a bonus it does cost less. I've never laid eyes on either one, so I don't really know, but these things I've read in several places.

Nigel Barker November 11th, 2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1695446)
two tripods support is Cinevate Atlas 30, one tripod support Kessler Pocked Dolly, I haven't tried anything better, if you on budget - indislidermini is your best bet

Sadly the best slider that I have used is the unobtainable $1000+ Kessler Philip Bloom Signature Edition Pocket Dolly. The GH2 is so light that I have been able to use it successfully with a single tripod on a GlideTrack HD Hybrid that I would normally use with two tripods with a heavier camera.

David Grinnell November 13th, 2011 08:06 PM

Jag35 Slider

this slider looks promising, I'm looking at getting one as I use their one of their rigs for my GH2 and love it.