DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pricing Non Wedding Events? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/502713-pricing-non-wedding-events.html)

Denny Kyser November 15th, 2011 01:17 PM

Pricing Non Wedding Events?

How do you price events other than weddings.
I am being asked to video a martial arts studio black belt certifications and not sure how to charge.

There may be some behind the scenes work included and this will be for web use and a DVD.

I want to be reasonable, yet not give unlimited hours for a project.

I have never done anything but wedding, or volume work so not sure how to price this.

Don Bloom November 15th, 2011 01:41 PM

Re: Pricing Non Wedding Events?

I find out from the client what they want. Then I find out the delivery IE DVD, FLV for the web etc. Then I go to my office and figure out the number of hours needed to do the work. Shoot, edit, graphics, audio etc. I also figure in VO if needed, cost of music then by knowing (close as I can) how many shooting hours I know what to charge for that-be it half day or full day plus whatever I figure I need for post.
Then it's gets put into writing as a proposal and presented. Any changes made prior to the job gets a new addendum to the proposal and everything get signed with a copy for the client. If changes are made during production an addendum is done and signed before the work gets done and of course the client gets charged accordingly.
So whatever your hourly rate is becomes the key number along with the hours needed for shooting and post. If you don't have a 1/2 day or full day rate figure what you need to make for shooting, divid by 10 (since everything is figured on a 10 hour day) plus post. A 1/2 day is 5 hours plus 1. IOW I take the 5 hours and add the cost of 1 hour to that.
It kind of vauge I know but it all depends on the rates you have set for your business.
If it was me I would probably sharge a 1/2 day for shooting plus whatever I have decided is needed for post.
HTHs

Chris Harding November 15th, 2011 06:18 PM

My policy has always been to price my weddings much the same as commercial work so I cost a wedding at $75 per hour and also cost a commercial job at the same rate...I don't like some peoples idea of "doubling the price cos it's a wedding"

I guess the odd job is tricky to cost but you still have to make a profit!!! That's important to remember..my casual rates are $500 for a half day and $1000 for a full day (within our metro boundaries)

You don't say if these are maybe kids getting certifications??? Maybe each proud parent will want a DVD so you can cost that in as well and might be able to charge a little less for basic filming???

I do a Christmas pageant each year and it takes up my whole day and I charge the organization only $400 BUT they always buy at least 50 copies of the DVD which makes up the difference

Chris

Taky Cheung November 18th, 2011 04:05 AM

For corporate event, I usually charge $500 for the first hour, then $100 each additional hour. For other events like anniversary, birthday celebration, graduations.. those will be $300 first hour and $100 each additional hour.

David Schmaus November 18th, 2011 09:51 PM

I have a 1/2 day and full day rate. 5 and 10 hours. Mine happen to be $750 and $1200